Time Warner- Credit Check?

So I’m moving next week and can finally ditch my satellite internet for real internet. I set up an account with TWC and they scheduled an installation. They asked me for either my drivers license number or SS#, and I obviously went with the license. They call me up today and ask me to set up an appointment. WTF? I already did that. They pretended to have lost that info. Then they tell me they need my social. After doing some research I told the lady no f-ing way. First off, giving it to someone who called me on the phone. Second, a hard pull can affect my credit, and I’m likely buying a house in the next 6 months. I called back and they still refused to set it up without giving my social over the phone.

So my question is, is one “hard pull” going to in any possible way affect me buying a house, or affect my interest rate? I honestly never paid any mind to my credit score, and it was great 3 years ago, but I still barely got a mortgage because I owned a new business so I was high risk. No idea what my score is now, but my only change/debt is the house I’ll be selling within 2 weeks. This is not my area of expertise. Second, does anyone know a way around it, or know if Verizon pulls the same crap for FIOS? I need service without a contract because I’m not staying at the house long, and do not know where I’ll be buying after that. Basic internet and cable. Thanks.:tup:

They do that to make sure that you can afford the equipment if it is lost, stolen or damaged (i lost mine in a house fire FIOS was shitty about it, still fighting them). Or they make you pay a security deposit on the equipment. I think ATT U-Verse’s when I was living out of state for school was like 600 or 700 just for a security deposit. Radio shack for DTV converter and getting into my old neighbors internet for the win.

I have never had time Warner or fios ask me for my social. I wouldn’t give it out sounds sketchy. Do a non contract fios plan, time Warner is a joke. I cancelled service with them July of 2011 and did not owe any money on a bill and handed In the equipment the day I cancelled. I get a bill that I had service for September of 2011… I have fios at my new place, they sent it to collections because I refused to pay for service I didn’t have at the time or even agree to, needless to say, It didn’t affect my credit score and it’s in the mid 800s. I still get a call and fight with them that Im not paying the bill, I even offered to send the receipt of cancellation of handing in the equipment and they said it doesn’t matter it’s in collections now. That’s the only reason ill never deal with time Warner again.

I’d rather not deal with them either, but it’s temporary and the house already had TWC without issues, so I figured it was easiest. I’d rather pay a deposit as long as I get it all back. At first they told me I’d have to pay an extra $50 for something (red account maybe?) but then that fell off the table too. I just don’t know enough about credit to know if realistically it could affect me. At the end of the day I NEED internet so I’ll call Verizon to see if they’re any better.

It doesn’t matter if the house already had time warner cable as long as it has rg6 you should be fine and can get fios were your moving to. I’d steer far away from twc they are extremely shady.

the credit check shouldn’t impact your mortgage…they are looking for credit checks related to the extension of credit…TWC isn’t giving you a line of credit so it should have no impact. just like if you were interviewing for jobs and each employer wanted to do a credit check…those checks shouldn’t impact your credit worthiness for a loan or other lending purposes.

There is a difference in Time Warner checking your credit and a bank checking your credit.

I wouldn’t be so worried about it. I have had Time Warner, DirecTV and Verizon check mine which are very few examples, but no issues.

I would suggest rabbit ears wrapped in tinfoil for your tv service, then use the left over foil to make yourself a hat.

Jesus, just give them your ssn and move on.

The real question here is that, if a credit check for cable service can impact your ability to become a homeowner, that’s a pretty massive flaw in the credit reporting system. Well I guess it’s not a question, but you get the point.

JayS, people who monitor their credit score have stated that it went down when TWC ran a check, and it’s common knowledge that a “hard pull” is bad. (But bad enough to worry about?) Those are facts, no tinfoil needed. I was just inquiring as to if that could impact me negatively at all, and that is what everyone else is actually giving me useful information on. I run my own business and have no financial problems whatsoever, but as some small business owners may know, the banks consider you more of a risk than someone who gets a regular paycheck every week from an employer. Simply put, I’d like to avoid any risks that may make or break me getting the house I want, after which I could care less. The whole model is flawed, because this kind of thing should not negatively impact anyone. I’ve read countless stories about dealerships wanting to do a credit check for a simple test drive and the consensus is always to flat out refuse that until you’re actually buying.

Whoever said that to you is wrong. When TW checks your credit, it is not a “hard pull”. They do the same check that capital one, mastercard, etc… do when they send you those “prequalified” letters. What they are seeing is your payment history and your risk level. That will have nothing to do with you getting a house. A “hard pull” is considered one from a bank or credit card company or anyone looking to give you a loan. This will show exact score, loans to date, payment history, etc…all of your personal information is exposed at that point.

The people who monitor their credit almost daily crack me up. Most of them have debt to income ratios that make the Obama administration look like frugal spenders but freak out because a car insurance company might do a soft pull when shopping around for rates.

But yeah, you’re fine letting TW run your SSN. Same thing will happen with most services you want to sign up for.

You should give up on your dreams of having Internet and owning a house…

I think it’s a rumor when they say it lowers your credit score, when they check, seems like a crock of shit to me…

Awesome “I really don’t know” response.

LOL

Well I never saw my credit score degrade when they do that so, I have a valid statement.

Thanks for the responses. As I said before, I’m not knowledgeable on the subject so that is why I’m asking. I don’t monitor my credit daily or anything close. (And I learned there are forums basically dedicated to people who do that!) When I bought my house I was told my credit was about as good as it could get for someone my age, and I never intentionally did anything to raise it. My only debt is on the house that will be sold next week and I pay bills on time. I guess I’ll just risk it, unless FIOS ends up being a viable option.