Talk me out of 2 iPhone4s today...

based on that, I would love to see a comparison of iphones on vzw vs att running youtube.

You guys are really worried about the video quality on a 2" x 4" screen? Time to splash some cold water on your faces…

exactly

The 3g version of youtube is compresses to shit. Even on 2x4 screen it looks horrible.

does it really matter though? lol It’s pretty watchable on my Droid from what I’ve used. Every now and then I bust out something hilarious and we can always see/hear it.

So then get a droid that doesn’t do that.

:io:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/header.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/end.png

Il’l be sitting in a car with 5 in-law family members for 30 hours… I want the youtube quality to be stellar.

Look, if you guys don’t use the app or care how good the video is, that is fine. But to someone who plans on using it a lot… why wouldn’t I get one with better quality than the next? That is the reason I started this discussion.

The phone will be plugged in for the entire trip, and all night when I’m in the hotel. Not worried about battery life for the 7 days I’ll be crushing it.

Fly.

ATT has shit 3G coverage when you’re on highways at 70MPH. I was in the passenger seat on the way to NC a year or two ago, and my iPhone 3G was mostly on edge… Only on 3G when we stopped in a populated area. Just cruising in the middle of nowhere was EDGE. Although there was some form of data essentially everywhere, and I don’t think I ever lost voice service.

You’re not smoothly streaming high quality YouTube on EDGE… And data speeds for any device generally decrease when you’re traveling in a car, especially at high speeds.
What I would do is get a iPhone 4 on ATT if you can get unlimited for sure, if not go VZW. Don’t get a Android device, end of story.

I can’t even begin to think what I’d watch on youtube for 30 hours. Go buy a portable dvd player and burn some movies.

Lol exactly. I hate being in a car more than 6 hours.

I stream music and web video pretty solid going down the thruway with not many issues. The cell tower handoff is a lot better than it was when they first came out with the iPhone.

I stream pandora flawlessly along the thruway to Syracuse then 81 north to Watertown. Past Watertown though when you hit that big expanse of nothing until 1000 Islands I’ll get some drops. Past 1000 Islands heading up 12 and 37 toward Massena I usually switch back to the locally stored music because it starts hopping between US and Canadian towers and I have data roam set to no.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Very unscientific test of speed. A coworker with his shiny new Verizon iPhone just stopped by to let me check it out. First thing I did was go to toast.net, select the F16 picture, and hit test. It was going really slow, so I grabbed my AT&T iPhone 4, typed in the address, selected the same image from the same host, and hit download. Mine finished while his was still downloading. I only got 800 Kb but his was still loading when he walked away. :lol:. I told him to go install the speedtest.net app so we could do some better tests later.

Part of his problems may be the “new iphone load” that happens when ever a new one gets released and lots of new users are just playing on them. I know AT&T’s network goes to shit for a week or two around every new iphone launch then levels out.

the iphone for verizon is out, but not that many people have received them. Only some of the people who pre-ordered have gotten shipments. When it’s available in-store is when the real flood will come.

The AT&T 3G network is just flat-out faster. Not that it really matters at this point though, 4G phones will be rolling in shortly. At that point, we won’t be sitting here arguing who’s network is faster so that stupid youtube will look better.

My friend in Cali has his today. He jumped from ATT and got one on Verizon. The first thing he sent me today was that he didn’t realize how much he used data while on the phone until today. :rofl:

Pandora streaming across towers isnt impressive at all. Id assume EDGE wouldn’t have much of a issue with that, its fairly low bandwidth content. If you were using the standard 3G quality youtube, its probably OK for streaming over EDGE as well. But simply by looking at the ATT 3G coverage map, you don’t have it most of the time driving on the highway. That said, some EDGE is acceptable, sometimes its horribly useless…

A friend got a Verizon iPhone 4 on Monday, and he says its noticeably slower than his ATT 3G iPad… Speed tests at my house were better than the average, he was getting about .8mbit down, and .4-.6 mbit up. I was doing about 3 down, 1.2 up on ATT. The latency tests aren’t generally very accurate, but the VZW phone did have a slight latency edge on average.

Got 2 today. Speed he’s been good but not AT&T good. So glad I went with the iPhone. Amazing how much better it is. The way a smartphone should respond. Doing a speed test right after I post this.

K. 1.82. Down .83 up 300 ms response time. 4 bars.
Would have been at least 3 down with att

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

How did u capture those anyway?

Maybe the new iPhone will have flash support…

Screenshots with the iPhone can be captured by pressing the home button and sleep/wake button at the same time. The screen ‘flashes’ and a pic shows up in the camera roll.

Although native Apple flash support would be amazing, since it would work perfectly, I doubt it will ever happen. You can always use Frash, its a android port so it kinda works.

I got mine on Monday at 11am. I have absolutely no regrets at all…although I’ve never used a droid device so I don’t really have any comparison.