Tire Comparison (ST class)

Well, I’ve run two sets of Azenis now, I know that Hankook released their competitor tire last year the Ventus Rs2 Z212’s. Robherself bought these, said she liked 'em and they were a bit quieter than the azenis which is always nice.

Anyone else have some experience with these tires? I like the Azenis, just looking to see if I should try and switch it up or not. Any other suggestions?

well as with all great questions, there is an answer lurking nearby, just came across this tire comparison on grassroots… pretty comprehensive

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/images/samples/august_100_115_tiretest.pdf

Yeah, but it’s old data. Bridgestone became the dominant tire last year, and this year Kumho and Toyo are coming out with new ST class tires too, so the choises aren’t as easy anymore.

Chino, you need to man up and buy a set of wheels for your race tires so that they are sticky for more than one event.

I already knew sureshot would be yelling at you about race tires when I saw that he posted in here, lol

interesting… any test results on the new rubber?

yea, but then i can’t spend all summer spanking rob and zong around in STU.

unless you’re saying to get a 3rd set of wheels to just keep my autocross “street” tires on, in which case i’m on board for that plan. that still didn’t answer my question though!

Jim who are you kidding? you are always behind me :slight_smile:

edit: nohomo

o-rly? you did get lucky at a few events though :wink:

Yes, a set of wheels specifically for your autox tires, whatever they may be. They will remain stickier longer that way, and not be totally shot by the third event.

As for the tire to get, it’s hard to say at this point. Like Dave said, there are some new tires coming out for next season. The killer for last season was the Bridgestones, but that could change with the new tires coming out.

My suggestion for anyone at less than a nationally competitive level:
Get whatever is cheap. If you find a good deal on a decent tire, go with it. There more time to be had through experience. If you think you are pushing it as fast as it will go on your setup, then have Dave drive your car for a run. If he doesn’t spank you, then maybe it’s time to move up to the best tires.

yea, i know this is all true and i’m certainly not at the limits of the car/setup… but figure since im buying now might as well do some looking into what works best :stuck_out_tongue:

however, you are right if it was the difference between 100/tire and 200/tire, i’d go with 100 just because im not pro by any means.

I ran the Ventus RS2 Z212’s on my GTO this year and wasn’t all that impressed. It’s hard to do a direct comparision between them and the Azenis 615’s though since I had the Azenis on the Fiero. It seemed to push forever coming out of grand bend at Dunnville. Some of that I’m sure was due to the stock alignment and suspension on the GTO, but reading the Grassroots review makes me think some of it was the tire.

As for wear, 3 autocrosses, one track day, and a summer of hooligan like driving were all they were good for.

Some Bridgestone vs. Falken testing: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/042007/st-tire-testing-bridgestone-vs-falken.php

National STX results say Yok’s

Toyo has a new tire coming out for this year
http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-talk/viewtopic.php?t=882

zong, if im back in town this summer. ur going to need more than a prayer/AWD to beat me in my FF piece of junk ford

i walked all over 13 evos/stis in florida. and im sure there are some comparable drivers down there:tantrum:

I’m gonna go back to street tires this year, got some decisions to make too. The new toyos sound interesting, they are supposedly coming out with a 225/45/15 which is the perfect size for me but not sure when. The kumhos will only come in larger sizes, probably good ones for subarus though. its all up to the compounds whether they will be fast or not, they will both be right at 140 treadwear.

I’ve read that the 195 width bridgestone is stickier than 205 azenis and 225 'kooks. Maybe not for a heavier car though? I don’t think I would switch to hankook from azenis

you drive a ford?

The Jonses picked up a set of RE-01Rs at the end of the season for their STX WRX, and had a lot of good things to say about them. Not sure on what size they’re running.

245/45-17

I yelled at them about that, too, as all the STX cars at the Pro that were leading the class were running a smaller diameter tire (either the Yokos or the B-Stones in 245/40 or 235/40) to help the gearing.

The 'Stones are also supposed to be much better shaved than unshaved.

Knew I forgot to mention something. If I’m remembering correctly the top layer of the compound and lower layer are different, so when you shave them, you’re not only getting rid of the squirm, but you’re also getting faster rubber.

im happy with the Hankook Rs-2, but i use them as a track Rain tire, for autox theyre still very good but they get eaten up way too fast…