Tire pressures.... how much is too much

So yesterday one of my “non-car friends” was telling me his dad is one of those stupid hypermilers and now he’s trying to get everyone on the hypermiler bandwagon. Anyway, the guy’s dad spent a couple hours fucking with everyone’s tire pressures, “because the manufacture doesn’t know what the pressures really should be”. :meh:

Basically his hypermiler handbook says look at the max PSI rating of the tire and subtract 5 or 6 PSI. In the case of my friends little Saturn Ion, than meant 46 PSI in each tire. Manufactures recommended pressure of 32.

My opinion was he’s compromising safety and tire life for a few bucks in gas and should go kick his dad in the nuts.

1. Your contact patch is smaller.
  2. The roll resistance of the tire is much less, meaning quicker steering reactions which are great for autocrossing but not real great on the highway for the typical clueless driver.
  3. The tire is going to wear faster in the middle than the edges.
  4. The tire is much more likely to be damaged by pothole or debris impact.

What do you think?

Not to mention ride quality, and wear on the car itself. It’s a self-canceling benefit unless he’s picking up a good deal of fuel mileage.

Safety-wise, should the car need to be pushed towards it’s limits they are now lower. (Emergency stop, collision avoidance.)

I think making his plastic bodied car less safe was brilliant.
theres no way it should ever be over 5lbs more then what the factory calls for.
Also think of the heat factor, a blow out is probably iminent

I think you’re right. Tire rack has plenty of great articles.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1&

didn’t read the thread.

Please tell me the hypermiler has one of those Explorers which came with tires that exploded because they were overfilled…?

Not to mention it will beat up on suspension components.

If you drive a fucking saturn ion, then you can afford to put gas in it, and you don’t need to do anything else to it.

Trust me I own one, it gets 34mpg no matter what I do to it.

I can’t see trying to save 20 cents or whatever a fillup by over inflating tires.

See, I’m curious to know roughly how much tire life “over” filling takes away from you.

I’d be surprised if hyper-filling your tires saves you $1 a fillup.

You’re talking about adding extra wear to the tires, and alot of small drivetrain parts… considering that you’re going to use the tires & chassis as often as you’re going to use the gasoline.

I just don’t see it paying out in your favor in the end.

:gotme:

Wasnt the issue underinflation on the explorer blowouts?

yeah, you’ll save minimal amounts of $ on gas, but more on tires.

kind of robbing peter to pay paul type thing.

^ … and oil is used in the making of tires, so the greenies still lose on that transfer of cost.

don’t honestly remember. I obviously thought it was over inflation.

:shrug:

In any case, the threat of explosion is the same.

As is adding to the possibility of tread seperation. Slim as that maybe, it’s an even slimmer chance when running appropriate psi.

Not too mentio the handling losses (even at just highway speeds) of runing the tire like that.

etc etc.

edit - just read the OP, so, :word:

:mamoru:

It was underinflation with the explorer.

Fat people are too lazy to check tire pressures.

Now thats why most car makers put tire monitoring systems in the wheels to cater to the fat lazy people.

but, fat people cannot be hypermilers by default.

True hypermiles should understand Stage 1 weight reduction. IMO.

So basically I have nyspeed permission to kick this guy in the sack.
:tup:

:tup:

I emailed that to him. But I’m sure his dad will think that’s just some oil company/tire company conspiracy. I mean, he’s dumb enough to think hypermiling is a great idea.

I used to get crazy bitches in their Sequoia’s with 20" rims saying their tire pressure light was on when I worked for Toyota. I’d check them and they’d all be at like 80psi. Damn women.

1. Agree
  2. The quicker steering response is do to the higher cornering stiffness caused by the higher pressure. Resulting in the tire’s ability to produce greater lateral acceleration at lower slip angels. Steering response has nothing to do with rolling resistance. Steering moment (the tires wanting to straighten out or correct the steering wheel) could be related to rolling resistance but not “directly”.
  3. Agree
  4. There is more stress being applied to the ply’s (cords, belts, whatever term you would like to use) at a higher pressure. So it would increase the chances but in most situations if the recommended pressure is not exceeded the chances of damage is negligible.

In my opinion, not supported by facts, the better pressures to run at is about 5 psi above the AUTOMOBILE manufacturer’s suggested pressure found on the door pillar. Better fuel economy, not much increased wear, “sporty” feel, the only down side is decreased ride comfort.

But hypermilaging @ 45 psi is stupid.

There were two issues with the Explorer incidents.

Ford couldn’t get the Explorer to handle properly so they keep lowering and lowering the rear pressure against Firestone’s suggestion. The final pressure was like 22 psi (way too low for a vehicle of that size).

I got this from a less reliable hear say source: Firestone left out a component in the tire that was identified on the DOT code. Basically the lied about or changed how the tire was made from the initial pass on the DOT test.

In southern climates w/ heat + the ridiculously low pressure Ford was trying to run = fail.

Didn’t mean rolling resistance. I was talking about the tire’s tendancy to roll over on it’s sidewall when making hard steering inputs at manufactures recommended pressures. At 46 PSI the tire isn’t going to roll over much at all, mean any input you give it is going to instantly turn the vehicle. Great if you’re autocrossing, probably not so great for the average driver who isn’t expecting it or used to it.

I usually run my tires about 4 PSI over recommended but no where near the levels these hypermilers are suggesting. No stats to back it up, but after autocrossing for 5 or 6 years now and constantly playing with pressures 4 psi over my door jam rating just “feels” better. For all I know it’s in my head.

Kinda, sorta,yeah.

But yes, slow reacting, mushy, understeering cars are good for average drivers. If a car is going to hit something head on is best.