Textile Gear

What is anyone’s opinion on this? I know its not leather but if you are a street rider and looking for a little added protection than jeans, how do the pants and jacket hold up in a crash? I figure anything is better than nothing but is it worth it on the textile riding pants or should I look at the denim pants?

I was a bit of a squid this summer since I have a heavier jacket but for the south towns rides and being out and about, I was thinking about picking up a pair of the ICON textile pants and a textile jacket.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2525

ANYTHING is better than riding in regular jeans or shorts. Textile won’t hold up nearly as well in a high speed crash, but you’ll still be protected. Not sure how much you’ll like the heat in those things, though.

They hotter than jeans or leathers?

I dragged knee in a textile suit, and missed the pucks… it wore through rather quickly, luckily they armored part held up well (impact points)

Id rather have leathers to protect my body, but on a 90 degree day or a brisk night of cruising (not spirited riding) I’d often wear textile.

Id rather shower and rinse of sweat than brush stones out of my wounds.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

A good textile will be cooler than the best leathers, butttttt the average textile vs a nice perforated leather jacket (with a liner removed will be bearable on a warmer than avg day)

I have a perforated leather alpinestars jacket and it’s not unbearable.

Wait, you have a jacket?!

Lol.

Get a perforated leather, you’ll thank me.

Textile is one time use, I know from experience.

When I totaled the SV, my leather kinda scuffed, but it definitely useable.

Haha I have a heavier one and out grew my textile one from my old bike. I will look into the perforated leather ones too.

Never have worn textile. I always wore a leather jacket with a removable liner. Bottom line, if it’s really hot out you’re gonna sweat no matter what. Might as well sweat with greater protection than not. I can’t speak for pants since I always wore jeans, but I’m definitely gonna rethink that idea for the next bike I get.

I used this jacket http://www.amazon.com/ALPINESTARS-T-STUNT-FLOW-JACKET-LARGE/dp/B002FDKJFG most of the season. The inserts make it safe and bearable while being heavily armored at the impact points (see alpinestars bio armor). Having gear be reusable after a fall is the least of my concerns.

Lol. Exactly. If I go down and my biggest issue is needing to buy more gear because its damaged, I consider that a success.

Idk, I consider gear just as much as an investment as the bike itself. I would hate to have to get a bike fixed/buy a new one PLUS buy all new gear.

Most gear should be viewed as one time use… jackets and everything included. Do they fair better in crashes sure, but insurance is there to replace them :slight_smile:

If I knew I was crashing tomorrow I’d rather have my leathers on than any textile suit on the market. (jacket/suit same dif.)

I have Shift jeans(or maybe icon) that i wore most of summer, i dont think i ever wore regular jeans. i only have a textile jacket, maybe ill get a leather one. idk… my textile one wasnt that warm though even with a liner. in. i wore it a few times when it was like 87* out, i only sweated when i was at a stop. any other time it is comfortable, and a lot safer than nothing.

they also make khaki pants that are reinforced kevlar or w/e that zip off into shorts so that if you stop riding for a period of time you don’t sweat your balls off.