Timing belt broke on my B18

Just a few noob questions for you guys. Today while making a left hand turn my motor died in my civic, after a quick look under the hood i noticed my timing belt ripped in half ( which is kind of weird because there are only 40,000 miles on the motor). I brought the car home and ripped the head off and expected to see a mess and at least some broken valves, I see none of this. Is it possible i got away very lucky or is it possible that the valves could still be bent somehow? and if so is there any easy way of finding out if they are bent?

check for marks on the pistons to see if any valves smacked a piston. if not grab a new timing belt and start her up. if you’re truly worried about it i’ve got a valve spring compressor to take off the springs and retainers and check each valve… give me a shout and i’d give ya a hand.

^i checked the valves and pistons over a million times now just for my own sanity and there is not a single scratch. I guess i was just expecting the worse. i will give you a call tomorrow or stop by the store.

Did you try starting it after it died? Sometimes if you leave it alone and don’t try starting it, the valves will survive. Unfortunately when my belt snapped i tried starting my car several times and probably bent my valves. I didn’t want to chance it so i threw my vtec head on and refreshed the motor which is what you should do :slight_smile: good luck!

you know just go pick up a belt and put it on… i snaped a belt and even messes up some valves and that thing ran fine …yea it shot fire out the cat and such but it ran faster IMO just try it…and if it does not work pick up a new head for a few 100 bucks

link for head
http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48407

one of my buddies threw a timing belt on an ls motor and did no internal damage. He got it replaced and the car ran great.

i saw it on north french

Where did you get this engine from to know for sure it only had 40k trouble-free miles?

yea that was mine thank god i did not get on the thruway, thats an expensive tow!

The motor and the car i bought from freek on this forum. The motor was rebuilt and he turned the odometer back to zero when he rebuilt it.

grab a new belt and toss it on. Check to make sure you dont have a bent pulley somewhere that could be chewing the belt.

yea i saw you at sunoco the other night when u pulled out i even said to my buddy. that thing sounds like its about to go.

if there isnt any damage on the valves or pistons…just throw a new belt on and it should be good. but like focusinprogress posted…check to see if anything looks out of the ordinary and that might have caused the old one to snap. GL :tup: