The idea behind tuning

So what happened G ?

You jumped ship on the Biki pretty quick for a PowerFC ?

yup yup

I found Sasha’s article to be very thorough and informative. Nicely done.

It should also be noted, however, that factories base OEM tuning on a collection of data medians. That is to say, they’ll test 10 cars in and outside of all the predicted operating conditions, take the average (or median) conditions recorded, and tune for that.

Now, EVERY car is different. There are so many variables that a manufacturer can’t allow for, so they tune what is safe for the average. This is why it’s actually possible to tune in a conservative manner, increasing both power and fuel economy and reliability with essentially zero negatives. Unfortunately one needs to invest in some data acquisition units and sensors first (Wideband O2, EGT, some control unit to do the actual tuning with), and this – as well as the tuning itself – costs money, and lots of it. So it’s usually more desirable to perform at least a few supporting modifications first, to get the most out of a tune.

tuning is way over my head, i have mad respect for sasha for that great display of knowledge!!

this is gonna be a stupid ? i know it!

if you put cold air, header and exhaust, should u get ur ecu tuned, or not worth it for such small mods. what mods require you to tune and what mods can u add and still run fine on a stock ecu? when you add a turbo you have to tune it right? u can’t just drop a turbo in and expect it to work, or can you?

yea i am a noob to tuning. i know how a turbo works and the basic functions, but as for installing and making work, phf. some day i would like to go sr or ka-t.

being my first 240, i’m still learning(mad thanks to anyone who’s helped me out), alot of u guys have gone through 2-3 of these cars already and know ur way around them. import tuning is a new thing to me, i love my 240, best car i’ve ever owned. i’d just like to know what i’m doing b4 i do it!!!

hahahhahahaha

Don’t fuck with Radek. His shit is toooight.

No shit though. From what I hear around the block, Radek is tune master.

Man… A while ago I figured you plug the car into a computer, and a Forza 2 type screen pops up and you just grab a controller and fuck with some gear ratios… lol

OLD, but exactly what I’m thinking… I’m trying to save up for a first car, hopefully a S13 Coupe and I think I have a pretty good knowledge of what does what and how (better this year cause Gr.11 auto class is more “in-depth” :)). Right now I’m removing a 3.3L engine from a crappy '92 Grand Am and then maybe overhauling it, so I’m sure I’m going to learn a lot more from that… After reading this thread though, I know I better buy some books and stuff cause I know nothing about EMS tuning and I better learn before I get into tuning anything :study:

I don’t think you fully understand who your talking to…

i dont think you guys fully understand the concept of time!

that shit was 4 years ago

LMAO Ivan shut the fuck up!!

sooo i dont meen to bump n old thred buttt who is tuning theses days ne wayss huh