The BMX thread.

haha. He was always a nut. :doh:

I used to ride. Spent a lot of time at South Park but never raced. I had a POS Mongoose a long time ago, then bought a GT, then my parents got me a KX125 for my 16th birthday and I pretty much completely stopped riding BMX and raced moto-x for a few years.

Old pic of the GT.
http://is.rely.net/1-1003-34275-l-etbrof8EBNorW9m1ZyRg.jpg

i remeber when those just came out. they were badass

Nope,we had a stake bed truck!!:steelers:

dude, GTs suck:hsugh: (sarcasm)

anyways, i wanted a speed series but i was afraid to go with another alum frame since it has to serve double-duty as a track/trails bike. i know im not gonna be nowhere near as smooth as i was, so i opted chromo…lol. if u ever decide to sell that, let me know thats a sick bike.

WingDing from Push had the dark blue suburban, back when Artie Craig was still riding. Atrie was good as hell too, then just quit.

I remember the hype when GT brought out the speed series. All of the commercials and ads with Gary Ellis dropping a foot.

My only race frame was a Hyper aluminum that was lemon yellow. I got hooked up with it or else I would have never gotten a aluminum. I did put it through hell at the trails too, and it held up. Actually…it’s the only frame I have laying around that ISN’T cracked or bent.

haha, kinda ironic. my '96 Powerlite P61 went through hell. i trail rode it alot, track and even tried doin some of the concrete gaps my street ride friends did. it lasted about 2 years and then cracked on me on the 2nd straight at south park (on the 2nd double), of all places. i got a free '99 out of the deal, so i was ok with that. haha. thats sorta why i went with the Pro Series chromo cause i didnt want to deal wth snapping a Al frame, but i still want a speed series or Powerlite monocoque just to blast around on.:tounge:

I did blow the stem off of the steering tube of my Hyper at South Park going into the first turn. Someone tangled with me on the face and just killed momentum. Bailed and the front end speared the landing. Thought that was it, but that frame was a trooper for an AL.

Those 'lunamin frames give me the shakes. 4130 or go home I always say. I could easily ride one though…I’m only 160lbs, Lol. If weight is an issue, my current LAF is 21.7 lbs with two pegs. Shit is like a toy at the trails…gettin all whippy and whatnot.

my aluminum was an awesome race frame. Starts were crazy because there was no flex. Riding trails on it was amazing because it handled like a razor. Transfers were EASY. I just didn’t trust it enough to really ride it super hard. I only rode it in sections that I had dialed. Other than that it was the Holmes.

ya when i was ridin my Powerlite ALs, if I switched over to my brother’s Holmes it felt so heavy and clumsy compared to my bike. but then once i’d ride mine again, i’d be all squirreled out in the air on the powerlite cause its almost too light/responsive. plus, when you guys used to hit decent sized gaps at the trails on your AL bikes, did they make a wierd, high-pitched honing sound on the face? mine did, it was crazy.

The worst was the slight clip on top of the landing that you wouldn’t even notice on a chromo frame but pinged super loud on an AL. I tried to stay on both bikes the same amount just so I was used to both. Had them both set up the same. Pitchforks, slams, 180 profiles,etc.

ya, i know what you mean. on my GT i have no i have Alum YESS forks on it. i thought it would be cool to save some weight and with the newer, lower Profile (and shorter rear end) on this '99 Pro Series, i thought it was would insane how easy the front end would lift/respond. i was right, cause its just amazing but after showing it to a few of my buddys that ride trails/street, they said those forks wont last for shit off of any decent sized gap, so now i’m pissed. maybe swap on some chromo forks for trails or will it be fine aslong as im not hammerin it?

heres a pic that you can see the forks better
http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/2b_1.jpg

I’d run a set of chromo forks. At least like chromo race forks or something. At least for peace of mind.

Anyone else want to race old man expert class this year. Just PA series. That’s the races I miss the most. Race all day, ride the local trails after, then party and pretty much blow off the next day since the whole class is hungover.

used to ride street all the time, still regret selling my bike, but idk if my knees can handle it anymore…god do i miss it soo much

ya, for trails i could prob pick up the GT chromo forks on ebay real cheap. i used to have stuff like that layin around all over the place but i sold everything awhile back. but depending on how bad im gonna suck when i get back out to the track, id def like to do some old guy races. im sure ill suck but whatever.

I’m sure I’m not going to be anywhere near where I used to be either. hahaha. I’m sure I’ll just have a good first straight then I’ll be burnt. hahahaha.

There’s still some guys racing that were around when I quit racing. I was just on the nbl site. 25-29 expert isn’t a big class at all either.

I had a friend who bought a regular speed series about the same time I got mine and he used it mostly for dirt jumping, like an idiot. After maybe 3 weeks of hard impacts the steering tube snapped off as he landed and his face slammed into the part that was still connected to the handlebars and fork. It left him with a huge cut on his face.

GT ended up recalling all 1st year speed series frames shortly after, so I was given a new frame. My friend ended up with a pro series frame, spin wheels and a bunch of other trick parts, I guess as a settlement or something.

He was smart enough to get a chromally frame the second time around. The spin wheels were dope, I always wanted a set of those.

how’d the pro series frame work out for him? did he get the early, mid 90s style one or the newer, more low-profile one like mine ('99)? i think it should be a pretty versitile bike for mostly track use but the occasional trails session.