Tire choices

I just put my summer tires on and man are they worn. The stock 95 240 se rims are looking tired too but I’m still debating on whether to stick with the existing rims and get nice tires or get some nice rims and less expensive tires. Any suggestions for which tires to get? I do 80km’s of highway a day so I’m looking for something with decent treadwear. I’m just pricing stuff out right now so I’m open for suggestions. I looked at Michelin Pilot Sport’s but they’re kindof pricey. Conti’s? Potenza’s? Kumho’s?

Jason

I’ve used Kumho 711, 712 and T1-S on my integra… They use the new tire compound forumlas the have silica blend into them

The 711 a bit more quiter but less performance and a bit less life… but its a bit cheaper than the 712… Overall they’re pretty good street tires and give a bit of performance…

I’d go with a Toyo T1S if you got a bit more cash… much better in the rain than the kumho 712 and a better on the dry. Though the T1S will wear fast for the first 4/32 or so then you get the tire worn in and start to see last longer life.

To me the best bang for the buck would be the Kumho 712’s.
Not sure what this year’s typical prices are… kumho has recently put out some new tires… haven’t tried them yet but they’re supposed to be longer lasting and better performance.

i got a good price on pirelli p7000’s, but everybody i talked too said those tires are complete crap. was thinking of going with kuhmo’s, but i get the pirelli’s cheaper.

dude, i ran the pilot, they lasted me a bit over a year, but i used them on the track, and messed them up good there. then i locked up my brakes bad, and put a flat patch on them, so they got scrapped prematurely. wouldn’t really call them a super performance tire, but they were nice on the street, not really worth the coin IMO.

id suggest the khumo exta supra 712 or the ventus k102.

they are bot reasonably priced and have good wear/performance ratio

please pm if your looking for tires

GT

I checked out some reviews on tirerack.com’s website and didn’t see a lot of good reviews on the Pilots. I guess its not always the case that if you spend more $$, you get better quality. I originally budgeted for about $700-$800 for tires (tax in, installed w/new lugs & locks) but if I can get really good tires for less, its all good.

Jason

A fair number of us like the poor man’s R-compound: Falken Azenis Sport. Very sticky and quick to wear but they will endow your car with god-like handling.

If most of your driving is on the highway, its probably not worth it to go with the Azenis or anything too expensive. Generally, anything sticky will not last too long, and its kind of a waste to wear away good tires on the highway. Im a fan of the Kuhmo 712s for what they are, cheap, fairly sticky in dry and good in wet.

80km a day highway is a lot, so I say go with Kuhmo 712s for daily driving.

word,

if i put azenis on i would walk right through them with all the highway driving i do. mind you they look sexy as hell.

Still lookin around for tires… I talked to a guy at a tire place near here and he was tellin me about these new tires coming out that are geared towards the “tuner market”. Fuzion they’re called. Anyone heard of them before? He also mentioned Toyo Proxes TPT and that they are a good balance between good treadwear and good performance. They don’t carry Kuhmo so I’ll have to find a shop around here to check them out too.

Jason

I just bought the Toyo Proxes TPT for my 91. 205 60R15. ($120/tire, installed & balanced) I’m finding them to be above agerage in the rain but not “great”. They stick to the wet surface much better then other tires I’ve owned but don’t displace near as much as a hydro branded tire.

In the dry traction, they’re ok, I can’t test they’re launch traction since i have an automatic and don’t feel like beating on my car, but they stick in the corners and I’ve never broken loose/squaked on an onramp yet. Nothing to sticky but beat the pants off of other tires i’ve run before. (Firestone Firehawks, Tigerpaws)

If you have any questions I’ll be glad to help out. Also If you want to get the price I mention above and Live in hamilton, I’ll see what I can do for you.

Richard

im curious about the dunlop sport fm-901 or whatever. seems to be priced well and i hear its a good performing tire. anyone have any experience with them?

aznies tires are STREET TIRE!! they are not R-Compounds!!! You can drive them on the street all day long, SO-3 has way more grip than those falkens… they are nice tires but they are nothing compared to an R-Compound. Dont be afraid to wear the falkens they are a great value for any street car, however they dont offer much grip if you compare them to an R-compound, and they suck in anything wetter than a damp road.

mike you need to try a set of RA-1s on your car, then you’ll know the difference!! :lol:

Hey Sasha,
when I said “poor man’s R-compound” I was trying to say “R-compound like grip on a Motomaster budget” :lol: There is a certain project car that has Azenis and streetable suspension that has pulled over 1G on the skidpad. This certain car has also been run with R-compounds and tested again with no significant improvement in lateral grip or 1/4 mile times.

Sorry to brin up an old thread. But has anyone tried “Federal Tires” from Tawain? Been quoted $112/tire installed and balanced for SS535 ( www. ferderaltire.com ). Supposedly in the same performance range as the Kumho 712.

I was wondering the same thing about the federal tire.
I’ve been looking for someone that has used those tires before, and finally found someone on NEO.

He said that they are good on wet road, and so far is pretty decent on dry road. He has only had them for a while.

Also whats the deal with Wanli tires? Any good/bad opinions?