To Ship or Drive my new truck from Texas?

What would you do and why?

I am pretty sure I am going to have it shipped because I don’t really have the time to go get it with the Dealership opening, but it’s going to cost $1000 to ship it and it will take 9 days to get here.

The Truck is a 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax, Crew Cab Z-71 4X4. I have this week off from my day job, but I have been at the lot every day working on getting it the way I want it for the opening with this nice weather. I’m having a tough time with justifying the cost of shipping vs what my time is worth.

The truck is in Mckinney TX and I am in Tonawanda NY. How is the drive? Has anyone done it? 1400 miles, 22hours of driving, 2 plane tickets $260 (can’t drive that long alone), gas $250, meals for co-driver $?, temp tags $?, maybe stopping to rest, wanting to kill other drivers, ect.

Thoughts?

Texas isn’t bad. I’ve done it twice before from Rochester to Dallas. This time of year it should be a breeze. Meals are cheap (Find a store before you leave, take a collapsible cooler with you on the plane).

Not sure about temp tags though, never had to do that.

I’ve get to do Buffalo to Salt Lake City in January/Februrary with 2 cars, 2 drivers, 2 dogs, 1 cat… 30+ hours… that’s gonna suck.

I drove cross country to pick up a car, and am anxiously waiting to do it again.

X…

I’d add up the cost of my time and the cost of gas and then make a decision after comparing the result to shipping quotes.

Get some bids on the job by listing it uship.com.

I’ve shipped six cars with shippers I’ve found via that site, saves a ton vs. a DAS quote (though DAS does bid on jobs through uship.com as well).

I think its fun, I’ve driven from Houston to Buffalo a few times.

A month temp tag is $25 here in Texas. Drive it you’ll enjoy it!!

I did this in ‘04, bought a smokin’ deal offline and flew a one way southwest ticket to houston, picked up at the airport by the owner, 20min drive to the truck, 45min of paper work then i drove non-stop by myself from the belt in houston to youngstown.

Think i just bought some junk food at the gas station. Non-stop except for gas, caffeine pills were my only buddy, fun time. Texas has smokin’ deals on trucks.

Ship it. That will be 1400 less miles on your new truck.

Drive it, live a little :tup:

Ship it.Already going to cost you at least 500 for tickets and gas. + food and energy drinks perhaps. Take advantage of the weather.
If you need a hand with anything let me know.Im free wed and friday would love to help out. If you need any small electrical work done ill do it for free bud.

Drove a Lexus back from Miami with my brother a couple years back, it was a pretty good experience, we drove the 24+ hours non stop as well.

If you have the week off from work, its worth it. If you need to take time, or lose pay then shipping makes more sense.

I’ve had several cars shipped from austin, I remember it being 700-900 dollars each time…

So it will cost you $400 or so to ship. That be my choice.

drive it back

Drive it, I’m a huge fan of cross country trips lol

If it were an amazing car, I’d say drive. But this is a run of the mill truck…and as mentioned will really only cost an additional ~$400 to ship it. I’d rather keep the 2 days of my life and spend that money to ship…

I love road trips of any type.

Drive it, but do it yourself so you’re not spending money on 2 plane tickets. When I flew to NC and did the 12 hour drive back with my GTO I just called and talked to friends/family on the phone when I got bored.

Take the money you save and stay at some cheap $50 a night motel about half way back. In hindsight breaking the trip into 2 days is the only thing I would have done different. You lose too much time getting to the airport early and even my 12 hour drive turned into a 22 hour day. Other than the last hour or so on the 219 where I was starting to go insane it was a great little adventure.

Why 2 plane tickets? I thought Alex was in MI? I would say ship it or take a mini lil vacation of more then 1 day. This depends if SHE is going with you or not

Seriously fly in yourself and drive back alone. It is only a 24 hour drive.

I live in Houston and drove back it is no big deal. I wouldn’t even get a hotel room. If you get tired pull over and take a little 2 hour nap. Then hit the road again!

I think the experience would be worth it. I’ve done both before and in a modern vehicle with all the amenities it’d be a superb trip. Take a good friend and enjoy the drive.

Ended up shipping it. I need the time here wayyyyy more than to save $400 bucks. I have driven 17hrs straight before for my last truck, and 13hrs straight for my S4, and it is not going to be as fun as it could be if it were in some fun car, driving a truck is meh. I need the days to be about 24hrs longer as it is to get things done at the lot. My time is worth too much right now. Only issue I have is having to wait the 9-13 days to get my truck :frowning: