Thoughts on high compression turbo builds

I have never used the stuff and don’t like talking about stuff that I have heard from other people. I have researched it for my own vehicle and decided not to use it because there were too many questions that I had that were up in the air. I want to know exactly what will happen if I make a change to my car, and won’t make the change unless it’s been confirmed my multiple people and I have seen it in person.

i asked APR about my car and they said its doable, i would just have to add a separate program to my ECU so it would run normally. they didnt say anything about fuel lines or anything. i read that after 2001 or 2002 or so the fuel lines dont dry out because of E85, so newer cars are okay, its the older ones you have to worry about. i need to do more digging and see if anyone else is converting to E85 in boosted cars and what the supporting mods are.

Big injectors (1600cc) they make specific lines for e85, and 2-3 pumps.

I think thats a little overkill… Basically double the pump output and injector size required for regular fuel. -8 or -10 fuel feed line…

Big single with high c/r FTW

/thread

I was talking to GermanPSI and he said there are a few local na/t 300z’s and they move out!

This is all still just an idea but theoretically I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. The weak link on the N/A engine is the wristpins which would have to be swapped out for TT spec. If this does go through, I don’t plan on boosting more than 9.5-10 psi.

I’m confused about fuel though. Is E85 mandatory for high C/R with boost? Could I safely get it dyno tuned for 93 with an AEM system?

E85 will allow you to make more power than 93 on an affordable fuel so the car can be daily driven with more power at your disposal. If you want to use regular gasoline, you can always make 2 maps for the car on the AEM. One map for 93 with lower boost and less timing for the street, and another for race fuel with advanced timing and more boost for the track.

Wikipedia:

Comparisons to regular gasoline

Depending on composition and source, E85 has an octane rating of 100 - 105[4] compared to regular gasoline’s typical rating of 85 - 93. This allows it to be used in higher compression engines which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. Since the reciprocating mass of the engine increases in proportion to the displacement of the engine E85 has a higher potential efficiency for an engine of equal power.

One complication is that use of gasoline in an engine with a high enough compression ratio to use E85 efficiently would likely result in catastrophic failure due to engine detonation, as the octane rating of gasoline is not high enough to withstand the greater compression ratios in use in an engine specifically designed to run on E85. Use of E85 in an engine designed specifically for gasoline would result in a loss of the potential efficiency that it is possible to gain with this fuel. Using E85 in a gasoline engine has the drawback of achieving lower fuel economy as more fuel is needed per unit air (stoichiometric fuel ratio) to run the engine in comparison with gasoline. This corresponds to a lower heating value (units of energy per unit mass) for E85 than gasoline.

E85 consumes more fuel in flex fuel type vehicles when the vehicle uses the same compression for both E85 and gasoline because of its lower stoichiometric fuel ratio and lower heating value. European car maker Saab currently produces a flex fuel version of their 9-5 sedan which consumes the same amount of fuel whether running e85 or gasoline[5], though it is not available in the United States. So in order to save money at the pump with current flex fuel vehicles available in the United States the price of E85 must be much lower than gasoline. Currently E85 is about 5-10% less expensive in most areas.[6] More than 20 fueling stations across the Midwest are selling E85 at the same price as gasoline.[7] E85 also gets less MPG, at least in flex fuel vehicles. In one test, a Chevy Tahoe flex-fuel vehicle averaged 18 MPG [U.S. gallons] for gasoline, and 13 MPG for E85, or 28% fewer MPG than gasoline. In that test, the cost of gas averaged $3.42, while the cost for E85 averaged $3.09, or 90% the cost of gasoline.[8][9] In another test, however, a fleet of Ford Tauruses averaged only about 6% fewer miles per gallon in the ethanol-based vehicles as compared to traditional, gas-powered Tauruses.[10]

You CAN run 93 setup, just wont make as much power. I think that E85 is a bit more of a PITA than its worth, but thats just my opinion.

It’s not that much of a pain in the ass, you just have to research and understand what needs to be done. The only thing that sucks is if you are running an E85 map and you pour pump gas in the tank, you will grenade your engine.

That and E85 loves to eat any soft metals, such as aluminum and others. Sucks that you need to basically redo the fuel system, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do if you want the extra power.

If it were to only be boosted, say 10 psi, would E85 still be necessary?

Theres something I’ve been wondering about turbos too, is 10psi on a smaller turbo the same as 10 psi on a larger turbo? Basically what I’m asking is will the output be the same on either turbo if its only boosted 10psi?

Its not that its necessary or not. It would allow you to run more timing/boost. You should be able to run 10psi on 93 with the right tune. But at the same psi with E85 you could run more timing, making more power.

E85 is NEVER necessary. There is no way to tell what amount of boost will cause your car to detonate. If you get knock, pull boost and/or timing. You cant say “I’m going to run 10psi on 93 octane” because you don’t know what the motor will handle. Put 93 in the tank, start at nothing and work your way up until it knocks, then back it down to a safe level where you will not detonate regardless of altitude and/or weather conditions.

10psi on 2 different turbos is totally different. Larger turbos flow more air than smaller turbos. For example, I have a little 16g on my car at 22psi. If I ran a 35R on my car at 22psi, my head would take off like a rocketship right through my hood. LOL

^lol

If I do decide to do this, it will only see 10psi max. My goal isn’t more than 350-400 to the wheels.

And thanks for taking the time to explain all that

No problem… I’m getting paid to sit here on shift anyway… I might as well do something constructive… lol

Also, I’ve been told that the blend on E85 can change, and BOOM there goes your engine.

+1

My old T61 @18psi, compared to my 67DBB @ 18psi its a whole different animal.

my car with 23-24psi from a K03 vs 23-24psi from a 30R about 160whp difference

what