Dragging Brake Caliper

This may seem like an idiotic question to some, but I am not familiar with this.

The front passenger side brake hangs up from time to time and drags.

Do I need a new caliper or is it caliper bolt issue?

Could be one or the other…or both. Take it aprt and see what doesn’t move. Aslo see what is rusty, dirty, and lacking lube.
The piston could be sized…the slider bolts could be…or just your hardware is dirty/bent/corroded causing the pad to hang up.

either way it is not too hard to get in there and find the problem.

How can one tell if the piston is seized? Inability to back it out with a c-glamp or are there other signs?

pretty much. Other than that, looking at the piston…big no no’s are rust buildup on outside edge of the piston, ripped boot, or signs of fluid leak.

i try to clean/lube the slides 1-2 times a summer

Most likely bad slides.

I had that same problem and I just replaced the whole caliper/bracket assembly; wasn’t worth my time to dick around with the slides. Had the caliper & rotor replaced and bled in ~ 15 minutes.

To go along with what the above replies, just pretty much tear the assembly down, clean everything, inspect everything, lube all the contact points and reassemble. Also, some ways to be able to diagnose a caliper piston seizing is, the front and/or back of the rotor surface will be gouged with deep rings. If its a slider bolt or a sticking contack point, one or both of the pads will be un level. Just some things to look for.

Hope that helps.

I actually took it apart yesterday morning. The caliper was dragging heavily. The piston is good, and the caliper is good. The inside pad was VERY unevenly worn. The sliders were very dirty.

I’m going to replace the slides.

I had the same problem on my blazer come to find out it has the rubber line going to the caliper. i guess what happens is if the rubber line is bad it collapses.

then when you relive the pressure it is fine until it builds back up with pressure, then collapses again.

not saying its your problem just saying make sure there good. mine almost killed me and my daughter.

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:8,topic:39144"”]

I actually took it apart yesterday morning. The caliper was dragging heavily. The piston is good, and the caliper is good. The inside pad was VERY unevenly worn. The sliders were very dirty.

I’m going to replace the slides.

[/quote]

just clean them and lube them

no one seems to do this when they do brakes any more. it adds all of 5 min to the job, and saves headaches later.

[quote=“Zer0DazE,post:10,topic:39144"”]

just clean them and lube them

no one seems to do this when they do brakes any more. it adds all of 5 min to the job, and saves headaches later.

[/quote]

I dunno if you mean people don’t pay any attention to them in general or instead of buying new sliders/bolts. Either way, they sell replacements cheap at the parts stores. Sometimes its easier for people that have bad rust or whatever on them and dont have access to a wire wheel.

A FYI: Lube the shit out of the sliders, with brake component lube (whether it be the small packet at the parts store counter or the bottle of it NOT AntiSeize) not bearing grease or general grease…it melts.

[quote=“1BADGPGT,post:11,topic:39144"”]

I dunno if you mean people don’t pay any attention to them in general or instead of buying new sliders/bolts. Either way, they sell replacements cheap at the parts stores. Sometimes its easier for people that have bad rust or whatever on them and dont have access to a wire wheel.

A FYI: Lube the shit out of the sliders, with brake component lube (whether it be the small packet at the parts store counter or the bottle of it NOT AntiSeize) not bearing grease or general grease…it melts.

[/quote]

no, i mean when you are doing brakes, lube the fucking things when its all apart. it amazes me how lazy people/mechanics are when they are doing shit. the mechanic that did the work on the subaru i am currently driving is a fine example of this… because he was in such a hurry i had to pull all 4 brakes off and rebuild them. so i lost a couple hours of my weekend, and he lost my old ladys parents as customers.

^^^Oh yeah I know. My neighbor wanted me to ~advise~ him while he did his brakes. By the time I got over there he was on the pass. side. NO LUBE on ANYTHING!!! I asked if he had any lube, he pickes up the little packets (still closed) and says, “these”? LMAO So, he gave me $40 to redo his friggen brakes.

also check the lines, if they are old they may be clogged or creased thats also a cheap easy fix…GL

make sure there is some run out