Tools.

I am starting to build my collection of hand tools, but I have yet to invest in a nice set of sockets and a ratchet. Im just not really sure if I should invest is princessauto crap and just replace it everything something breaks or save my money for a long time and go for the expansive/last forever (snap on ect…) high quality road.
I would love to have nice tools, but $170 just for a ratchet, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?
Some of my car buddies suggest getting good ratchets, but crap sockets and just replacing them every time they bust.

Anyone with experience in buying cheep crap tools and expensive good tools, your 2 cents is appreciated.

Canadian Tire has their 180ish pc socket set on sale right now. Mastercraft Maximum for $99, as opposed to $199… Definitely worth it. Don’t cheap out on hand tools, especially ratchets and things with moving pieces.

^^ They’re on sale until Friday May 2. I’m definitely gonna be swinging in to my local CT on Friday when I get paid to pick up a set, since my nice big set got ripped off on me…

You don’t have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on hand tools, but I wouldn’t recommend anything less than a 150+ pc set of Mastercraft, Snap-On, Craftsman, or something reputable like that.

Spend a reasonable amount now, or curse as you rip a knuckle off because your ratchet decided to shear the teeth inside.

Depends on your usage, really. If you’re just working on your car, I’d go with the cheaper stuff. I have the “premium” range of the Mastercraft from crappy tire, and they’ve held up pretty well so far. I put it in quotes, because I don’t see anything from CT ever being premium, but they are better than their base line.
I’d invest in a nice torque wrench… You do want to spend a bit more to get quality for that… That’s about it really.

Edit: I just noticed DJPyro posted before me :stuck_out_tongue:
I have that Mastercraft Maximum set that’s on sale right now, but I think I have a few less wrenches in it, same amount of sockets, etc. Pretty happy with it, the ratches have release buttons for the sockets, so they don’t just come off on their own. It’s a pretty handy feature.

Nice tools are nicer to work with… crappy tools break and you end up busting you hands when you punch the side of the engine block. If you have the money to spend on nicer tools, do it. If not the PA junk will suffice until you do.

My .02

I own mostly craftsmen tools. I picked up the set a couple years back, It was a 500+ piece set I believe. Regular pirce was something like $850 but I got it on sale for around $400. Nothiings broke yet, and even if it does it comes with a lifetime warrenty.

at 10 dollars for a 50 piece set, jobmate seems like a decent deal. I bought 3 just in case, and guess what? i’m down to 2 sets and this was in the last half a year. I’m probably going for some mastercraft maximum this week.

I’ve been working with suspension recently alot on my car.
And honestly, I have a REALLY shitty toolset. I broke a hammer (don’t ask) and cracked multiple sockets.

My next purchase is a decent air compressor, basic airtools, and a good socket set.

I only recommend buying lifetime warranty. If you plan on full time, very serious mechanic don’t cheap out. Buy the Snap on and save all receipts just incase and all that for warranty. May seem like a HUGE price but you will never spend it again…

Snap On & Jet ftw…both with a lifetime warrenty, and both guarentee perfection.

I HAD a 100 piece Jet set that cost about $480 after taxes. To bad it was stolen while in my dads old safari…gmc ftl!

Most of my tools are Craftsman and Husky. We’ve also got a few Mastercraft stuff, specifically Mastercraft Maximum torque wrenches, and ratcheting combination wrenches.

My dad and I have been collecting tools since 1994 (him since the 70’s). But I must admit, Princess Auto does have some nice stuff. We’ve picked up a couple of stuff from them like pneumatic cut-off tools, socket extensions, brake piston spreaders, and misc. stuff that really doesn’t take a beating.

mastercraft… you brake it go into any crappy tire and get another…
Tourqe wrenches go big or go home… u dont want it to break when your heaving with around 100ibs of force and u cant aford for it to be inacurate…

for stuff like wrenches id go with mastercraft and CT stuff. but for torques wrenches, id look for higher quality. however, I know that the mastercraft torque wrench is really good for the money (199.99 I think). If your actually going to be a mechanic, then go for better stuff from matco and snap on since theyre know for quality and warranty.

mastercraft for sure, i’d go with the regular stuff… not the maximum. the maximum looks better and costs more but IMO it breaks more, i’ve always used the regular stuff and have only broken 1 ratchet, 2 sockets and an extension in like 4 years of using my tools pretty much every day. i bought a maximum set in february and have already broken 1 ratchet and 1 extension in 3 months. also the sizes on the sockets are hard to read on the maximum of the socket is dirty or scratched up as it’s just painted on, the regular mastercraft has it engraved into it.

IMO, while the expensive stuff is a lot nicer to use and doesn’t break as much, it just isn’t worth it. i’d go to CT once every few months to return a socket if it means i can save over $10,000 on my tool set. if you actually work on yours cars you go to CT at least once a week anyway, haha.

Wait until a sale on the Mastercraft stuff, it can be the maximum stuff if you plan on using it a bit. A lot of the time their big sets will go on half price. If you find you are using something a lot and you want to upgrade, then replace it with a Mac or Snap-on tool, but there isn’t any need to spend a bunch of money on something you probably aren’t going to use much.

Hell, go to princess auto and pick up some wrenches and if you find you’re using a few in particular, go replace those few with good ones.

most of my tools are mastercraft

just make sure it has a lifetime warranty

yea mastercraft is great

im not about to read all the crap in this thread. but

i go and buy about 4 of the 10 dollar special with the 50 sockets and 2 ratches. its not that that brake. iv only ever had the ratchets and the 3/8 to 1/4 conversion brake come to think of it… but i loose COUNTLESS sockets. like its retarted. but i dont have to shit a brick and look for my 60 dollar socket i dropped under the car and it rolled somewheres i just grab another one. its so nice not to have to worry about it.

that and when i clean my geradge i find thousands of sockets.

go with the 10 dollar set. wrenches, screwdrivers ect… (grey tools wrences and kline screwdrivers is what i have) those count. sockets? fuck em.

in order of the best to worst. Im sure most people would agree with this list

snap on- the best but most expensive
craftsman- amazing, and at an affordable price, and most of it is a lifetime warranty. I replaced one of of my grandfathers wrenches from like 1960 when it broke, no questions asked
mastercraft- great stuff, tonnes of Canadian tires everywhere so its easy to replace broken tools. iirc all mastercraft is lifetime warranty
princessauto/local parts store(napa stuff)- meh ok, i wouldnt buy it unless it had a lifetime warranty
jobmate- pretty much good for nothing. i bought their wrench set cause it was on sale and hated it. they were too short and had horrible grip.

torque wrench u get what u pay for. my torque wrench is from like 1960 lol. but it works, and its craftsman so maybe it will break and ill get a new one soon? lol

you forgot grey tools. i put them right under snap on. and for screwdrivers i put kline at the top. impact tools snap on all the way. and mac makes some good shit to.

some comp. make good sockets, but no good wrences, or awsome screwdrivers but no good ratches. get me?

CT master craft is good becuase they have a warranty on them i`d use them but for now i have my brothers 10,000+ dollar snap on stuff hes built his collection over the years but its not much diferenty then master craft same warranty