The Android Thread

I’m going to be joining Android crew this week and leaving the dark Apple side with a jump to Galaxy S4.

Looking for tips and tricks, apps and might as well have a dedicated thread for Android talk.

AT&T just got the only contract to sell the S4 Active too, but I’m sure it will move to other carriers soon.

Not worth it for me as camera is very important and Active has a dated camera.

Was a very hard decision to chose S4 over HTC one but removable battery won major points for S4

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/06/25/1372201285000-Galaxy-S4-Active001-1306251905_4_3_rx404_c534x401.jpg?87cc7ae5b5e3d133be9f113f907a13faa9f8741e

I’m looking into that phone as well

Biggest tips I can give

1. Don’t put any sort of task manager on the phone
    -Task managers at one time were great to free up ram/cpu usage of crappy idle apps, however they actually bugger things up more because android automatically suspened/kills apps as needed, they re-worked this completely in ICS and it works great. While a task manager might give you the instant satisfaction of everything being clean, it will begin to degrade performance. Since ICS android has been great.

2. Put a stock rom on the phone. The GUI overlays such as HTC Sense, Motorolas Motoblur and samsungs touchwiz not to mention your carriers bloatware are pieces of shit
    -At first these seem great, they look nice, provide a lot of functionality however they are bloated. They take up a good chunk of internal phone storage, they are slow and get clunky over time… Most of the functionality they used to offer soley is now a part of android. Most loved the big clock widget they all offered which you can jsut get from something like beautiful widgets.

Putting a stock versions of android 4.2/or Cyanogen mod is one of the best things you can do for an android phone. Not only for perofrmance but battery life will be much better

1. have an open mind, android is hardly the hand holding experiance that apple is. While its come leaps and bounds over its incepetion it still has its moments where you wonder “Why the fuck did they not just do this in the first place?”

Androids a great platform, I prefer the feel of android over iOS. However its simply personal preference at this point. One can make many arguments as to why one is better than the other but at the end of the day it comes to preference. Comming from the apple world to the Android world is a bit of a kick in the nuts at first… but just go with it.

http://i.imgur.com/NuCTyYg.jpg

Welcome to the dark side. Add me for Real Racing 3. :rofl

Have one of these already i think…

So wait is there a picture of it in a glass of water because its waterproof? If so that’s pretty sweet. :skid

Upto 3 feet for 30 mins I think. Hardly “water proof” if you drop it in the ocean but will take care of any toilet drop, spilling things on it, getting caught in the rain and other average water events.

AT&T has a $200 deductible on the phones ontop of the $7 a month warranty when you for a replacement. Seeing as I was able of taking care of my iPhone for 4 years without anything other than an occasional drop and aftermarket fixes for phones etc arent that expensive this seems hardly worth it. Within a year second hand Galaxys S3’s will likely be in the $150-$200 range if worst happens to the new phone.

I’m about to get out of Sprint and go to AT&T myself. But I’m going to get an HTC One…and then immediately root it and put the Google Play Edition ROM on it (almost stock ROM).

Welcome to Android, I think once you get a hang of it you’ll love it.

Ok that’s pretty cool. My 4s is up for renewal in a couple months. For what I use a phone for I think I’ll keep it since its still working as smooth as the day I bought it.

ATM no phone is good enough for me to gave up my OG unlimited data plan.

Verizon I take it?

I’m almost debating on losing unlimited data through AT&T.

On 3G iPhone I never used all that much. However im sure ill use more on 4g droid. I’ve heard of people downloading torrents on their phones. :wow

If I don’t hit data caps might as well enjoy it being cheaper.

5.2MBPS with 4G on my Nexus w/verizon :rofl Every now and then if im out and about ill use it to download something…

I think 2 months ago I used like 40 something gigs… amazing verizon diden’t say anything to me (I don’t pay the 20 a month to tether… I do it being rooted)

I didn’t even root mine, I just foxfi it to my android tablet and it is impossible to tell by VZW since they essentially is using the same Andriod OS.

