Thoughts on solid engine mounts.

solid mounts blow… I wish mine were not solid

the mckinney mounts i had in my 240 were only about 1/2 thick and SUPER hard… the car did not vibrate at all. Since inline 6s are the most balanced motors, i think solid mounts will be fine.

[quote=“zwarbyt,post:2,topic:27225"”]

i never imagined them making up the difference for the annoyance they cause

[/quote]

they don’t

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:37,topic:27225"”]

Go solid, unless you are looking for ride quality, which nobody should be when building performance. Go solid.

[/quote]

that makes no sense

[quote=“notch-dc5,post:41,topic:27225"”]

solid mounts blow… I wish mine were not solid

[/quote]

your car isnt solid mounts, they are poly mounts.

[quote=“newman,post:42,topic:27225"”]

the mckinney mounts i had in my 240 were only about 1/2 thick and SUPER hard… the car did not vibrate at all. Since inline 6s are the most balanced motors, i think solid mounts will be fine.

[/quote]

the smoothest motors are by far rotary. even with solid everything you barely notice. However like i said before. go with solid (metal for those that dont know what solid means) motor mounts and stick with poly tranny mounts. The front end will absorb most if any vibrations from the motor, however since your sitting on top of the tranny youlle need something softer like a poly so you dont feel it.

I would not go with solid. Even on my car I’m not running a full solid. Something close is what I prefer. I’m running what’s refered to as Ultra mounts on my car, it’s basically a solid with a very thin bit of rubber in them which helps cut down the really annoying vibrations.

What about just filling the mounts with the window weld or whatever people use?
and if your going to be using soild just remember its going to be more stress on the mounting spot. I have poly inserts with my car and my front radiator support where the front motor mount connects cracked. So I had to reinforce it by adding a sheet of 1/8" stainless steel.

If it was a track car I’d say yes.

So I’d say no.

bump…

rereading this thread helped me make up my mind… just want a little more input…

mainly from lopey big cube v8 guys who have RIDDEN or DRIVEN a solid mount car… NO HEARSAY :slight_smile:

I think it really depends on which kind of car there in, some cars shake like crazy and others don’t. I have them in my car and they are great.

OK, simple solution. Fill existing mounts with window weld…If it’s not stiff enough for you, go solid. Very little time and money spent if you then decide on the solid.

Got solid mounts in my 69 with the big block and all I know is that I WON’T eat Mighty Taco on days I drive it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“camarojoe,post:52,topic:27225"”]

Got solid mounts in my 69 with the big block and all I know is that I WON’T eat Mighty Taco on days I drive it. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

LOL…

to clearify… the ONLY reason im considering going solid is extra clearance for some BIG PIPES :slight_smile: as it is, i need to buy a tubular K. i already have prothane motor and tranny mounts, which is a pretty solid/comfortable setup.

real men go solid

i have solid mounts, its a love hate. the vibration is horrible but fuck it.

i have read on E30 tech a lot of guys dislike the solid mounts they claim shit breaks or is more likely to brake because they have no play. This is all on boosted M20’s not an RB motor so it many be a little different. Poly-Urethane mounts FTW i never heard anybody breaking shit with poly mounts.

fuck it. i will make that shit fit with my poly mounts

I have a solid mount on the drivers side and a stock one on the pass side,trans mount is stock also.This is on a 69 coronet with a 499 stroker and it doesnt vibrate at all.People will disagree with me but i have heard it has alot to do with the engine balancing.The factory engines arnt balanced as well as a engine that was balanced by a machine shop.However i dont think you would have the same problem as i would have if the mount broke.If my factory mounts would break the only thing stopping the engine from lifting up is the hood of the car.I think your mounts will catch on another piece of metal stopping it from coming up if it rips.I have also heard of people conplaining about vibrations with poly mounts seeing they are stiffer than rubber.I have not heard of them ripping though.

[quote=“challengermike,post:58,topic:27225"”]

snip

[/quote]

ACTUALLY i was wondering about that. im only lacking clearance on the one side. i was wondering if i could run one side solid and one side poly. specifically, passenger side solid, driver side poly. i thought it was a bad idea, but didnt know it was tried before…

any more input on that?

it would probably just add stress to the solid mount side… because its doing the job of both sides almost since it has no give

you are probably lucky that didnt crack yet now that i think about it