The new fuel economy standards congress passed

You = Idiot

Sure global warming isn’t 100% proved, but how can you actually sit there and confidently say that what we are doing to the environment thru pollution is a good thing?

Ever seen the cute “little” smog cloud that hovers over large cities on warm days? I’m sure that is good, and healthy.

Even if “global warming” isn’t a major issue, why not do something to reduce the excessive pollution we create?

Yes, this is what I think. Also, I think we should have stuck with the horse and buggy.

I think it can be safely assumed that the new regs apply to new cars only?

Well luckily, most companies sell tons of the cheapo versions, and fewer of the hihg performance versions, as much as people here don’t seem to see that.

Side note…
If I remember correctly corn is about the worst for making fuel and sugar cane is the best sooooo now we will still be depending on foreign fuel, it will just be from different foreigners(Brazil).:gotme::biglaugh:

they will be a 3rd world super power because of it
lol

your post, along with most of your other babbling would make it seem like that is what is going through your head.

like it or not, that is your answer. oh, i forgot to mention getting it in pumps everywhere. so now you are raising the cost of production, and the cost of distribution. it would take a decade atleast to roll this all out, and then another for them to turn a profit. so your magic wand would give us 10-20 years of astronomical fuel, and anything transported on a truck prices.

you should stick to english

http://www.wben.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=08989

A better breakdown. The 36 billion ethanol part doesn’t worry me as much now that I see 21 billion of it MUST come from a non-corn source. So we’ve got until 2022 to figure out cellulose ethanol production. Sounds reasonable.

The energy efficiency stuff sounds great as well. A while back I posted that article about the “phantom drain”. AKA, the power all our appliances use when they’re not even on. I’m sure one of the big areas they came make gains for little money is tackling that problem. Lighting is another big one. Most of us are using the same bulb design our grandparents were using when they were our age. CFL’s and LED lighting will be making a huge push into mainstream.

Hopefully they also push a big CFL recycling initiative or the 2025 energy policy will probably have a ban on CFL’s because of all the mecury we release in the next 20 years throwing out billions of CFL lightbulbs.

The more I think about, 35mpg average doesn’t seem that difficult considering they have until 2020 to do it. Start pushing diesel in your SUV’s, maybe even diesel hybrids, get your small economy car fleet that you sell tons of up in the mid 40’s and you’re probably all set. At the rate technology is evolving there should be major advancement by 2020. I mean, how do you put a MPG rating on something like the Chevy Volt, that will run for 100’s of miles on just electric power? It has tiny gas engine to charge the battery if you go too long without plugging in, but then you’re talking about 100’s of miles to the gallon. A vehicle like that sure would help your CAFE average.

And I would love for this to be the end of people owning SUV’s and trucks that don’t need them, like my neighbor. No trailer to tow, never does any big home improvement projects himself, even had the repair place come pick up his snowblower because god forbid he load something dirty in his full size luxury SUV. People like that gave SUV’s a bad name so people like me, who have a trailer to tow all summer, get dirty looks all the time from the greenies.

You should stick to telepathy. You’re amazing.

I just purchased a device that monitors and records electric usage,
it should be pretty interesting. http://www.ccrane.com/science/instruments/kill-a-watt-ez.aspx
The main stream media is now talking about LED Christmas lights like they were just invented last week.
I already use LED lights in my house(not just Christmas lights) because they are waaaay better than CFL lights.
Some of the LED lights only use 1.4 watts!!!
The media keeps pushing these CFL lights as an enviornmental savior and they have ignored LED lights until the Christmas lights thing this year.
Home Depot and Lowes look at you funny when you ask if they sell any LED lights.
I have always said that CFL can’t be good because of the mercury in them.
I know Al Gore likes to tell us how to live our lives but what kind of lighting does he use?

He relies entirely on the glow of statisfaction he emits from winning the Nobel Prize.

On a serious note, how is the quality of light from your LED lights? CFL’s have made huge advances in reproducing that warm natural light that incandescents give off. Originally CFL’s only gave off that ugly fluorescent light like in office buildings and hospitals.

The first one on this page has a plastic cover that makes them more “yellow”
http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx
They definately are not like what people are used to but, I think they will improve and people will get used to a little change when they realize they are using much less energy.
The regular LED lights are like having HIDs in your house.:biglaugh:
They claim that LED lights are closer to sunlight though.
My wife doesn’t like them because they are not as bright as regular bulbs but I keep telling her that we could run 30 of these and use less energy than one regular bulb!
Sorry for going off topic.

thank you for bringing so much to this forum

what happened to you pouting and never coming back again?

What ever happened to capitalism, where the market was decided by supply and demand? If we wanted better gas mileage, we have the options to do so now. Political B.S.

The semester is over, I am working, and I find your arrogance amusing.

i find your lack of reason, rational thought, and business knowledge just as humorous.

i am glad we can both get paid to amuse each other.

meh, kinda flawed.

the choices are sort of there, but none of them make sense financially for most people… really, anyone.

mpg is a big thing with a lot of people. especially with the middle class spending itself into poverty. if the choice was car A at 50mpg or car B at 20mpg, both being the same in every aspect (except mpg), any rational person would choose A.

now this is NYSpeed where most of the community wants to mod a daily driver to the point where it is no longer street legal. most people do not think like this.

people need to look at cars for what they are. a means to get from one place to another. it is not an extension of your penis, it will not get you laid, and it will not make you cool. again this is demonstrated by a bunch of our users.

Funny how we’re all arguing about this legislation as if it actually had anything to do with energy, global warming, economics, etc.

Come on. They mandated something that might not even be technically possible. Doesn’t that, in plain daylight, show that this is purely a political game done under the guise of what we’re all arguing about?

I hate politics.

If it is not possible then we will all have to pay the gas guzzler tax on our new cars.
HAY WAIT A MINUTE…

Is there anywhere in western NY that offers ethanol at the pump yet? F legislation, I can tune my car to run on ethanol right now.

:lol:

Do you really think by 2020 they can’t get the average up to 35 mpg though? This is the push the auto makers need to get serious about fuel consumption.

Normally I’m all for letting capitalism regulate something like this, but the problem is @3.xx a gallon the current offerings for “fuel miser” vehicles aren’t worth the trade off. The capitalist plan would be to wait until gas hits $5+ a gallon, at which point many people would jump to more fuel efficient vehicles. This would drive the market to invest more in their design and development but at $5 a gallon I think our economy would collapse.

I really don’t give a damn about changing our per car CO2 output. Just last week we saw that the climate models the global warming people are using to predict the future can’t even predict the past. What I would like to see is our demand for oil go down so we could tell the Ahmadinejads and Chavezs of the world to go fuck themselves.