Thoughts for chronic brake problems?

Wifey’s car. 2003 Protege. 4 wheel disks. Front brakes were seized and disks/pads chewed up after the first winter. Rear brakes same after second winter. Now the disks on all 4 corners are chewed up so I’m assuming the sliders are all stuck again. :tantrum:

I’m going to fix it tonight so I’m just assuming for now.

But I’m sick of this thing eating brakes every season. This winter I’ll wash it myself once a week to try and keep the salt out as best as I can. That alone will probably make all the difference since she NEVER washes her car. :ham:

I’m going to inspect the rubber boots over the sliders tonight to make sure they aren’t defective. Depending on how they look, I may chuck the pins up in a drill and wet sand them if there is any corrosion or any burrs.

I’m also thinking about cleaning them out real good and using marine grease. Thoughts?

Anything else I can do while I’m in there to help things?

I don’t think I’d switch to marine grease. Just make sure you’re lubing the slides real well with the proper caliper slide stuff, and make sure the boots are in real good condition.

Maybe pick up a rebuild kit and put in new slides and seals.

Brembo swap?

No, other then what you’ve listed, I can only add in: hi temp lithium grease worked for the wifes alero.

EDIT: Link removed because I suck at the interweb.

That’s what I always use, never had an issue.

the sliders on my f150 were the same way, no matter what I used they would get seized up, and drag the brakes.

So glad I got rid of that thing.

86-88 L/H REAR QUARTER PANEL MOLDING This aftermarket replacement molding fits between the door and the driver rear wheel. Does not include mounting hardware.

You suck at the internet. :walter:

lol, i returned a flywheel.

85-87 V6 BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL
This billet steel flywheel weighs 12.8lbs while the factory original weighs in at over 16lbs. With less rotating mass and inertia, you will notice improved throttle response and acceleration through the gears. Each Ram flywheel is CNC machined and balanced to perfection. This billet steel unit is excellent for those who need to replace their damaged factory original or require a lighter flywheel but not as light as the aluminum flywheel. We recommend changing your flywheel bolts whenever you install a new flywheel.

84-88 FUEL VAPOR CANISTER
New AC Delco fuel vapor canisters can help prevent engine fluctuation and poor performance. Fits all years and models.

86-88 ENGINE SPLASH SHIELD CLIPS
These clips attach the engine splash shields to the chassis. 5 pieces per kit.

Part # 88121 Price: $2.95

OK OK… I got pwned by a session variable!

I never even looked at the link I posted. Had I done that I would have known it wouldn’t work.

I love that it appears to select a product at random though. That’s some pretty sweet code.

Regardless, at least my fucking brakes work. :zong:

lol but it was fun trying to figure out how the fuck a fender liner helped your brakes. :biglol:

Make sure you use a silicone based lube(not petroleum) in the rubber boots. the petr stuff causes the boots to swell and stick

85-88 V6 STOCK CAM & LIFTER KIT
Sealed Power replacement cam & lifters are superior quality made to exact OEM specifications.

SUBWOOFER HOUSING KIT
Our housings will fit directly in place of your factory original without any modifications. For those with Fieros not equipped with a subwoofer, you can add this feature with this kit. All you need to add is wiring and an amplifier of your choice (you may also need to add a small “L” bracket to the side of your heater box). Factory subwoofers are located underneath the passenger side dash. Mounting bolts are not included but can be found at your local hardware store.
Part # 69865 Price: $61.95

I’m glad everyone is still having fun with this. :slight_smile:

84-88 UPPER CONTROL ARM BUSHING KIT
Upper control arm bushings are made of rubber and are encased in the metal sleeve. Old bushings must be pressed out and the new ones need to be pressed in. Sold as a pair.
Part # 57014 Price: $12.98 Qty:

Might be the calipers themselves. My Ranger has had caliper issues since I got it. I put a set of remans on and they would stick after a while. Then I bought brand new calipers and they were good longer but they are starting to set up now. No problems with slides, I lube the shit out of them, but the pistons stick. I am told that Ford uses a chrome plating inside the caliper bore that eventually flakes off and causes the piston to stick. Good possibility Mazda vehicles use the same.

Done. The sliders were beat. We’ll see how long it lasts…