Taking a moment to appreciate the Universe

Warning: Long, random, boring, possibly deep, and easily combustable post ahead.
(And maybe a tad bit of humor afterwards)

So I get out of work today around 12:30 tonight, and look at the sky realising that we rarely take the opportunity to appreciate what we have or taking advantage of the limitless potential we posess. Or how we take for granted the things we have.

I step into my pimp-ass turbo wagon, sit down looking at the simple light on the ceiling glowing away upon triggering it by opening the door. Once close noticing how it uses a simple capacitor discharge to allow it to fade from view gently. A nice touch, I put the key in and turn it. Sending large amounts of stored energy through the starter silianoid. So it can start a bunch of small insignificant explosions in a large metal chamber.

I hear the gentle humming of the boxer engine under the hood. All being controlled by a computer that is constantly calculating thousands of times per second to keep the engine running. Keeping track of the crank position, the ambient air temperature, how far the idle air controller is open, how fast the engine is turning over, firing the fuel into the cylender at just the right time with just the right mixture. How the intake valve opens just as this happens allowing a good portion of the fuel into the combustion chamber. So that when the right moment a little 0 changes to a little 1 in the fuel computer giving live to what would otherwise be a huge chunk of metal.

I then notice that even with the bright lights of the city downtown. I can still clearly see the stars, the moon, and just about everything possible to see with the naked eye. And thought to my self how would it would look to be where there are no visable artifical lights. The air is cool and clean, yet at the same time very relaxing. Even though it has no distinct scent or taste. You can almost smell winter comming as you inhale the air deeply into your lungs, and almost taste it the pending season change.

Pushing the clutch in, a hydralic piston moves smoothly allowing the clutch disk to seprate from the flywheel. A level moves causing a dance of mechanical magic to happen as gears are move, syncronized, and put into respective position. That position being first where everything has to start.

Letting the clutch out you can feel the enormous friction between the two plates turning the perfectly positioned gears. This process being followed by more gears turning. Eventaully sending respective amounts of power via some simple shafts to the front and back. With even further mechanical reduction being found before the power goes though some shafts precisely engineered to allow some flexability in a material that has little. Eventally sending power to the wheels. Where some poorly made tires then begin to push off against the earth resulting in the desired forward motion to leave.

The suspension moves allowing the wheels to move freely up and down. As the spring try to compress. Small shafts about two inches in diameter with much smaller holes inside, force oil through these tiny holes. Preventing the springs from having all the fun and allowing a nice smooth transistion between imperfect bumps. Many times per second doing this as well as it can for a simple econmy car. Amazing to think that it can carry this on for several thousand miles. Repeating over and over much like a running engine.

Taking it easy on the engine, as it inhales the cold air. And pushes out warm air I proceed to the highway. This air gradaully gets warmer as I head up the 190 along the lake. I take in the sites, the Peace Bridge standing there providing a solitary link where there would normally be none. The lake itself reflecting the lazy sunlight reflecting off what would otherwise be a dull grey ball of uninteresting dust a great distance away. Causing an almost brilliant glow.

Following along the lake the engine finally reaches operating tempature. Gazing at the horizon I look to verify the coast is clear of hazards. I push the clutch in slightly, opening up the throttle the fuel computer sees this, and prepares to fire even more fuel into the engine. Where it would shortly be meeting with even more air. The engine begins to gradually change pace and speeds up in it’s rotational process. The shifter towards 3rd as the clutch now being fully depressed. Locked in gear the gas pedal is pressed smoothly down until it won’t go any further. A flap is opened as far as it can go air is let in. Fuel is mixed, a spark is fired, the air is pushed on it’s way.

This air then passing some simple vanes balanced preciesly starts to spin up to aburdly high speeds. Attached to another set of vanes it starts to push air so that instead of gasping it is now having air force-fed to itself. More fuel is sent along. The process becomes now more violent, pushing some small little aluminium pistons down with great force as the volitile mixture explodes. Creating even more energy being sent out via the above describe methods.

You can hear the turbine tearing the very air we would breathe to shread. A very violent, process indeed as it starts to produce more power until there is no more that it can give based on it’s mechanical design. Pushing the car along to speeds that at one point in history would have had you tied to a stake and burned for practicing witchcraft. To what we would now consider a very time 65 Miles Per Hour.

