Cleaning/Unsticking caliper sliders?

so after changing only the inner pads on le cackord for the last 2 years or so i figure i should pull the calapers off and clean the sliders up

i have some pb blaster and a vice, whats the best way to go about doin this? they just pull straight out once theyre off the car im guessing? what should i put on them to get them to stay smooth?

thanks

jam

I believe they need to be heated up and removed on your car last i remember. Do you have a torch…

^^ +1 Heat to remove, then take them to the wire wheel. I like to use anti-seize when putting them back together.

Jam - I have several torches and several ViseGrips if needed.

bring me them

where you at dude? ^^

Bench vise and try to turn them out with a socket, that usually works very well for me. Spray some Liquid Wrench in there first as i would assume that the rubber boots are all but a distant memory, otherwise you run the risk of snapping them off in the carrier. Just had to do this on the womans car.

heat visegrips and patience

+1. The stuff is awesome. You might just want to use some grease, though.

:picard: yeah great idea

Good idea would be to purchase a set of reman calipers, because hey brakes stop you and keep you alive. Even if you do unstick the bolts you will not get the rust out of the bore and it is bound to happen again

:picard:

why would i need new calipers, mine are fine. its the carriers that are rusted

Lets be honest here…everything is rusted :slight_smile:

Except the roof :slight_smile:

when you take off the 12mm bolt does it swing up at all like it should?

then just get new carriers and slider pins. They can’t be that expensive.

Goodluck finding just the carriers at a parts store.

have john donovan stare at them for about ten seconds, they should work no questions asked after that…

^^^ i pm’d him about it, sadly, he was busy :frowning:

im going to have him come over next week and yell at the cackord until the motor turns from an f22 into an h22a

If you want help screaming I can call the angriest matt i know.

Because most auto parts stores sell calipers with new sliders/carriers. I imagine you could just buy new sliders/carriers from the dealer, but at that point you would be better off buying a whole reman caliper

I am not going to sit here and argue with jandj.I will say this for once and for all.Stop sweating my nuts.I do not care what you think about me,going out of your way to express it on a web forum just proves how much you really need to grow up.You have no idea of my automotive background.I also have worked on alot of forum members cars.I imagine you wont find one complaint, Except maybe I am way to busy to get to there cars(oh and one very horrid brake line experience that I did not have the necessity or time available to repair).I have done lots of caliper slider services.Replacing the calipers is a good idea.It is not cost effective.With a file you can easily clean the rust out of the holes and once they are properly lubed the sliders will outlast the life of this car.Second I would not charge jam as he is a highly entertaining individual who has left me absolutely speechless at meets.In conclusion If you hate me so much hit the fucking ignore button as me and my horrid grammar are not going anywhere.