Test Drove a Mazdaspeed 3

i love my 07 si. i didnt get navi and i paid 20.5k for it a year ago. best all around car ive owned.

[quote=“newman,post:20,topic:37608"”]

you’re very adamant on defending this vehicle.

saying he will be disappointed by anything else is a joke. he was already disappointed by it. so it’s not that great.

[/quote]

im just trying to help him make the best decision if hes looking for the best all around car in hte sub$30K class.

i drove everything in class several times and im only stating my opinion. i was in his shoes 8 months ago and thought i would let him know with what real experience i have with the vehicle how i feel about it.

everything he was disappointed about is EASILY remedied(so that should not turn him off on the vehicle or make him dissatisfied with it)

and im not trying to make a joke when i tell him he will be disappointed. if he wants the best/most fun/practical car, then EVERYTHING ELSE IS A JOKE.

ALSO in knowing that he has had at least 1 fast turbo honda, im trying to let him know the turbo side of this class.

the VW is cool and is always comfy but is slow and wont handle/hold up as well as the speed. the honda is GREAT, everything about it rocks, except the lack of turbo-ocity(TQ). the turbo mini is cool/fun as all hell(probably moreso than the speed in that it feels like a go-kart) but in all reality does not perform as well as the speed and is useless if u want to take a trip anywhere. the subaru=overpriced for what you get(unless you want AWD)
the new evoX should be a great car, just havent had the chance to see/operate 1 yet

to finalize the defense of a vehicle which i am very adamant about owning/praising i will say this. IF YOU WANT THE BEST CAR FOR THE MONEY YOU CANT BEAT IT. that is all

and newman i love my car, though i know there are some areas which make it not so spectacular, but for what my payments are/ what i have gotten out of the car and what i want to get out of it, there was no better choice.

so consider me annoying or ignorant or whatever, i dont give a shit good for you, but dont hate on 1 car when you dont own it and you own 3 other vehicles instead.

some of us dont have that luxury

we get it. you like the car

please stop spamming this thread

haha, its true, and you want the best bang for buck sub $30k, Evo 9 or sti, a fwd hatch will never be a best buy.

and have you driven a mini, they have more room in there than you would think.

[quote=“66impalass,post:25,topic:37608"”]

haha, its true, and you want the best bang for buck sub $30k, Evo 9 or sti, a fwd hatch will never be a best buy.

[/quote]

Yeah, I was even more disappointed with the mini.
I felt like I was in a fucking cartoon with that interior.

[quote=“Slopoke,post:18,topic:37608"”]

Why didnt you come to me at Towne then could have really have fun with it? The Speed3 is fun, but its a little noisy on the interior, motor mounts are terrible, and the powerband cuts its throat at 5k. but for $20k its a nice car, what about a used srt-4? Also drive an Avenger R/T their alot of fun, AWD, crazy options and 6spd tranny, and im sure we have some rebates on them! I could also get you in our last 2007 Tiburon SE, 6cyl 6spd, red leather, 10yr/100,000 warranty with rebates! Pm me!

[/quote]

Didn’t know you worked there.
I got a good drive out of it because I was out solo.
I would consider an srt4 for the right price + warranty.

But for the 22+ I would spend on the mazdaspeed3 is just doesnt do it that well for me.

I have heard alot of good things about the si but last time I went to a dealership the guy was a complete dick to me.
Pretty much explained to me he did not want to turn the keys over to a “kid” who was looking for something to beat on.
and mentioned how the car would be more powerful than anything I have driven, and suggested taking out a base model civic instead…So I never got to test drive the si :confused:

[quote=“Minglor,post:26,topic:37608"”]

I felt like I was in a fucking cartoon with that interior.

