Tint part of the NYS Inspection? Yes, it's being proposed

And I’m not really happy about it.

I’m totally against NY’s ridiculous tint laws but if you’re going to have tint laws on the books making it part of the annual inspection makes way more sense than the current system of randomly pulling over cars to hassle them about it on the side of the road.

Jesus fucking Christ on stick!!! News 4 called them "TintS!!! That’s like my 4 year old son saying “Stuffs,” but he hasn’t graduated anything yet except Pre-K so I’ll let it slide. But a news website, come the fuck on!!! Tint is for douchebags with pencil beards, wife beaters, and shorts that are long enough to be pants. Or, all of South Buffalo.

Double post

I’m confused why they would want to do this…now state/town/city will lose ticket revenue and the excuse to pull people over.

PS… this is pretty much already law. With it passing the senate and assembly and being such an innocuous piece of legislation there’s almost zero chance Cuomo isn’t going to sign this.

Say so long to paying your “tint tax” with a ticket now and then if you wanted to have tinted windows. Time to make friends with an ophthalmologist and get a script because bright sun gives you headaches. :slight_smile:

Reason number 72279202574621039474 to GTFO out of NY.

So this will cost shops money to get this new tool. It will now take up more time for shops which already get underpaid for doing inspections. I’m sure it will also raise the cost of inspections because of the complaints that will follow from shops since they aren’t making money but ather probably losing it.

And why do I like tint on my hatchback, so that joeblow doesn’t see what I have in my trunk or lack there of. And based on the tint laws now, Hatchbacks and Wagons are not SUV’s or Van’s.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36615&stc=1

^ The meters are less than $300 and you’re talking about something that takes 30 seconds to do. I’m sure the labor rate to remove the tint on a couple cars will more than pay for the meter.

And no, I don’t buy the “oh these poor shops that barely make any money doing inspections” argument either. A good friend of mine recently closed up his shop (not for lack of profit, but for personal time issues) and there’s such a demand for the NYSI licenses and the state only approves so many of them per county he was able to sell his for huge money. Shops WANT do to inspections because it’s a money machine. Not in the $21 fee for the inspection, but in the fact that the vast majority of people that fail simply say, “do what you need to so it will pass because I have to have my car”.

But like I said earlier, the tint law itself it just stupid. So many states allow it and they don’t have epidemics of pedestrians getting hit and cops are able to make traffic stops just fine. If you’re going to have the law though it makes much more sense to enforce it at inspection than with traffic stops. Police have better things to do than chase stupid equipment violations in states where we already inspect all vehicles annually.

^^This.^^ We’ve got sooooooooooo many other bigger fucking problems and they need to go out and make this something else they need to get involved in. You wanna police my fucking tint, I wanna see ALL vehicles including state / government vehicles (such as asshole Cuomo’s) transport vehicles comply. Sick of this fucking management of every aspect of my life. Last time I got pulled over at night by a police officer, I couldn’t even see my own license the lights were so bright.

I’ll just keep a piece of clear glass with me for inspection. I’ve never had a car really “inspected” in my life. Always having friends in the industry, my personal cars a pass as long as they plug in fine. The tint will be no different.

Tint sucks anyway unless you’re actually some public figure IMO. It’s always people with $10k cars trying to look cool.

That’s my two crotchety cents.

Edit: That said, fuck NYS and fuck regulation, so I’m still against it on principle.

Or it keeps the car cooler?

I’ll just run my air conditioning and cooled seats if I need to be cooler.

How much will they charge for the monthly calibration of the tint inspection tool? :wink:

I’m sure they’ll decide that by using $4mm of taxpayer funds to assemble an advisory council.

Tint has been part of Texas inspection every year. I take my car to the ten minute inspection place and the dude puts a tint gun on the windows.

I think our law is no darker than 25 percent on the front windows, and everything goes for the rest of the windows.

I have 30 percent on the front windows and factory tint plus 5 percent on the back windows.

Keeps me cool I would actually get sunburn through the glass when I first moved down here.

Yep I’m one of those guys with a $10k car, I’m not a P car owner.

When I lived in NY, I had to scrape tint off a car. The officer told me that pretty much no tint is legal on the front windows in NY and he showed me when my factory glass was 72 percent with no tint on it.

Same with NC, it’s part of inspection. I think here the limit is 35%.

Whats wrong with South Buffalo, I think you mean west side??