Switch Room Revamp

Before

After

I know it’s not the most professional or neatest job ever, but it beats kneeling on the ground for 10 minutes tracing out a cable only to find you have the wrong cable.

We spent about 2 weeks, ~2 hours a day moving drops from switches into a core switch. We pulled out around 7-8 old switches and it wound up dropping the temperature from 87-88 down to about 79-80 (HVAC system is being installed in the future). We used 7ft blue cables to replace the 10-25ft cables that were in place before. Most of the printer cables (orange) were 3 footers. First major renovation I’ve done, and since we couldn’t just rip out everything and start new, this is what we had to deal with.

Ewww are those old nortel baystacks?

Those things are tanks however

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/formulals1/IMG_0195.jpg

Last one I did I would like less bends on the fiber but its not done yet so :tif:

Yeah those are Nortels most of our newer stuff is moving to Cisco switches. You can see the green 48-port ones with the 10 Gig Aqua in it. Our new building is nice and clean, cable management all over, color coded cables. Unfortunately the cable management above was piss poor so we had to make do.

Oh those Nortels are primarely used on our lower priority “Guest Net”, Wireless, and a few little networks for odds and ends. The majority of our main networks run on the cisco switches (model number escapes me).

Looks like there isn’t a whole lot of copper running into those blades you have.

Haha switch rooms are disasters. I have pictures somewhere for two projects my friend and I did for side work in college over a weekend recabling an entire switch room. Pretty fun and always leads to happy IT people.

Dorks.

It actually is kinda fun, if you get to start from the ground up. In our new building we made sure that this disaster didn’t happen again. Will post some pics tomorrow.

We used those sames nortels at the sabres for their guest network…

Yea a lot of the stuff is fiber and there are a bunch of 10Gb fiber links :tspry:

The two on the right are Alcatel 7750 SR12s the one on the left is a Juniper MX960 which is just getting deployed 480Gb of throughput :tspry: :tspry:

Paduit FTW.

Yea they make some good stuff

I’m wondering if doing cable ties all the way down the channels is the way to go?

I wouldn’t do tie wraps…

use velcro strips

Don’t you geeks do reverse-end tagging?

yes, defiantly do not use cable ties. I took Panduits “Certified Installer” program since I sell their stuff and we built the room in my office. Panduit would not certify or warranty the install if there were any cable ties.

I label all my cables however most people don’t

That setup he has doesn’t look that big anyways…I know with most smaller offices/server rooms people don’t bother

Yeah that’s what I meant. Which IS what we used on each row of the patch panel and the core switch. Would you recommend doing velcro ties down the channels?

I usually use it down the channels that way when you add/remove cables later you’re not cutting wire ties.

Yeah, the only Zip Ties that are used are to the actual drops from the patch panel. We do none of that cable pulling and terminating so, doesn’t really effect us.

The fiber shelf on the top…I wish someone would come up with a better solution for those.

We use those boxes for multiple mux/demuxs and it makes managing fiber that isn’t the exact length a bitch.

Lol we ran into the problem of it being either 5" short in some areas or 2m too long. Biggest challenge is keeping the fiber separate from the copper.

Thats what she said