[/quote]

Yeah, but they really do drive really well. Id even wager better than the speed3

Being a big dude (you seem to know all about that), I was shocked at how big the mini is, but thats not really an issue for you. I enjoyed the mini S, other than the fact its in no way masculine…

I would also bet that the resale value on the speed3 will be shit…

[quote=“vq30de,post:27,topic:37608"”]

Yeah, but they really do drive really well. Id even wager better than the speed3

Being a big dude (you seem to know all about that), I was shocked at how big the mini is, but thats not really an issue for you. I enjoyed the mini S, other than the fact its in no way masculine…

I would also bet that the resale value on the speed3 will be shit…

[/quote]

True.
The mini is an outstanding drive and hold resale well.
I actually preferred the feel of the supercharged S over the new one.
But I dont think I can deal with that giant center mounted speedo.
I feel as if the interior was designed in a more refined manner I would enjoy the car more.

my fucking god that speedo is fucking annoying…

[quote=“66impalass,post:25,topic:37608"”]

[/quote]

considering new you cant/couldn’t get either 1 <30k i would make that argument.

Minglor, just buy an M3. You know you want to.

[quote=“SoloIIscoob,post:30,topic:37608"”]

considering new you cant/couldn’t get either 1 <30k i would make that argument.

[/quote]

ya you can, 06 Evo’s or going for $28 new at dealerships

04+ V8 audi S4? mid 20K sedan mid-high avant. its not small and sporty though.

have you looked into the GTI?

[quote=“somedude,post:33,topic:37608"”]

04+ V8 audi S4? mid 20K sedan mid-high avant. its not small and sporty though.

have you looked into the GTI?

[/quote]

I test drove the GTi and it was a large disappointment.
Fit and finish of the car was decent. But everything else meh.
I wasn’t happy with the way the suspension felt, powertrain was craptastic.
I would take the mazdaspeed over the gti.

Newer s4 is a good option but gas mileage would be the suck.
I would like to drive a mazdaspeed3 with the powertrain upgrades solo mentioned. Might help the major issues I have with the car. I would be more interested in one used to get rid of some of that initial depreciation.

project Miata Thunder is all you need

no intrest in the tiburon SE 6spd/6yl 10yr/100k warranty?

minglor i know you’re not going to buy my si but you can take it for a spin if you want…

[quote=“RobtC,post:37,topic:37608"”]

minglor i know you’re not going to buy my si but you can take it for a spin if you want…

[/quote]

Thanks but I am going to take one out for some driving monday.

And as far as a Tib goes, I just can’t see me driving a hyundai

[quote=“Minglor,post:38,topic:37608"”]

Thanks but I am going to take one out for some driving monday.

And as far as a Tib goes, I just can’t see me driving a hyundai

[/quote]

before you discredit them they are pretty quick and really cheap.

you seem to be super picky about what car you want (which is good) so here is your car you just need to find one used to get it in the low 20K’s

Audi S3 V6 quatro. this is audi’s version of the GTI but the S line. Better suspention and more power, everything you didn’t like about the GTI is fixed in this car.

Displacement3.2 L
Max. Output250 hp @ 6,300 rpm
Max. Torque236 lb-ft @ 2,500-3,000 rpm
Top SpeedElectronically limited to 130

[quote=“Minglor,post:34,topic:37608"”]

I test drove the GTi and it was a large disappointment.
Fit and finish of the car was decent. But everything else meh.
I wasn’t happy with the way the suspension felt, powertrain was craptastic.
I would take the mazdaspeed over the gti.

Newer s4 is a good option but gas mileage would be the suck.
I would like to drive a mazdaspeed3 with the powertrain upgrades solo mentioned. Might help the major issues I have with the car. I would be more interested in one used to get rid of some of that initial depreciation.

[/quote]

i was going to suggest that. pick one up with 10-15Kmiles for 18 or less i bet.

and you would love it. just raced an 01 m5(3nd gear 30mph) and i pulled 2 cars on him till 5th(110) at which point he caught up/passed and began to walk away. we did this 3 times with THE SAME result each time(need tune/downpipe and i would have held him off