Eventally after several miles I make it to the 290, then the 990. No destination in mind, infact quite a ways out of the way. Out here there was no traffic, few lights, almost nothing to distract ones self for admiring all that is around them. The stars clearly visable over the headlamps illuminating the way. Reflection of the Sun cast over the ground by the moon. Easily providing enough light to see the road. You start to realize how small you really are out there, and how a lot of the things around us are now common place. Even simple things like signs, and roads. Everything has a name, and usually a place to go with it.

Realizing it’s almost the perfect night for a random drive. The sky of absolutly stunning beauty as stars from far away gaze on us. No worries to be notices, no issues to discuss. As I cruise down the road with almost hundreds of small explosions a second occuring a few feet in front of me. To someone that would have never heard of it, or even grasped the concept of it. They would think we are insane for setting off intentional explosions, just to move around on this tiny hunk of rock we call Earth. But to the average person it’s not a big issue, and to a greater majority they don’t really car just as long as it makes noise and goes faster then they push “that pedal”.

All worries seem to melt away, nothing seems all to important in the moment. Always feeling something/someone is always looking down upon us. I start to realize that even with no close friends, money, or anything all besides a car and a place to live. But at the same time it didn’t feel worth being worried about anything at the moment.

It felt almost sureal with the starlight and moonlight working as one to melt it all away. That many of the things being worried about are trivial and just don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. It’s really calming as I soak in the moonlight, and enjoy the cool morning air rushing past my open window. Thinking of how things could easily be way worse than they are and yet they are not.
Making me feel extremely thankful for what I have, and what we with our limitless potential have created thus far.

Eventally though I would have to stop at some point an hour later, eventaully turning around. To head back home, greeted by a empty but none the less warm place I can call home. I look to the sky once more, admiring the stars glittering above. And oddly enough bringing a smile to my face right before I close the door. Making me thankful for the ability to enjoy life for a change. :slight_smile:

So why not take the moment to post what you are most thankful for. Or something that is amazing in the sense that it even works in a constant occurance:

Some examples of this could be:

-I am thankful for beer, and the accompanied drunken stupor!
-It’s amazing toilet can flush all that shit without clogging.
-Cheese is the greatest, it’s so rad.
-Santa totally ruled last year, she even gave me my present on the coffee table.
-My Audiwagon didn’t break today!
-My DSM didn’t… aww who am I kidding of course it did. But I still love it
-Boost :tspry:
-I love the ignore function, it works so great on FuzzyFish’s random posts.
-Etc. etc. etc.

Cliffnotes: Blah, blah, blah, [/huge fucking post with no point] if you are awake now I’d suggest going for a drive to check out the clear night sky. Otherwise post something you are thankful for, or are amazed at for a change.

Wow…sorry man but that is way too long to read. Cliffnotes needed. lol.

I enjoyed the read.

I am thankful for boobies.

I’m thankful for underaged sluts!

I kinda liked that!

haha thats pretty funny because I was JUST outside checking out the moon with my binocs. Then I look to the left of it (northeast) and I see a star flickering between red, green and white colors. freaking neat.

sure you weren’t high :wink:

that’s a good point though, as frustrated as I am with some shit, there’s certainly plenty that I consider myself quite lucky / thankful about. of course, unlike the Jesus freaks, I think I can thank luck and a bit of hard work but hey…

who me? neverrrrrrrrrr

I think that we have all had late night drives like this. I bet you didn’t have the raido on, or it was very quiet. you just enjoy everything thats around you. You notice things that you wouldent normaly notice.

I know exactly where you are comming from the only thing that sucks is the comming home part. Thats when you realize that you need someone to come home to.

definately deep.

Wow…sorry man but that is way too long to read. Cliffnotes needed. lol.

holly cow at least scan the post… for things like

Cliffnotes: Blah, blah, blah

:tup:

I love having a great job, it doesn’t pay well but I still enjoy what i do and it allows me to afford a great car that i love to drive, even if its just to the store.

Damn skippy, you know all too well. :tup: