The Metric System

Why don’t we use it?

We are one of three countries that don’t (the other two are third world and fairly illiterate).

Plus, we can hear the DSM kids talk about running HUNDREDS of kilopascals on a stock bottom end.

newton meters for torque :greddy2:

Because we got the bombs OK? Two words! Nuclear-fuckin-weapons-OK? Russia…China …Romania, they can have all the democracy they want…they can have a big democracy cake in the middle of Tianaman square and it won’t make a lick of difference becasue we got the bombs OK?
(with kudos to Denis Leary):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It is kind of ridiculous that we don’t. Didn’t it start out as a way to protest the British way of doing things? Since we are a superpower, I think we make our own rules to some degree.

I know the metric system well. :shaggy:<---- that’s how americans learn it :rofl:

xmuthafuckin2

Because we like the unit of slugs.

I like using metric because it’s easy, but I have no feel for it. I see a stress in kPa and I have no idea how close it is to breaking. I have to convert to psi. It also gets a little goofy when you try to mix Newtons and mm since they aren’t consistent unit, which seems to happen often. I had to explain my units to a metric-using customer once because they thought they were wrong.

mass that accelerates by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound-force (lbf) is exerted on it

Ok i’m lost, I’ll stick too grams and kilos and centimeters

:finger:

to hard to change over

i suggest we lock up the thread starter for being a communist.

being an engineer in school right now, if i sit down for an exam and see the problem is in non metric units, i instantly want to kill the teacher.

SI FTW. SAE FTL. /thread.

X2

Grow up, it is the way it is and is going to be this way a long time…

I bet you have a full set of standard and metric tools… :slight_smile:

I see a lot of companies that are working in metric though. With things becoming more international, it’s a good idea to be used to both systems, especially in engineering. Even if you’re dealing with an American company, they may source turbines, motors, couplings, or whatever from other companies, and you’ll be getting drawings in metric.

its no secret its gonna be that way for a long time, but im still aloud to hate me teacher

This is true. Jeff is right. To compound problems, you might have drawings in metric units to combiine with material and loading conditions in English units.

I spent a few months of my life dealing with unit system issues with material property definitions in Ansys/Workbench. We even swap the commas and periods for you if you are viewing the program in a European language.

that is great customer service.

only in America!

how would we drag race. 1/4 mile would not exist.

402 meters :kekegay: