Suggestion for collecting $

I suggested this in my old club (Toronto Accord Club) and it worked out very well. Rather than having RL’s collect money at meets, then passing it on, we should set up a PayPal account in SON’s name. That way, when something needs to get paid for, (ie, the driftnation banner) we can electronically send the money directly to the club. (Or presumably the new club treasurer)

Any comments? 8)

its a good idea… two issues first of all

1. we need a treasurer
  2. how many of you members have paypal accounts?

I do internet banking, that might work with pay pal, if it doesn’t i’ll set one up.

DRE

You dont actually need a paypal account to send money, just a credit card. They do take a fee from the transaction, but I think it would still be worth it for all the hassle it would save.

And yes, we do need a treasurer. This may be a whole different thread altogether, but did anything as far as elections go get sorted out at Driftnation like it was supposed to? Or is it time to start an official “Campaign Platform” thread in the members section.

Hey, theres another good use for the members only section… only members can vote on Mods, Prez etc…

theres not much voting to be done… the only competition was for treasurer and event coordinators i thought…

I have a PayPal account. Like Dre, I can accept payment online through
my bank as well. However the bank (at least mine, TD) charges $1.50
for every online bank-to-bank transaction.

If Dre wishes to be Treasurer, all the power to him. :slight_smile:

I don’t wanna be treasurer… I was answering Andrew’s question

DRE

i could be treasurer, and as my first act i publicly denounce PAYPAL…

i hate them and would only use them out of necessity.

i have had extensive dealings with them and i have never once been impressed with their service.

they dont care enough about their customers to even have a competent telecommunications department.

no paypal…

it would be worth it to simply collect the money by hand to avoid the risk of losing everyrthing because paypal lost it, and the fees associated with them.

i am not particularily fond of paypal either
they give me a ton of hassle over everything, and are hard to deal with

frig, i cant even begin to tell the problems i have had with them…

it has been nearly a year and my last payment still has not been received.

Hm, alright… the only reason I suggested them is I have been using them for years with no problems. It just made collecting funds from all over the GTA much more simple with the Toronto Accord Club.

If so many people have reservations about using them, then the idea should be scrapped.

I think everyone would agree that it doenst work having a post that says “We need to pay $X for the banner!” and then hoping to collect the money at future meets. That way, it only ends up being a few people that pay for everything. Just my $0.02…

yes it is most certainly half-assed…

i thought i would just let people know that Dre fronted a fair bit of pocket lint for the event and that we are in-debted to him still.

^^^Thanx.

DRE