The New Buick GS

What do you Guys / Girls think about Buick trying to make a performance vehicle and trying to pickup were Pontiac left off .

270-hp 295 pound-feet of torque turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder
Front-wheel drive
GM’s HiPer Strut system
27 miles per gallon
optional 20-inch wheel package with 255/35-series Pirelli PZero summer tires
0-60 time of 6.7 seconds
Three suspension modes are available while driving – normal, Sport and GS
6 Speed manual transmission
four-piston Brembo calipers

$34,450

All above stats taken from:

GM hasn’t learned from the old Northstar Cadillac’s that high power FWD was a bad idea?
I think it could be competitive with the hyundai genesis as gm’s spin of the new tuner car had they been smart enough to make it rwd. Still a cool car, but I think its lost some potential customers being fwd.

^?

the cars held up fine, the northstars had their own problems when they werent maintained properly but thats about it

6.7 0-60 is really weak for something with 270hp/295tg

I was saying more for fwd traction issues. I love the Northstar v8’s, great motor and some of the cars they went in were boss (I wanted an El Dorado for a bit). But if they were trying to appeal to the younger tuner crowd, who I could have seen buying these, it would have done better as a rwd car.

It probably did more than chirp the tires off the line, and it weighs 3700lbs. GM boat ftl.

I’d say good for Buick. I always liked how buicks look.

you would.

:lol

i would drive one. i wonder how the deprecation will be on the 6 speed turbo…

it’s a GM. they’re cheap enough after 3 years that anyone with a bus-pass can pay cash for one. :rofl

this is the same drivetrain out of the cobalt ss turbo/solstice gxp/sky redline

gm tried to do a rwd turner car and no one really bought them. they were cool look and powerful, but the public said they weren’t interested

the car i’m sure drives fine, would be fun to drive if you wanted a short burst of excitement. this is not a performance car, it’s a baby “V” if anything

the cruze diesel in 2013 actually has a chance at me buying a chevy!!!

i have a feeling there diesel is going to be grossly under powered, and the motor itself will have a ton of issues.

i just don’t see chevy really nailing diesel tech like vw has

They should just chop a duramax in half and put that in a car

1. LOL @ VW nailing diesel tech. VWs are garbage dude.

2. Chevy has had diesel for years in europe which is where all this is coming from.

3. I need some keys programmed in my 02 Jetta… can you help me out??? pm me

YESSSSSSSSSSSS WOULD SMASH.

it needs more hp and awd like they wanted when they talked about the car first .

$34,450 is pricy for a FWD
To bad it is FWD

The styling isn’t bad. the vents under the headlamps are too large but not as hideous as the steering wheel. I dont think gm has ever made a nice looking interior. this one doesnt look soo cheap but the seats lack bolster. 2 suspension modes?

why does gm constantly try to appeal to all masses of buyers. If they ever made a purpose built car it would shock me. The corvette is soo easy to drive from all the drivers aids, a grandma with a limp left leg and bad hip could still shift thru the gears

This would be difficult cause I am asking for two opposite things from GM here… Ready?

Car needs to go on a diet and be AWD!

With that being said there is rumor of a Performance Package that will up the power to 300hp with a 6 speed manual or auto and AWD. Will it make it to production? Probably not. Hopefully if they make this performance option available to the public they can cut out unnecessary things like huge 20" wheels and run a more weight conservative 18" wheel and tire package with some nice rubber.
I know I will never buy one new but maybe I can talk my mom into one in a few years and buy it off her after that…

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2010/01/buick_regal_gs_show_car.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/05/regalgs---01-630.jpg

I have always been a closet Buick guy. BOP - Buick, Olds, Pontiac. Would be the correct term.

1)i meant nailing it as in the new clean diesel’s not the older ones.

2)so has VW, they make the most diesel engines in the world, that is quite a lot R&D

3)pm replied