Thieves may have the keys to you car.

someone try this and let us know if it works.

Not sure if it a repost and I dont care.

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/specialreport/story.aspx?content_id=e402f6a4-a416-4550-9ef3-8b8eaf3dbccd

My GM key has worked on another GM. Same year, same model, different color. Only opened the door.

a acura integra key will unlock a acura integra 94-98 … i have done it lots of times when i lock myself out i call someone that i know with one and done… it only gets the door i have yet to find one to start it

A friend of mine and I used to unlock each others integras. He also found a integra key and it worked on his car.

I’ve always thought that making shit like this public is a terrible idea.

Well I guess that explains why the Integra was the most stolen car for quite a few years.

When my brother was little he collected old keys. I had a Chevy truck console that I wanted to sell, w/o a key. Since it used a standard GM door key, I decided to try some of his GM keys, and surprise, the first one I tried worked perfectly! Now I keep them all on a ring in case I ever need them. Probably better than the old GM ignitions that would break and start w/o any key at all. My Pontiac did that for months, and then one day decided to fix itself, leaving me SOL because I stopped carrying keys with me:cry:

This isn’t new. GM even doubles the copies of ignition keys. They just ship the identical ignitions to opposite sides of the country. But once in a while those two cars and keys come together… and I’ve seen it happen maybe twice. The look on someone’s face when their key starts someone else’s car is priceless!

:lolsign:

Most police cars use the same key, GM and Ford only use maybe 15 different keys
I have a Caprice key that has worked on about 5 different cars (all out of service) from VA to NJ units

I havent had the balls to try my Vic key on some other Vics : P

Also its a single key system, one key works on the doors, the ignition and the trunk

You can buy sets from ebay or supply companies that will have a set for each make. For example a Gm set will have like 15 keys cut such so they are either an exact fit or close enough to work.

As mentioned there aren’t that many different keys. You figure something like a GM pickup that sells a half million a year, even if there were 100 keys you’d still have 5000 trucks for each key.

lol on my old chevy truck i used to be able to unlock the doors with a Popsicle stick haha

kinda neat thing with old cars, but id say MOST new cars have the transponder keys now that make this whole thing not work. maybe with the door keys but not with the ignition.

definitely not new. working as a lot kid for a few years awhile back i noticed several flaws in keys, locks, and iginitions. I agree that it shouldnt be flaunted as this was. yes some people know but y add to the list. Key fabs are way worse. there are only so many frequencies for the remote door locks. seems that one auto lock key fab would always open at least one other car within the range of it. seems stupid but it would be overlooked if newsreporting asshats didnt flaunt it. i dont even lock any of my cars and most times i leave my keys on the seat. if someone wants your car they will take it. at least my way it will most likely be returned to me in one piece.

this happened once where my friends 87 supra key worked in his fathers 98 chevy suburban. i dont think it works the opposite way around though

i know on newer gm vehicles only the first 5 or last notches unlock doors and glove box but ignition requires 10 tumblers i learned that while working at a dealership
the guy in parts department was so good he could look at a late model gm key at a quick glance and visully count the notch heights and go cut a key

whores use more than 2 keys… push button starts or the new nissan or honduh keyless start is the tits

:word: i love not having to pull out my keys everytime i want to get in my car and start the car

Yah all the key less stuff is way worse then keys. You can build a simple electronic device that will pick up the frequency code when it is used and stock it for re-use. I made one in high school out of scrap laying around that would pick up garage door openers, car door openers/alarms, and was even able to open the little electronically activated doors at school. I had fun with it until I broke it and just never threw one together again.

Yah … that might have worked 20 years ago … but never again … even new garage door openers are code hoping … something like 11 BILLION codes

I just put an ignition switch in my 03 saturn ion. The acdelco interchange shows about ten different model cars that have the same passlock ignition switch. Cobalts, HHR’s, and a few others.

The code on the ignition switches are different (i hope)

Old news, I have known about this for years, but I agree this should not have been made public.