Tires... Proxes 4 or Falken Ziex 912?

I’m looking to replace the tires on my Speed6. They need to be all season, cause I dont have the cash to buy what I really want, Falken Azenis 615s for summer, and then 17" wheels/tires for winter :frowning:

I have narrowed it down to two choices:
225/45/18

Toyo Proxes 4 or the new Falken Ziex ZE 912.
http://edgeracing.com/tires/2254518/

Anyone deal with either of these tires for both performance and winter driving?

They both compare way better on reviews than my stock shit michelins in snow/ice/rain/dry/treadwear… ok, they compare better in every category!

The Toyos are $10 more a tire… and thats the only thing really that I notice would be a difference. $40.

Opinions/comments/suggestions?

I have the Falkens, no complaints other than how loud they are. Never tried driving in the snow on them though since the car has been in FL and now Vegas.

i dont mind loud. Not my biggest concern :slight_smile:

its all about the handling and performance in all conditions. I wont have dry performance like a slick or RT-615 with either tire… but anything is gonna be better than my bald stockers :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply/insight on the Ziex Boomin

What did you do last winter? Did you run the stock potenzas?

yea, stock potenzas blow. They’re bald after 13000 miles too.

i’m surprised you got that much out of them. I have only 4k on mine and they’re at about 50% in the front.

winter wheels and tires are so nice though. Mine loves snow with the 17" blizzies. I think I got the wheels and tires for less than $500. Sucks you need also summer tires.

you can’t afford azenis in the summer and graspics (sp) in the winter?

Just re-mount

It’s worth the $$$

I have run a few sets of the Ziex 512’s on the civic. They are cheap tires. Worked well for the $39/tire I bought them for in 205/50/15. The SUCKED in the snow the couple of times I got caught out last season. For that money, I would not recommend them. On the last set, I had 2 sidewall blowouts.

i didnt like the falken ziexs at all didnt handle very well wore some what quick but i did cut 2.0 60fts on a set of 205/50/15s so i dunno

I just put a set of the new Falken 912s on my Legacy. Drove to Boston and back on them, and that’s it so far. Not much to say other than the road noise isn’t bad, then again my car is kinda loud :shrug:

I’m thinking of going Toyo Proxes 4 now.

A question that I’m sure is gonna have the answer “2% isnt that big of a deal…”

225/45/18 is the correct sizing, but costs $30/tire more!

I can get 225/40/18 but lose 2% on the speedo, showing me going 2% faster than I really am.

Do I get the 225/40/18? At the moment, my bald ass stock tires are showing almost 4 MPH quicker on the speedo due to the tread wear. So, 2% at full tread… who cares, right? It changes through the entire life of the tire anyways…

Did I just answer my own question? 225/40/18 over 225/45/18, am I right?

the falkens aren’t bad, but they aren’t great either. i know that won’t help at all tho LOL

I found a speedo error about 4% too. I’d go with the 45’s personally.