Talk me out of 2 iPhone4s today...

then go take intro to networking.

TCP doesn’t care what data it carries, it only cares about it’s destination, and the status of the connection (it’s more complex than that, but that’s the dumb version). Destination = IP and port.

All z4root does is give you permission to do stuff that requires root access, like install Wireless Tether from the app store, or do the stuff necessary to install a custom ROM.

I can has tether again. Thanks fry :slight_smile:

I love wireless tether, but I hate using it in airports and stuff, and all sorts of random devices start auto-connecting to it. Thankfully it’s got a security mode to disallow them.

I tether my iP4 with MyWi. Works great. Can do USB or turn it into a hotspot.

For a reason why not to get the VZW iPhone is that Apple is doing a refresh as usual in June for the iPhone 5. Some people are speculating that it will be just for the ATT iPhones and some are thinking that they are doing it for all them including the Verizon ones. Would be interesting to see if they are gonna dick over the people who are buying phones now and refresh them 6 months later of if they are going to do a new iPhone release twice a year with the newest models in the summer and then the CDMA version in Winter.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

I think you are kind of mistaken. The actual TCP protocol doesn’t contain the application level information since it establishes this session for transmission however the packet does contain this info since its wraps the application layer in its transmission which would have this included in the HTTP request as its encapsulated in the packet and frame

Wikipedia the OSI model.

I know how it works…I am just really bad at explaining it (bad teacher I guess).

No worries. I used to have to TA this crap to grad level students…

Lol you guys

The http request isn’t in plain text so therefore it’s not readable in a packet

huh?

I was trying to explain the difference between what IS visibile on the packet vs. what isn’t

The whole point was looking at a user agent in a http request

If you use ssl which works on the session layer the data is encrypted which includes the http header info

Ah gotcha. Ya useragent is sent in the HTTP session. I fake my browser on my iPhone all the time so websites think I am running Firefox and not MobileSafari so I don’t get shitty mobile versions of sites. I push 10GB a month and no problems so doubt Verzion will be watching your packets. If I am downloading something I just connect to my VPN so its encrypted through ATTs network when I am doing something like downloading torrents.

If you were really worries use a VPN all phones support it

Yo I just saw that Nokia and Microsoft are announcing some kind of partnership next week. You should definitely wait a year in case you can get an N8 running WP7.

What’s nerdier than a smartphone thread? A smartphone thread that devolves to a discussion on HTTP encryption.

jesus my brain hurts from trying to decipher all of that nerd talk.

The WP7 interface is great…it just doesn’t impress me. The market blows on the windows phones. And Nokia has nothing in the states, so I’m not sure what kinda plan this is.

Yeah it’ll probably be some goofy service sharing thing or something. Bing on Meego or some silly shit like that.

I wish I could get an E72 with BB OS6. I’d be a happy camper.

One day I pray that they release 0875D with the TT38e device… life would be so much better.

Can you imagine that monopolization?

lol I think you just asked for a calculator with a blender.