the new car ['89 firebird formula]

Figured i would go from import to some American muscle.

So i picked this up:

nice! looks clean. whatcha gonna do to it?

Car is really clean. some minor little defects in the paint and some surface rust but nothing major.

Car has:
305 with 100k miles.
hypertech chip
and 3in cat back exhaust.

My plans for this winter are to get a good set of headers high flow cat. change the intake. new spoiler (the wrap around one on it is a wreck). then get some spots touched up with paint.

well to start the build write up.

I will be keeping the 305 with 100k and give it a little more kick. (Just to save up for the crate motor).

So now i have been going threw the car and replacing what is needed. Which i got lucky and wasnt much.

Right now i replaced rear sway bar endlinks that where broke, with some good energy suspension ones. And that was all that needed to be replaced suspension wise.

Now onto the motor:

Was checking it over before i started tearing it apart. looked like their was some seapage around the oil pan. So That was replaced with a new one piece. Rear main seal was not leaking. I was very suprised.

Also took intake off, lifters out and got the cam out. Have the the lt1 cam and lifters all cleaned and soaking in new oil until the new timing chain comes in, then can get it all put together.

As for my motor plans:
lt1 cam swap
new summit racing timing chain (done)
new chrome timing chain cover
new chrome valve covers
new comp cams 981-16 valve springs
cfm tech throttle body
cfm injector spacer
bigger injectors (done)
edelbrock torker 2 manifold (done)
edelbrock headers/exhaust
new msd tune up parts
new starter
new radiator. (done)

Rearend:
3.73 posi unit.

Tranny:
Torque Converter, b&m holeshot 2400stall
corvette servo.
b&m shift kit
tranny cooler

Body/interior:
Will be keeping these stock. only reason is i like to the stock look.

The start of the 305 getting its wake up call:

Ahh oil pan gasket done

Previous owner painted the good water pump orange. So i repainted it black… But i didnt get to prep it. my junior mechanic did it for me.

Besides some light tints the only ext mod that will be done to the car:

Rear window louver will be painted the same color as the car.

That louver looks Fuccilo huge.

nice. I had a 305 in my 85 elcamino. it was pretty nice for a measly 305. lol

305s run good on nitrous.

The 305 only needs to last a year or 2. But if it lasts longer the better crate motor i will get. lol.

The louvers are an inch higher right now. they are sitting on the wing. i have to trim it to fit.

Nice find.

Not to get too far ahead for you…

Out with the old dash…

And in with the new…

http://www.ms-fbodies.com/jade_ta.htm

Oh wow, does it come with a sleeveless winger shirt?

Also, those louvers look awful.

+1

Error 404: pics of sweet burnouts not found.

X…

Looks like a nice clean foundation. Do you have a close up pictures of the lifter valley? I didn’t think any of the 305 TBI engines were roller lifter ready

That dash is just to nice for me.

No but it came with a free mullet wig.

I know everyone thinks the louvers are horrible. but dont trust the neighbors and the less they see in the back window the better. And once they are painted the same color as the car they will most likely look better.

This was true for some of the truck 305 TBI motors. All the passenger car versions (b-body and F-body) were roller set-ups.

changing the oil pan with the motor in the car is a pita congrats to you as long it dosnt leak and the timing cover dont leak

With the new on peice gasket and the headache it better not. lol.

Looks pretty clean. Local pick up?

muscle not found. Torque arm suspension ftlllll.

This thing is in really nice shape for the year tho. I’ll be watching this build. I actually probabaly have some parts you’ll end up wanting too.

Dont stress the 305, you can easily have it trapping high 70’s NA with 3.73s for next to nothing.

Yeah from a guy in akron. It came with service records plus a 2 page list of things that have been done. Only seen 2 winters which all it did was sit outside and not driven, dont know for sure but thats what was told.

Whats wrong with torque arms?