time warner/VZW bitching

Time warner cable blows monkey balls. So does verizon. Dear Google-- please bring your dreamy fiber network to buffalo. Please?

I signed up under a “promotional rate” with TWC and they kept extending it under different deals they had running. It used to cost 27/mo since I have my own modem. I moved, so they charged me 35 dollars for a guy to come in and “test” my connection (not optional). Then my bill for one month was 35.99, next month was 40.99. I complained and they said they ended my promotional rate. Then they started charging me again for the rental of my OWN modem. I called and they switched it back. Now they charge me $0.99/month for owning my own modem. UNREAL that they charge for not renting equipment from them. I contacted the corporate office and they “referred it to local management for review”. Not holding my breath.

After further thought, I wonder if this 99 cent charge for having my own modem is an intentional billing error to suck some more money out of people. 99 cents a month times a hypothetical 100,000 subscribers that have their own modems is a lot of money (over a million dollars a year). When people complain, they just say “ooh, its a billing error, sorry”. TWC is shady, im sure this isn’t beneath them.

I tried pricing verizon DSL. They FORCE you to order home phone service in addition to internet. Cheapest plan is $44.99/mo (15 phone, 30 internet for comparable speed to cable). I said i use my verizon cell for my “home” phone, and asked if they could use it towards home service, and they said no, it was “mandatory” you pay for home phone service.

I hate TWC customer service. I HATE that verizon forces you to pay for a completely separate service that I wont use. I refuse to give them money for it.

/rant
I wish there were more options.

Cancel both move on with life?

Well…I mean you do need phone Service for DSL. Kinda how it works.

Can you get FiOS?

However the phone service thing is new to me I know businesses that have had DSL with out phone service.

Still goes through the phoneline though right? I figured you’d just have to have phone service as well.

Funny this thread came up, I’m dropping TWC tomorrow. I wish Fios was available in my area but it’s not. So I just decided to get rid of cable altogether and run my internet off a mifi that draws off my cell phone data.

I think the whole cable/internet and even cell phone service stuff is a bunch of BS. I don’t know how they retain the power to pull the type of shit that they do.

Try this see if you can get DSL from Earthlink it will go around the phone service requirement from Verizon and its the same service :slight_smile:

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

For the amount of time most of us spend online and the number of things that revolve around internet access $40 a month is pretty cheap.

I realize cable TV is expensive and worth dropping however paying $40 for internet and being able to stream most TV content is well worth it.

I’m pretty sure TWC also has lower speed plans that start around $20ish

Fios isnt available yet. Ill probably end up with that once it is.

I used to have dsl and never had to pay for home phone service. Your cable internet provider doesn’t force you to pay for tv service because you “kinda need cable service for internet”.

Fios needs to get a list going of people willing to sign up so they know where to branch to.

Try the earthlink route that I just mentioned.

I dont think 40 is that outrageous, but i should be getting more than 1.2mbps down for that price. I am more angry at their customer service than anything.

you used to be able to get dry loop dsl… no voice line.

now they want to pad their numbers and are forcing people to get it.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

I pay about $50/month for internet, have a nice HD antenna, and stream everything else. Hulu has a great desktop app, everything is HD, and networks that dont play nice with hulu stream their own stuff. CBS doesnt even put commercials in their streams.

I get 35x5 for around $50 a month :lol:

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

GO HERE http://www.earthlink.net/access/dsl_freestanding.faces

I pay about $90 for FiOS 25x25 and HD Cable. The Internet by itself is $45 - $5(promotion).

You do not have to have verizon phone to have their DSL service. We used to have only verizon DSL with no home phone, this was a few yrs back now.
Call back and check, I know there was a $2-3 charge for DSL only service but it was still sub $20.

I doubt it if you’re bitching about $40/month for internet. Fios is expensive, especially without TV.

I’m at $112/month for their digital HD tv package, 1 cable card and 50/25 internet. It should be quite a bit more than that but I did the whole, “I need a deal or I’m going to have to switch to Time Warner” thing with their retention department.

Yeah I completely agree. $40 for internet isnt that bad of a deal but the way these companies jerk you around, hide fees, force fees, etc is incredible. They get away with it because people dont have (or at least dont realize they have) other options.

This is the other option.

Im on the same program. Granted im cheap as hell, I just cant justify paying for a cable subscription to which I only use a few hours a week (and I really enjoy TV), but worse, only use a few channels. I seriously wonder if cable users realize that theyre being sold 90% programming that they never use. Hopefully the companies will be forced to go to an a la carte method with the way netflix and hulu are tearing up the market. Id gladly overpay for the 10 stations I use rather than have to pay that huge lump sum for the 100 stations I dont.

I pay $29.99 a month for 20 Meg internet with TimeWarner. That is it. I own my modem. Pay for nothing else and its perfect. No phone. No cable.

FioS is awesome. I took the Jays route my first year and got 1 box, and 45/45 mbps, 200 channels, showtime and HBO for $55/month + tax. My renewal came up and they weren’t as flexible but I still only pay 89.99+ tax now.

My mom just switched to FioS and got the same deal I did at $55 so it wasn’t a fluke.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I had adsl through Verizon without a home phone before.

Verizon is the worst customer service I think I’ve ever had personally. When I cut the home phone off and opted to stay DSL they never told me about a new “contract” (not verbally or otherwise). Fast forward 2 months before my “contract” I never agreed on expires and I switch to RoadRunner. I called to terminate DSL which they happily did…THEN told me I owed them something like $200 for early termination. I laughed at him and said why didn’t you tell me about that before cutting me off, I would have just run the 2 months out at $30 a month, reverse that. He said it’s too late, it’s terminated. I asked for a manager and he says “they are all in meetings and can’t reverse this anyways”. I said have a manager call me ASAP to discuss this and he said ok. Never got the call, never got a bill from Verizon. Many months later I start getting collection notices, they sold my supposed debt off without even trying to collect it. They will never get that money and I’ll probably never have Verizon again. LOL

Verizon made it a new thing that they require home phone service to do DSL. Basically to keep their numbers up and not have to do Dry Loops instead.

PM me your address I can run a check through the company I work through that resells DSL. We are still allowed to do Dry Loops so you would not need to have home phone service. They would run a line from the street/pole to the house to your phone box on the outside of the house. After that you are responsible for hooking it up further.

Also as a note basically all DSL is resold from Verizon, AT&T, Cogent, and a couple of other main providers. So, if you are in a Verizon area, no matter who you buy your DSL through, it is Verizon DSL.