The most STOLEN car!! REALLY.........

Most and least stolen cars
DriverSense.com - Stephanie Bonnoto

Want to know how likely your car is to be stolen over another? Those at the top of the list of thieves’ favourites may surprise you.

If you have ever been a victim of car theft you know that it is a frustrating, violating feeling and you are helpless to do anything about it, but did you know that the car you drive might leave you more vulnerable to thieves? If you are intrigued, read on to see if your car falls on the list of the most or least stolen cars in Canada and how it affects your insurance premiums, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada.

The Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles

The results, taken from the end of 2008 may surprise you, given that the vehicles range from luxury to average to ‘why would anyone want to steal that’.

1996 Dodge/Plymouth Neon 4-door
1996 Dodge/Plymouth Neon 2-door
1995 Acura Integra 2-door
2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster
2002 Acura RSX Type S 2-door
1995 Dodge/Plymouth Caravan/Voyager
1995 Dodge/Plymouth Grand Caravan/Voyager
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STi 4-door AWD
1999 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
2000 Honda Civic SiR 2-door

The Insurance Bureau of Canada claims that individuals steal less expensive cars because they are easier to steal and tend not to have alarm systems. They also say that organized crime groups tend to steal the more expensive cars to use them for parts or to ship them overseas to sell and make money that way.

The Top 10 Least Stolen Vehicles

(tie 4th) 2000 Ford/Mercury Taurus/Sable Wagon
(tie 4th) 2002 Toyota Highlander 4-door 2WD
(tie 4th) 2003 Buick Regal 4-door
(tie 4th) 2005 Buick Terraza EXT
(tie 3rd) 1999 Toyota Tacoma 2WD
(tie 3rd) 2001 Toyota Avalon 4-door
2007 Chevrolet Impala 4-door
(tie 1st) 2001 Lincoln Town Car 4-door
(tie 1st) 2002 Lincoln Continental 4-door
(tie 1st) 2003 Cadillac Deville 4-door

None of the aforementioned vehicles have any special quality. Perhaps this is why they are so low on thieves’ radar. It is also interesting to note how the vehicles all tie for certain spots on the list instead of fitting nicely in numeric sequence. All of this is pure speculation on my part, as I have no way of knowing how or why thieves choose certain vehicles to steal and prefer to leave others alone. The Insurance Bureau of Canada gives their reasons for the most stolen vehicles, but has no answers for why these vehicles are the least stolen in Canada.

What This Means For Your Insurance

The portion of your auto insurance that covers theft also covers fire and vandalism and is called the comprehensive premium. For the most stolen vehicle, the 2000 Honda Civic (in 2005 as well as 2008), an example of this premium is $141. Compare that to the least stolen vehicle, the Ford Taurus (in 2005) and the premium is just $36 (quotes are based on a 30-year-old male driver with a clean driving record in a 2005 study reported by the Insurance Bureau of Canada).

Does this mean that no one should be driving a Honda Civic and everyone should be driving a Ford Taurus? Absolutely not. All it means is that consumers should do their homework when shopping for car insurance so that they are not paying a fortune to drive the car they want. As with many other things, premiums can vary a great deal depending on the insurance company and it is best to check out as many different companies as possible to find the best rates. However, if it is car thieves that you are worried about, simple things such as installing a car alarm system or having a panic button on your key chain are good ideas that will help to keep both you and your car safe.

Be Aware

The Insurance Bureau of Canada publishes a new list of the top ten most and least stolen vehicles at the end of each year. If you are looking to buy a new vehicle and this list matters to you at all, visit their website annually for a current list. Or check to see if your vehicle has made the list. Take it for what it is, a cautionary sign that your vehicle is more attractive to thieves and a reason to be extra careful.??Photo:
Túrelio, Wikimedia Commons

Sources:
IBC.ca
Kanetix.ca

All the nice cars on there are stolen for obvious reasons, parting out the motor tranny etc.

I know those Chryslers had some problems with the ignition, I remember my dad had a 1995 Caravan and so did my mom, and you were able to start one van with the other vans keys. Maybe theives just know that they are super easy to steal and they could use their keys LOL.

AND my dads same van was stolen, since it was full of his tools and what not then found it in an alley with all the tools gone and the van in once piece, but the ignition was mangled.

I think the least stolen cars are the least stolen because there is no tuning market for them. I havent heard of anyone doing a engine swap in a 2003 Buick Regal.

^L67 swap bud. Those GM 3800`s are badass. My dad used to have a supercharged LSS. Other than that you make a good point.

My friend drove a windstar for 10 mins before realizing it wasn’t his LOL. Fail ignition keys.

^^^lol that would be awkward

some s13 keys can open and start other s13 cars, I do not know about s14’s.

Yeah, my key fit Kengis old car, he always used to start it with that

my 180 lol

my s13 key can open quite a few doors haha which helps cuz i found it out by helping people get their keys out when they lock their keys in -_- lols

My friend drove a windstar for 10 mins before realizing it wasn’t his LOL. Fail ignition keys.

thats so funny. i can just imagine. then u go back park it where it was and look for your van

^^^hahaha i would laugh my fucking ass off if i did that. i’d change something on the inside before i got out though…ie if they have shit hanging from the rear-view, hide it. or write “BOO!” on a piece of paper and tape it to the steering wheel or something. REALLY trip them out when they get back to their car hahaha!

FC keys do the same thing though. my original key ripped when i was trying to unlock the door one time, so i borrowed my buddy’s '89 GXL key (lucky he was there or i would have been fucked) and opened 'er up on the first try.

only worked in the door though. had to use vice grips and the business end of the broken key in the ignish lol.

i worked in an auto plant and was told that there were only 16 different keys for the car we were building. I dont know how much truth there was to that though.

auto jiggler keys make all cars easy targets… and the scary part is there only like $20 shipped for a full ring for all makes and models

heres a vid of a guy pickin a honda ingnition like candy, there lots of videos on youtube, newer cars are just as easy, even ones with lazer cut keys

yeah i used to be able to start my co-workers car with my s13 key, i found out when because i was replacing his engine mounts so when iw as going to pull in the car i tried my key and it worked.

yea old shaddup…

i blame colored people for this

Ouch… Someone is going to get flamed in,
2…
DUN DUN, DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN…

That was inappropriate man.
I’m yellow, that’s just cruel.
Anyways, wtf?! S13 keys can start other S13 cars?
Aren’t you guys on alert then?

oh… so i guess stealing cars for u guys is like playing a video game in widescreen huh?

this is old but the best, good one turboner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs
wish i had one. lol. i love how the monkey has his own siren going off in the trunk, like he cant hear the glass break

LOL

im glad u understood that