Thermostat

So, on Sunday I bought a P.O.S. beater truck. (1989 Mazda B2200). On Sunday everything was fine, so I paid and I drove it home. So today I go and get the insurance, the plates, and register it, and when I drive it from Downtown Edmonton to Sherwood Park, it overheats so much that the gauge is as high as it can go, and coolant gets shot out of the overflow. So my question is, what could be causing this? I figure (and a few other people I’ve talked too) that it’s the thermostat not working properly. I’ve checked the oil and it’s fairly clear, so there’s no coolant leaking into it. Any ideas? Please and thanks.

could be as simple as rad cap not holding any pressure. had this happen to me before.

go to crappy tire and get a new stat. Get lower temp if they have it like a 160deg. Might be factory 160 cuz its an import but ya never know. Also when you change it there is a lil copper dangly thing to clog a lil hole for not letteng coolent through under pressure. I just cut those off. Makes it easier and faster to fill the whole engine up with coolent.

Well thanks guys, but apparently my dad now wants to take the truck to a mechanic, so I guess it’s not a problem anymore.