Suspension questions

Alright… so I’m looking for my first set of suspension parts for my 240sx hatch. I decided I wanted coilovers for the car a while ago… so I am currently in the process of saving for them and trying to figure out the best purchase option for my car.

The problem is… the 240 is going to be my daily driven car… and occasionally tracked… This means it will probably (sadly) be driven during the winter. I’ve heard about the life-span of coilovers and read lots of information about them… most people seem to say after 2-3 years the coilovers are done for… and by looking at any used pair I can tell you they look fucked after that long. Sooo… Basically my friend told me that I might as well go with springs/struts so I don’t destroy my coilovers and be pissed off a year later when the winters fucked em up.

Opinions on this? I still want a firm ride, no bouncy-ness… and would rather have a more firm ride than a softer one even for DD use. I was originally going to get 8kg front and 6kg rear for springs on my coilovers so they were firm, yet don’t break my back. -sigh- I’m torn right now between what to do. I don’t want to waste ~$1300 on coilovers… to replace them in 2 years when I engine swap… so suggestions on a spring/strut combo that I can get dd and track usage out of? Again… I’d rather have them be more firm… then soft at all… Can I do this? And what are your guys thoughts/ideas?

With my old DD coupe, I swapped the coil’s every winter / spring.

^^ +1. Take out the coils when winter hits. The threads dont like salt and the valving doesnt like cold.

tru keep ur springs that u have the on the car now and swap them when it gets cold

Alright, sounds good thats probably what I’m going to do then. I’ve been looking at coilovers and suspension for a while now… and can’t decide between 12kg/10kg spring rates or 8kg/6kg… I’ve never had experience in really driving around with coilovers… this is the first set I’m buying. I understand the riggidity of them, and have rode around with people with coilovers and I’ve never found it to be that bad. I’m going to be daily driving the car as I mentioned in my previous post, but what do you think would be the best? I’m thinking track maybe twice a month, if that… but I also want something pretty stiff (no homo)… suggestions!!!

8kg/6kg 100%, I run 8kg/6kg springs on my Stance GR+, it’s good.

Get 12/10 for drifting…

Will they be hard enough for the track?.. or am I going to end up wanting something more from stiff?

Start with 8/6 then buy 9/7 or, heaven forbid, 12/10 later. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 9/7’s at home but they won’t get installed…

It’s that bad huh? I was thinking 10/8’s would probably be perfect for me… somewhere in the middle y’kno? Butttttt… I have no real seat experience with them like I said, so I’ll do what most people say to do and go 8/6. Thanks a lot dude for helpin me out.

please dont give advice if you dont know what your talking about

love you

it’s true, i don’t drift… also my advise was old word of mouth from when Jesse was still around… (specifically drifting, i like my 8/6 setup)

<3 you too

Since you guys have swapped back and forth every winter, how long does it take to do the job yourself with basic handtools?

Also, what about alignments, you do 2 alignments per year due to the swapping?