Stupid questoin

Hey guys,

You know how it (obviously) puts more stress on the engine and whatnot at high RPM, hence why it’s not too great an idea to shift at 4-5k every time, or cruise at that RPM in 3rd or something…

Well I have question, cause I usually drive like 130-150 on the highway, which is at like 3.5-4k RPM…which is pretty high… I was wondering if it causes a lot of extra stress on the engine when I’m driving for say 30 mins like that compared to if I was cruising at 120…cause I’ll slow down if I’m killing the car by keeping the revs up there for a long time.

Thanks.

Nah, it’s ok. if your motor is strong and in good shape, just keep ontop of the maintenance and you’ll be fine.

you’ll be fine.

Nah, just fuel mileage will drop.

these DOHC 4 cylinders like to rev higher than average. you’ll be fine. Just stay on top of your oil levels/changes

That’s what I also noticed… I can never cruise below like 1900 rpm on these cars or it will shake a lot when I give it even a bit of gas, and if i’m below like 1600 it’s REALLy bad. On my civic I can put it in 5th at like 35 and it’s still perfectly fine heh.

Thanks for the replies though :slight_smile:

130-150? isn’t that a little fast for the highway? limit is 110, do 120-130, there’s no need to be doing 150 on a regular basis.

If I followed rules, I’d wish it were 110 in ON…

Greatest saying ever - ‘There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots’

I find I can cruise at 40kph in 5th no problem… pickup is slow, but no shuddering. 2.4 = more torque then 1.5 :twisted:

Are you serious? I have to be going atleast 70kph to feel comfortable in 5th… car vibrates soooooo much otherwise.

I was exagerating a little about 35, but I can very comfortably (and usually do) shift into 5th at like 55 in the Civic and it’s fine, and it will go ok still in 40. In the 240 never below 65… if I put it at like 55 it goes crazy.

And I can’t go 40 in fifth in my 240, it will shake… I cruise in 3rd if i’m going 45-50 in the 240…

I was talking bout Maurice saying he can cruise at 40 in 5th… that’s just freakin insane!

Oh, I agree…

that could be true, but when you cruise in 5th at 40, you are using more or the same amount of gas as 3rd in 40 or possibly 2nd and 40… because you are loading the engine up so hard that you need to dump in extra fuel. because there is more load on the engine…

-Matt