Thoughts on solid engine mounts.

F-dot’s Rex has solid mounts too if I remember correctly. Not the most comfortable thing for street driving. I’d stay away from them unless absolutely necessary.

Have my brother make some up for ya :tup:

since it’s not a DD, i say make them solid. how often will you drive this car? you have 2 other cars to cruise around comfortably in.

I put poly mounts in my car and only noticed a small difference in shaking. I had been in a cav with the same swap as me but with solid mounts and it was not that bad at all. and this guy was using it as his DD.

ya but that cav is hardly similar in most respects. cavilier /= turbo I6 /= lumpy v8

lol, who said his other rides were comfortable :rofl:

Go solid. I had a set of solids in one of my older Z’s, with a 358 V-8 and a big cam. Something like 305 degrees duration on a 108LSA. No big deal at all. It actually helps the car in a lot of ways, by lessening the stress on the tranny mount, and a very slight increase in the cars reaction to your right foot. It’s not like your car will suddenly turn into a harley with everything loosening up and your hands going numb on the wheel or anything, go for it.

dont bother. Dont get into the “just because its available I should put it on my car” mentality. They wont offer any performance benefit and on the street you want the car to be semi comfortable.

DO IT

70A-85A

+1 for using bushings. It seems like there is a lot of custom welding in that car that would be susceptible to fatigue cracking from all the vibration caused by solid mounts.

true, but i’m thinkin a turbo 3400 v6 would shake alot more than a good runnin RB

just do it go with the soild mounts.

i have solid mounts on the fd, i hope it doesn’t shake too much. As long as you aren’t using it as a DD, you should be fine.

McMaster-Carr… part number 8644K11

that stuff works amazing. 1 can will do every mount in the car if you wanted… I’ve used it several times.
I’m not sure how it would feel in the cabin with your setup, but i’d say it’s worth a try before you go ahead and weld them.

yup

fuck I love that car…next random bonus and it’s mine again

you still regret selling it Joe :slight_smile:

have us fools at urathane make you some…we have a large range of different durometers aval

Go solid, unless you are looking for ride quality, which nobody should be when building performance. Go solid.

All the bimmer guys run solid motor mounts with poly tranny mounts. They say that once you go solid tranny mount you feel/hear the vibrations.

Solids r a horrible chioce for street driven cars, I’m runnin poly’s, some vibration, but easy to live with. If I was doin it again, I’d use rubber, & chain or strap it, to keep the motor from torque’n over, an adjustable setup that allows the motor to shake at idle, but tight enough for imediate response to the loud pedal. You’ll have the best of both worlds:D

people that are saying solid mounts suck are also talking about different engines. some engines run much smoother than others. I have only ridden in sho’s with solid mounts and they arn’t that bad. it would be anoying on a long trip becuase your ass will go numb but the performance gains are worth it. + it is a interesting fealing to hear and feal the engine working it ass off :slight_smile:

when i ran open dump on the SHO there was so much vibration from the exhaust pulses it flet like i had solid mounts.

open dump + solid mounts = the win
quiet exhaust + solid mounts = the loose