Subframe Bushings Removal

Ok i need to replace my subframe bushing because im getting my subframe sandblasted and painted so im going to replace the bushings while its out i was wondering how i can remove the old bushings (do not have a press) and what kind of bushings should i put in? i was lookin at bings but was wonderings the pros and cons of installing them

please help

~ Justin

Whiteline makes a polyurethane bushing kit i believe which is said to restore your car’s saggy old grandmother feel to a new car feel.

PDM sells whiteline products, I’m not sure who sells them in Ontario.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspensionbush.html

are those the bushings your referring to? if so does neone kno decent quality who sells in canada? id like to find a kit like that ill need all the bushings sometime but if you only kno about subframe thats fine too

~ Justin

according to nissan, these bushings are “irreplaceable” and they said that i would need to buy a new subframe from them for $800.

i’ve looked for poly bushings, but all i found were inserts, not bushing replacements.

in order to remove my bushings, i had to use a torch and burn them out (burn them until they disintegrated and turned into a black powder). i then took an air chisel and peeled away the metal “sleeves” or “buckets” or whatever you want to call them where the old bushings used to be in order to allow bing’s aluminum bushings to be pressed in (with the help of scribbles). to press them in, we used a large C-clamp and two small pieces of scrap sheet metal. not really difficult, just a bit tedious.

hope it helps.

Ya. You have to have someone who knows what they are doing to remove the old bushings, and you can have the new ones pressed in at some shop of your choice.

Solid subframe bushings take away the ride quality/feel and give it a race edge. Not really what you want for a street car, more of a track car only sort of thing. They also make some noise from what I understand.

solid bushings can be installed without a press, its just a lot easier with one. we burnt out the rubber bushings with a torch, then chiselled out what was left, supported the subframe with blocks of wood and hammered in the solid bushings, it took a few hours but it worked.

good luck.

not much. very bearable, and you get used to it very quickly. most people probably won’t notice it over the noise from their exhaust… :stuck_out_tongue:

Psssh, screw that, find some kind of torch and burn them out like darian said then take out all that built up anger and let it loose on the collars any way you can. Then use the C-clamp method to press them in.

Bing has a special on his aluminum bushings right now, they will create a stiffer ride and more of the noise from vibrations will be emitted to the cabin, but if your willing to sacrifice that then go for it. otherwise the only “subframe bushings” actually made for our cars are just inserts, so you will still need your old ones in there.

I do however remeber reading someing about the Z32 polyurothane bushings fitting into our subframes fine, so you may want to look into that if you dont want to go the aluminum route.

Man I respect doing your own work, but shit sometimes let somebody with the proper tools handle the job lol. Trevor, bashing shit till its fixed doesnt ALWAYS work.

Also Trevor, Whiteline and plenty of other manufacterers make regular/poly bushings for our application. PDM has what you need, with overinflated prices to boot.

thanks for all the feedback guys. i talked to bing shortly and i think im going to go with the solid bushings. btw i forgot to mention i have some access to a press at school.

~ Justin

Meh, if it works then roll with it.

And do you have a link to the poly bushings? i’ve searched but havnt actually found any.

its actually not hard at all. just takes alot of effort, time, and common sense.

ooyea and i saw some whole poly subframe bushings that u press into the subframe a while back on ebay. its gone now though.

Justin, you don’t even need a press bro. it takes about 15-30 minutes to press them all in using a C-clamp.

the main reason i went this route was because i didn’t feel like dishing out the cash for a brand new subframe (two front bushings tore through, all the way around) and i got to work on my stubborn car.

Ok so im starting removing them so far so good. and i just ordered a set of solid subframe bushings from bing they were on special woot so those are on the way when i get my subframe sandblasted and painted with my bushings installed ill take some pictures for you guys thanks for the help

~ Justin