Talk me out of 2 iPhone4s today...

I’m not leaving VZW anytime soon… but I thought the grace period was 15 days now…

Grace period is 14 days for service and device from a VZW store. Best Buy still has the 30 day device return period and same 14 day service window.

If I had more time I’d do a search in all the phone threads and pull up all of Fry’s posts over the last 4 years that say, “but just wait X months for the Droid XYZ to come out, because it’s going to be the ultimate”. It would be a long list because there is always some new miracle droid on the horizon that never quite lives up to expectations.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

I charge every night, but can make it 2 days if I forget to plug it in with average usage. It’s dead at the end of a day of heavy usage. Gmail push both email and calendar, 96% or so brightness. I’ve got a car charger and USB cord for it at work though so if I expect to be hammering on it I just keep it charged up.

Naw you wouldn’t find that many, but you would find me posting in that tablet thread that it’s stupid to wait since there’s always something better coming. Which I suppose is probably the right way to go here. Now that I think about it for 3 seconds instead of 2 I suppose it is silly to wait for a phone that’s compatible with a network that isn’t even in your city. Bad Fry.

I mean in this case you can get a generation newer device in two weeks so if it were me personally I’d wait, but it’s definitely not a big deal.

IMO I would NOT use a free app on a verizon iPhone to enable tethering. Verizon is smart and will watch your packets and if they notice that the packets contain a web browser that is not a mobile browser your service will be cancelled and you will be prompted to pay the ETF. Since the iPhone is going to be a data hog on verizons network they will be watching things pretty close. But thats just my opinion.

^ You hear the same fear mongering from people on AT&T, but I’ve never had them call. I don’t do stupid shit with mywi, just use it when I need to get my laptop or kindle online and I’m not in a free wifi area.

A friend at work just stopped by my desk to tell me he was transaction number 200 something for the 3am Verizon pre-order. I guess the site went live a bit early because he finished up his order around 2:50am.

Not really “fear mongering” I know someone that had there service canceled because of it, and like verizon is now saying they will be throttling users so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re looking out for “illegal” tethering

They were sold out by 3am or so.

So, I didn’t get the phones.

The HTC should be out before the trip, if it isn’t, hopefully they have some iPhones in stock.

If AT&T would release the Atrix, I’d go there.

14 days

" IMO I would NOT use a free app on a verizon iPhone to enable tethering. Verizon is smart and will watch your packets and if they notice that the packets contain a web browser that is not a mobile browser your service will be cancelled and you will be prompted to pay the ETF. Since the iPhone is going to be a data hog on verizons network they will be watching things pretty close. But thats just my opinion. "

No and No, if they ever ask you to cancel your service you will not be paying an ETF however you may be asked to turn in your equipment if it within the first six months.
If you need a mobile hotspot I can get you a free MIFI with 3gb of data for $35 a month with a dedicated connection so you don’t have to worry about calls,texts or emails kicking you off the web.
(mods sorry if that’s considered advertising, just relevant to the topic)

Palm Pixi=piece of shit but free wifi thats the only way to have a free hotspot without root access.

Iphone4=outdated in 6 months or less, great idea to buy a 3g device when 4g is here in a few cities and coming to most shortly after. Also how can you trust a phone with breakable glass if you are remotely tough on your phone. Apple even advises if you crack your screen to immediately stop using it as there is a chance it will cut you. The 5 should have the gorilla glass or similar from what they are saying. With all the mention of navigation, why not just DL google maps?

Thunderbolt=basically an EVO just slightly faster.

Bionic will put anything else spec wise apples to apples, best advice I can give you is to wait for it. Also if you can find a 3500 MAH battery for it(http://gorillagadgets.com/droid-x-extended-life-battery-3500-mah-with-back-plate.html?gclid=CLi96pW17aYCFchl7Aod5lkuBQ) $25 for an X this piece will never die I’ve gone over 2 whole days without a charge(I own part of a verizon retailer and Im on the phone/email or playing angry birds at all times)

Also like Jeff said return/cancel policy is 14 days, however any retailer that has customer service as their number one priority can technically do an exchange for 30 days sometime longer depending on time of purchase as our commission is held back a month behind and tech support still considers it our problem is the customer has an issue.

As I stated I was solely stating my opinion. Speaking from someones experience I know, sorry that it didnt really happen to them?

battery life on the 4 is fine, better than the 3gs. I would get annoyed as I often use data while using the phone (have to sit on hold for work with various companies often, data keeps me entertained and also use it to check info while on the phone). however it seems they will likely get that with the 5 in june or whenever. Shiet, I sold my 3gs for $275 almost a year after the iphone 4 came out. buy an iphone 4 now and sell it to fund a 5 when it comes out.

another great point is that everyone has an ipod. I don’t think there has ever been a time when I needed an iphone charger and wherever I was didn’t have one readily available.
I was at a Cog magazine party in Richmond VA and my friend took a pic of me leaning against a wall with my phone in my pocket, connected to a charger that was chilling in the wall

as for durability, my old 3gs hit the ground hard and screen cracked. i kept using it for months with no problem, and bought a screen kit for $13 on ebay and fixed it myself. iphone 4 seems to be more durable, and since the shape is more streamlined a case is significantly less obtrusive. my iphone 4 with a case feels smaller and more ergonomic than the 3gs without one

The good news is that you can tell by everyone’s loyalty to their own device that both droids and iphones are really awesome devices so you can’t go wrong no matter what you pick. :tup: It’s a good time to be a techie.

So only use https and they won’t see the user-agent string from the browser?

So https is going to change the header information within the packet? never knew that

umm

Header information in the packet?

TCP packets carry the http request which is encrypted via SSL not the packets themselves

SSL happens higher up in the OSI model and has nothing to do with packets

so youre telling me the packets will carry no information regarding the systems browser. I have a hard time believing that.

Fry, I can’t find z4root… help

Looks like it’s not on the market anymore. Oh well no worries.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Shoot me your email address if you don’t want to bother making an account.

I have one… will it wipe my phone clean?