To sell or not to sell

I am not set in stone about anything but here is the story. I love my car. A lot. However, with going to college and trying to save money, I am thinking that I should sell and get out of the car scene until I can really be comfortable doing it, with the car I actually want. I hate growing up. What do you guys think?

Do you need the money?

Are you aware of the realistic value/market of your car?

Are you emotionaly attached to that one specific one or is it “rare” by any standarts?

Would you like another car?

Are you allowed to have cars on campus?

Those are just some of the few questions that would help in making the decision.

Sit down and think, realistically, about how much you spend on your car every month.

If you owe money on it, start with the monthly payment, then factor in insurance, gas, as well as an average of what you spend, per month, in maintenance/mods.

If the number startles you, then maybe that’s the reason you have started to think of selling.

You mention “being comfortable”… Does this mean what you are spending monthly on the car is taking away from other things? If these things include some basic necessities, sell immediately.

If these things that you could spend money on instead are just other distractions aside from your car, think about what you get out of owning your car as opposed to what you could be using that money for instead (another hobby, gaining other skills, savings). In other words, weigh one against the other.

Another compromise is to move to a cheaper car that you can still mod and still feel financially comfortable.

Money is not the issue. I can def. afford what I have now, however, it is more a question of what works best for me now. I can keep my car, not mod it and just spend money on the upkeep with the constant agony of, “should I mod it” going on in my head.

Or I can get a nice car, but not something I would spend a lot of money on modding. Something that is practical, year round, and makes sense. I love cadillacs, especially the DTS and STS models, I don’t care for the CTS, it just feels cheap in comparison to the other two…

I dunno.

A lot of good advice in here.

If you do mod, define a realistic set of goals and do it once.

Once it’s gone you will miss it. I’m spending a lot of money getting back to where I was after I sold my last one.

Here is what it boils down to moneywise although it is at the bottom of the list for reasons why I might sell:

$300/Month Payment
$125/Month Insurance
$200/Month Gasoline

Thats $625/month out of my pocket. Not really a big deal.

Cars have been my hobby since I can remember helping my dad build his 1963 Split-window Vette. Ever since then, although I have many hobbies, cars have been my main focus. But seriously, when is it time to grow up? I’m in college. The last thing I should be worried about is what exhaust to put on my car. I should be focused on saving, investing, grades, small hobbies that I enjoy, fishing, boating, hunting, etc.

I just really don’t know

You’ll have to be the one to ask yourself if this is realistic for you. Most people on this board can’t leave well enough alone and will perform mods, small or large.

By buying a “nice car”, it’s not like the temptation to do things to it will go away. It only seems that way because the car is so “nice” to start with. But it won’t, no matter how nice the car, it can always be made nicer. That’s why companies like Brabus, Kleemann, RUF, etc exist.

As for how you deal with that, that’s up to you.

The only time in your life that you should have a modified car, is when you’re comfortable at where you are, you have all your amedities in check, priorities figured out and you just need a hobby. Car modding should be just that, nothing more nothing less, a hobby, unless it’s your primary source of income.

If it is a hobby, and it’s your prefered hobby, then I don’t see why you should sell it. And if you do, you will miss it and want another one, ergo regret selling this particular one in the first place, because thanks to Murphy’s law, you will never find another as good or as “perfect”.

Everybody has their thing on which they spend money on, drugs, gambling, smoking, electronic gizmos, movies, walls of DVD’s, shoes, clothes etc. For most of the members of this forum, the “thing” is cars, therefore selling the one thing that we enjoy spending money on is not only contra-productive (putting money into something that dosn’t appreciate, just to sell it) but will also mean that eventially we will get back into it.

Hope this helps.

It sounds like you can afford it, but either you feel you should be doing “something else” with the money or you should be buying “something nicer” that you don’t have to “worry about modding”. If you’re a car guy, though you WILL “worry” about something on the car, I would say regardless of what you spent on it.

If you want my personal opinion, $625/month while in college seems to be quite a large expenditure. I am a car guy too but if I had that large an expenditure for one car per month, I would probably buy a cheaper car so I don’t feel like I’m spending every last dollar when I do throw mods at it.

I’m not just saying this for the heck of it, personally I have actually moved from a “nicer” car to something that is cheap, fun, and inexpensive to mod. I don’t feel dissatisfied with my decision in any way, I know I did the right thing.

Hey now. I’m 26 with 2 kids and I still think about what I’m going to do to my car lol. I tried to back out of the scene, it just leaves you feeling empty. IMO-I wouldn’t sell that car. It’ll probably end up in the hands of some young driver and get wrecked.

You all have some really good points. I slept on it last night and summer is right around the corner. If I sell I will be pissed lol. SO im not selling. :banana

They’re junk, sell it.

:wow Haha

dont do it…youll regret it :headbang

I could never sell a car that I enjoy modding. Why? Because EVERY one of my friends also enjoy modding their cars.

Damn… I need to get a new set of friends…

:+1 :drink