Tire chains

Is it legal to run chains on your tires in NYS? If not are there any NYSDOT approved traction chains that I could use? I just don’t want to get stuck this winter…

doubt it.

I heard you can only run them between certain dates. If so that is fucked up. I know some states require you to carry chains…

Studded snows…

[quote=“The_Russian,post:4,topic:39604"”]

Studded snows…

[/quote]

I have snows already. Just looking for a cheaper alternative to buying a new set of tires. Also, although I would keep them in the car I don’t think I would run them all the time.

There is no reason you’ll ever need chains in Western New York…

I have driven through snow that was drifting over the headlights of my DSM 2 years ago, and I was on plain snows.

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:6,topic:39604"”]

There is no reason you’ll ever need chains in Western New York…

I have driven through snow that was drifting over the headlights of my DSM 2 years ago, and I was on plain snows.

[/quote]

:confused::confused::confused: Are you from here?

??? Are you?

You dont need chains, period.

All I’m saying is that are certainly times in Western NY that snow chains would be helpful in achieving traction in a RWD car. All I want to know is: Is it legal? I’ve seen websites “state.gov” that recommend snow chains in snow emergencies and slippery winter conditions… Just kinda confused

Yes. I am. I live in Southern Erie. Never had a situation where tire chains would’ve been needed. The time I was talking about was driving up Fish Hill Rd (seasonal road) in March during a snowstorm.

If we were out west where there are untreated mountain passes, then yeah, get some chains, but you live in WNY, there is no need for chains.

Are you guys fucking dumb? I didn’t ask if I need chains. I asked if anyone is knowledgeable of the law regarding their use. If you don’t have anything to say on that topic thanks, but no thanks.

edit: The question could have been academic for that matter. Fuck it, forget I asked

Talked to my cousin, State troopa.

Chains are only allowed in EMERGENCY situations.

You will get ticketed for using them daily, they damage the roads.

Emergency driving situation, is a traffic alert advised by the news station that no one should be out unless you have to be, and is a 5-8" per hour snowfall rate for Buffalo/rochester/syracuse.

[quote=“The_Russian,post:12,topic:39604"”]

Talked to my cousin, State troopa.

Chains are only allowed in EMERGENCY situations.

You will get ticketed for using them daily, they damage the roads.

Emergency driving situation, is a traffic alert advised by the news station that no one should be out unless you have to be, and is a 5-8" per hour snowfall rate for Buffalo/rochester/syracuse.

[/quote]

Thank you. You answered my question exactly. :clap:

Well, considering this law…
"New York - Tire chains are required when snow emergency has been declared. See New York law, Title 3, article 9 equipment of motor vehicles and motorcycles, § 375 equipment, 35 tires. "
…I’d say they are legal.

But I still think they are entirely unneeded in WNY.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6210/mustangchainsmediumtl8.jpg

just make sure you use them properly… just like they did

^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!one1!1! wtf is wrong with people?

HAHAHA I like that.

[quote=“91CRXSI,post:15,topic:39604"”]

just make sure you use them properly… just like they did

[/quote]

LMFAO morons

you do know that max speed of chains is like 35 mph right? anymore and you get crazy vibrations from how unbalanced they are, not to mention the noise

So basically in NYS the only time tire chains are legal is when it’s illegal to be driving.

Because once a snow emergency has been declared I can guarantee a travel ban has also been declared.