Tail Light Restoration

Here is a set of taillights that I fixed up. This is also how i do my headlight restoration, It is the same concept. I will also throw in some helpful information for anyone looking to do this project on there own.

Theses are in vary rough shape, Looking almost pink. So first things first the were removed, I removed them from the vehicle. Here was what i started with.

The taillights were then wet sanded using 600 grit, 800, then 1000. here is one of the lights wetsanded down.

One i had them wet sanded.to where i was happy with the amount of defect removal. I then using clear coat, sprayed the taillights. I then ended up with a clear lens free of any defects.

here is a side by side of the fixed light to the faded light.

Alot of time you will see people correcting headlights and taillights by wet sanding then down, then taking a buffer with compounds and polishes, removing the sanding marks. While this method works, the lights go unprotected allowing the suns uv rays to haze the light over again.

Waxing unprotected headlights will help them, but will still allow the uv rays to penetrate the lens making it hazy or turn yellow. Spraying the lights with clear coat will give the lights a permanent coating of protection, Keeping them from hazing over or turning yellow on you again. Keeping you from having to do the whole process over again.
                      Thanks for looking

Mine are not bad and I just wax them because they’re flat and easy to do. Never thought to clear coat them. I guess I’d be worried about spraying them uneven and making them look worse, lol.

What product do you use to clear the lenses? Are you using any adhesion promotors to get the clear to bond to plastic?

any quality clear should work, look for one that offers uv protection. I am also trying a new product out. i will post it up with my thoughts. As far as an adhesion promotor, have not used one. the sanding marks allow adhesion.

I’m sure they’d have a nice and even tooth after being sanded, that’s a pretty nice technique.

Yeah let us know. I wasn’t scrutinizing, just asking. I figured the clear would stick, just wondering if there was some silly exception that tail light plastic needed an adhesion promoter or something. You’re using aerosol clears right?

do you use a sanding block or is it all free hand? How long does it take you to do a set like that? (Just wondering cause I have two OBS chevy trucks that need it done.)

Yes, i use a spray on clear. Make sure it is a fast drying clear. Especially if these will be put on, or are still on the vehicle. Light even coats instead of one heavy coat.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Depending on the light housing, Where i am doing this. I do use a soft sanding block. I also have done this by hand with great results. If doing it by hand, make sure you are apply even pressure. For how long it takes? it depends how bad the lights our. If they are really bad start with a more aggressive paper and work up to 1000. I would say on average i spend 30 to 45 min of sanding. Then have to add in the time it takes to clear and dry.