Siezed Caliper

Ok, here is my predicament. I have a siezed left rear caliper and I have new brake parts ( Pads, rotors, calipers) coming in next week sometime so in the meantime I don’t want to blow any more money but I would like to get the car drivable without ripping up my rotor anymore. Is there a temp solution for this that would last me a week or two? Any way just to back off the caliper?

Thanks,

DJD

Take it off and twist in the piston clockwise with visegrips
and just don’t pull the ebrake untill you get a new caliper.

Not to be much of a troll, but are your sliders seized or caliper. the ususal problem is sliders… i’ve made this mistake once already.

Take your rear caliper off and use teh ebrake bracket to move the piston up and down, make sure you don’t pull the lever to far since you don’t want to pop the piston out. (just pull the lever and it should move the piston, after that when you release the piston will return to the prev position.)

If your piston moves then your good. Pull out your sliders, clean them up, I always brush them down with a wire wheel to give them a good polish and grease them. Now if your sliders are seized and you can’t wiggle them out with a vise grip, use a torch to heat up the bracket while pulling with the vise grips and then your good.

My rear sliders were seized ones.
My fix (after a lot of other tries, figured I’d go all or nothing).

1. Drove my parents minivan over the caliper.
  2. Attached a 7ft long pipe to the slider bolt.
  3. Started to crank on it until it broke free.
  4. Sanded everything down, cleaned up everything, applied new lube.

Been good ever since!

I agree with the gang on this one. I’ve owned 5 different Nissans going back to 1985 and EVERY one experienced this problem.

If drive an older/out of warranty Nissan you should do this maintenence yearly. That or upgrade to better after market brakes :wink:

I let one my pals drive the car around the parking lot with me (yes im an idiot) and they forgot to put the handbrake down, after got outta the car, one of the wheels was smoking and the other one just… nothing. I tested it by checking if it would leave marks on the pavement when i lock up my tires and my rear left doesnt, seems like its seizing, is it the PISTON or the SLIDERS that are seized, I serviced my whole brake assembly two months earlier, i lubbed the sliders and cleaned everything out, i put on new pads and my rotors use to be pefectly smooth, now theres grind marks on them yet i still have 90% of the pad thats good. How should i fix this caliper stuck problem, bash it good ? and will my rotor resurface itself on its own ?

The exact same thing happened to me :rl: I let my cousin drive my car for the very first time and he left the ebrake up. By the time i got out of the passenger side the rear right was smoking and the rotor was RED hot. Interestingly the rear left caliper was the one that siezed and the rear right slider had to be fixed. You will probably have to get a new caliper and rotor like i did.

yeah i got a new (remanfc) caliper, still with old rotors >=C