Subs under the seats?

And the lfe from factory subwoofers generally sucks. Overemphasized response humps at 60hz. I have never heard a factory sub system that wasn’t awful. Plus, how many underseat oem setups have you seen that combine the amp and speaker into one package and stuff it under there. How many offer user availble gain controls or bass boost which open the doors to endless clipping (and overheating)?

How would you explain how I have extension down to 40hz and am subless at the moment? I can’t wait to see what happens when I put two peerless sls8’s in each of my doors.

Just because you’ve been doing this “a long time” doesn’t mean anything. You apparently know everything about subsystems and installs based on your knowledge of achievable frequency response.

You’re never going to get any kind of boom from underseat subs. There is not a single advantage an underseat sub system has to that of a properly built soundstage.

/newb.

I have a stock imprezza one in my hatch, there is some advantages

1. Light weight 11.88@121mph proof!
  2. adds some depth to the music nothing big just depth I dont listen to any type of loud music at all.
  3. its under your seat
  4. it will work great with factory stuff
  5. feels good on bum

Hey guys, I wanted to revisit this thread cause I am about to buy the stuff I need. I am still considering just keeping the stock HU and upgrading the speakers and putting a powered sub under the seat, but I have two questions.

1. If I want to do this, is there any type of slim sub that would use an external amp that I could then wire to my new speakers?

2. If I go with the small powered sub under the seat, will it still need grounded?

Again, I am sorry if these are stupid questions, but I am still pretty new to car audio/electronics and don’t want to get in over my head.

1. IMO, getting fancy here is a mistake. If you want a powered sub for under the seat, buy that and be done with it. If you looked I’m sure you could find a sub slim enough to put a box under the seat, my guess is for the best response it would be ported and it would be a freaking cram job under there. You could then run a separate amp to that sub and/or your other 4 speakers, but if you’re doing that you’re essentially starting to build a whole soundstage so you may as well do it right instead of dicking around with it. You also need to see whether your stock HU has pre-outs. If it does not, you will need an amp/powered sub that accepts line level inputs.

Basically I’d say either buy the powered sub, toss it in and be done OR buy good speakers, put in some sound deadener, and buy a decent 4-channel amp that will run them all. You will get richer, fuller sound that CAN have very nice bass response, instead of mediocre-at-best stock sound with a lot of mid-level bass.

1. Any external amp (which is what a “powered sub” is, just a sub with an amp built in the same enclosure) is going to require a ground wire.

use the kenwood one from earlier in this thread. I highly doubt you can find a slim sub that will fit in a box under the seat with the output it seems that you’re looking for. Possibly build up a subfloor 4" and put in a slim woofer with external amp. Just another option but for sure more work

ask F-B-A