Just switched to AT&T and the HTC One. Loaded it with the Google Play Edition ROM and so far so good. Got 5GB down/1 GB up on AT&T’s network. I have NEVER EVER seen those speeds in ANY part of the world on Sprints network. F Sprint.

Thats a shame to hear, I was hopign to move to sprint. At this point the only way I’m going to be able to keep my unlimited data with verizon is to pay outright for a phone.

At this point with VZW the only way to stay grandfathered in to unlimited data is if you do not sign a new contract/subsidize your phone.

I could use another line on my account however other people need upgrades :rofl

Regardless I’m really struggling between the HTC one and the S4…

I love the HTC one, it feels and look amazing… on that alone i want it however im kinda rough with my phones. Always in my pocket, throw down on tables… used as a flashlight quite frequently and dropped :lol

The One is not the kind of phone you put in a case, at that point from an astehtic standpoint its just not worth it… The S4 overall is a better phone it seems just not as pleasing to look at…

I’ll probably get the S4 thinking hard about it now,

Im still paranoid about phones without easily removable batteries, hence why I switched a while back to the S3 from a HTC fanboy. Honestly the Samsung phones are legit, Shady, consider a note 3 as well. My fiancee is getting one when they come out.

I’ve owned all the major phone brands at one point or another. The whole removable battery thing doesn’t bother me.

My phone right now is a Samsung Nexus (The google phone of yesteryear) its a great phone… Feels a bit cheap but its solid.

I do somewhat miss the “luxury” feel of an iphone so to speak which is why the HTC really appealed to me. However really thinking about it I know that phone will get destroyed. The droid phones I had with aluminum frames looked like shit when i was done with them.

The notes are too big. I know a few people with them who said after some time it feels normal, but I just don’t want a phone that big.

That aluminum case is nice until you owned it for 2 years and ding it. There is no fixing it. I also read that the phone is extremely hard to repair/replace screens unlike Galaxy. If you really care for an aluminum case, get one for the Galaxy, another point of replaceable cases.

My ONLY reasons for considering HTC One : by far better night photo ability due to bigger sensor, speakers on the front and a more “mature feel”.

Yeah man, I used to love Sprint. Best bang for the buck, data speeds were decent (back when everyone was on 3G) and always had service (and if I didn’t, it roamed on presumably Verizon’s network so I never dropped calls). Now? They are stuck on 3G up here while everyone is zooming by.

I don’t use much data as I’m usually on WiFi (less than 2GB a month), so I got 3GB from AT&T and called it a day. I don’t need unlimited data.

As for the phones…S4 vs One…I went with HTC because my last 3 phones have been HTC (I like their hardware - EVO 4G, EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE and now the One).

I dunno…my last two HTC’s have had no removable battery (EVO 4G LTE and now the One) and I don’t have a problem with it. If you really need to reboot it or something goes haywire…you just VOL DOWN + POWER it to go into the BOOTLOADER and from there you can fix whatever is ailing you (for example - I had to restore a backup). The only thing I don’t really enjoy about HTC anymore is Sense. It’s got a couple of cool things, but otherwise I’m done with it. Hence why I put the Google Play Edition ROM on my phone. However, now I’m battling different problems (this is pretty much stock 4.2.2 mind you):

1. I can’t add more than 5 home screens? I know on CyanogenMod 10.1 I could have up to 7, and that was built on stock Android. Either I’m just blind, or really stupid.
  2. Also, unlike CM10.1, I can’t figure out how to edit the lock screen shortcuts. All of mine are to unlock. I might end up ditching the GPE ROM and going with CM10.1 for this device…even though I had a HUGE issue with it on my 4G LTE (alarm wouldn’t work after a reboot until you cleared the cache of the clock apps - which was an annoying PTA as it took like 15 clicks to get the pattern down).

I love AT&T. I used to get less than 1MB down/up on Sprint. Now? 4G EVERYWHERE and look at this:

http://distilleryimage4.ak.instagram.com/2853667eeafd11e2baba22000ae90d6f_7.jpg

hums the McDonalds theme

I’m freakin lovin it.