More stock cars "street racing"...

It just doesn’t stop…this time a Mazda Miata and a Pontiac Grand Prix…

http://www.citynews.ca/images/2007-07/jul0207-streetracing.jpg

Highway Crackdown Continues While Cops Probe Suspected Street Racing Incident

Monday July 2, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff

A couple in their 50s was sent to hospital in serious condition following a crash police believe was the result of street racing. A Mazda Miata collided with their car on the westbound lanes of Highway 401 near Allen Rd. Sunday night. Police arrested the Mazda driver and charged him with dangerous driving.

Authorities are still looking for the driver of a dark-coloured Pontiac Grand Prix, who authorities believe was racing with the Miata at speeds of up to 150km/h. They allege the driver of the Miata was weaving in and out of traffic.

Police assert the collision could have been avoided. “What is really sad is this weekend we’ve been targeting high speeds and street racers and even worse, we’ve been catching them but they are still getting in crashes,” said OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley, adding a message for motorists who witness dangerous driving. “If you see high speeds, street racing, or impaired drivers call us on *OPP or 911. We had a lot of good calls and we prevented some serious crashes like this but we need help with the rest.”

Woolley admitted he was disappointed to see many still weren’t getting the message about safe driving on the holiday weekend.

“Even just a few hours ago (on Monday morning), a man caught doing 193 kilometres per hour on the 407,” he said. “It is not just a breach of the Highway Traffic Act, it is the laws of physics that really come into play there. Certainly there are heavy fines and other potential outcomes to that, but if someone crashes at those speeds we’re looking at serious injury or fatality.”

Fortunately it appears the couple struck in the 401 crash is going to be okay - their health has reportedly improved significantly at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.

Anyone with information about the Grand Prix driver can call the OPP at 416-235-4981.

The guys doing 193kmh is most likely some rich dude in a Porsche or AMG Benz who doesn’t give a fuck about the fines, he just pulls the money out of his back pocket and gets on with his day.

Or he could be ahmed.

if you watch that posted segment, the guy in the yellow tibraun(sp?) and the blue mazda 3 i see both these guys about 6 times a day at shoppers world tim hortons, and its funny to see them actually getting there cars pulld i for one know these cars have only intakes. not even exhaust.

lol I find it funny that this man has devoted his life to stopping this sort of thing but people with factory cars and normal pos’s still do it and ignore the crap in the news.

Until I read the stuff on here I had no clue about any of this. I never watch tv.
I say that Woolley or what ever his name is can go to hell.

K, I justed watched the clip, no wonder the 3 and Tib got stopped if they are speeding in fucking heavy traffic in the middle of the day. At 2am when there is like 5 cars on teh road, you won’t hit anyone. lol

Although tragic and annoying to us, these “street racing” incidents with stock random cars hopefully might introduce the concept to people that it’s not just tuner cars that drive like that, it’s usually average cars, and “average” people. And although I don’t condone it in any way, I’d rather see someone driving aggressively in a car with upgraded brakes and suspension, or some type of performance type vehicle that can at least allow them to respond to a situation, instead of just barreling into the back of the car in front of them…

The problem is that the masses don’t even look at the car in situations like this. (it’s just some grumpy old guy at home going “damn those kids with their fast and furious and need for speed and modified cars and loud music, they should put them all in jail” and then he goes back to watching Wheel of Fortune.

Agreed, all very true.

I think logik has a point. Unfortunately, stereotypes exist in our society, and breaking them IMO, won’t be as simple as demonstrating that “normal/average” people also do this sort of thing.

Especially the rich dudes with the expensive cars; in general, the general public will still be more stereotypical, and LESS RESPECTIVE of the tuner crowd, than the “successful folk” who drive Mercedes around.