stupid question about exhaust cutouts/dumps

would these get mounted BEFORE the cats or AFTER? my common sense tells me before, but the whole headers-crossover pipe-cat assembly is SOOO tight in my truck as it is, i would be worried that putting them before would only add to the clusterfuck of exhaust components around the transmission. im also worried that putting them after the cats won’t really make the thing any louder. i will have a high flow magnaflow cat on there in the spring, and am currently running a Magnaflow Magnapack (basically a resonator) for a muffler.

well, what are u goin after…sound or performance?..

regardless, u want them before the cats. if not possible, the can go after, but the gains wont be that much. same thing respectively goes with sound.

the bigger your cam, the more you will benefit. the more restriction your exhuast is closed, the more you will benefit. BUT, if you already have a good flowing exhaust, and a baby cam, you might not gain shit. you WILL lose some low end tq

it pretty much depends on ur valvetrain. if its stock, i would say dont bother.

this winter i have plans to get a more agressive cam, as well as some full roller rockers (also going from a stock 1:6 ratio up to a 1:7).

so what your saying is i may be better off without them, even with the mods? my engine is all about low end, but the exhaust is holding it back top end, and im sure replacing the stock downpipes and cat will help, but my goal here was to even out the power band a little: sacrifice a little low end, but elimiate the flow restrictions holding back top end. make sense?

Honestly, if you’re not FI, I don’t think it’d be worth it.

My personal opinion here.

it will be. prob 2 summers from now. seen as how im getting a new front half of my exhaust, im thinking i might as well have these thigns put in now. im trying to take care of all the little bullshit now so that when i am ready to go forced induction, everything else will be ready for it.

just get a good exhaust.

DONT waste your money … the FIRST thing you should buy is a F.A.S.T. standalone cause it is IMPOSIBLE(sp?) to tune the stock ECU… no matter what internal parts you change (cam,heads,stroker kit … whatever) … the mopar ecu always keeps a stock tune … even if you move your dizzy … the computer adjusts itself … they are garbage …

just put a bottle on it … and buy a standalone

Agreed, you always sound like you are trying to flush money down the drain. Why not try to get the real issues squared away first.

As far as the “little shit”, it not needed for a turbo car so it shouldn’t even be on that list. A properly built system will work just as well seeing as it’s won’t be constantly at the track. The power gain is negligable usually unless the exhaust is a serious restriction.

Headers or stock manifolds … both go into a 3"y-pipe … so size is not a problem … IMO a cutout is worthless unless you own an F-body … they seem to be the only car that responds well to them

the only need to cut-out before the cat or go cat-less is if u have FI…cats are as restrictive as everyone likes to think…

truth. i read an article where they did a dyno test between a stock cat, a high flow cat, and a test pipe. guess what. the test pipe gains only 1hp and LOSES 2tq over a high flow cat. the high flow cat picks up like 2-3hp and 3-4 tq

i would not buy one even for FI cause if u hit any sort boost while the butterfly plate is closed kaboom

Your money and time can be spent better elsewhere. PS, your top end isn’t nuetered by your exhaust, it’s being nuetered by your cam, and your not so well flowing heads.

I’m not talking out of my ass, I wanted a supercharged 360 in my Jeep a long time ago, I know your pain.

If you don’t already just get high flow cats and you will be fine. From a good flowing exhaust you would be lucky to gain a few horse power from cutouts unless you had a monster motor or forced induction.

Agreed, Cut outs are not needed when you have a decent exhaust. Using a cutout will allow for a poor exhaust flow path and less backpressure when open. A proper exhaust makes power all the time, keeps back pressure down and as a result helps lower EGT’s slightly as there is less restriction or pumping losses on the engine.

:eyebrow: maybe if you get a shit ass plate. ive had no problems with mine.

but i agree with everyone here. the only reason i have a cutout is becuase, i have much more cubes than the majority of the turbo peeps here…and it would be impossible to have my exhuast be proportionably larger. therefore, i the cutout helps me alot, limiting backpressure across my turbine.

even the “well responding” NA f-bodies have minimal power gains, and im talkin big time builds.

i thought about a cutout too, but i talked it ovber with don, and a 3" full exhaust is a way better option than a cutout for all the reasons he posted. spend your mony on heads and a cam. high flow cat if you feel the need to mod your exhaust. then save for FI…your gonna need a boatload of $$$

i more ot less wanted it so i could make it louder ‘on demand.’ call me a ricer.

Fucking ricer.

On that note, do it pre cat, it will be a lot louder. Regardless of being pre or post cat - it will be much louder sounding to you - because it will be dumping a lot closer to your window. I’m sure your car is loud enough currently as it doesn’t have a real muffler.

Also, other pleasant side effects include smelly cabin, and hopefully carbon monoxide gas poisoning.

im going to see what it sounds like with the new high flow cat and bigger downpipes. i thought that the dumps would help out the top end power a little bit because the exhaust is holding it back.