Toronto people (And others), did you lose Speed Channel?

Here in London, Rogers has bumped Speed from Channel 55 to 81, thereby eliminating it from their most popular cable package and making it accessible to those willing to spend ANOTHER 30 bucks/month to get one of their stupid VIP packages. What did they replace the only automotive channel available with? American Movie Classics :{

Speed Channel wasn’t perfect (hell, I complain a lot about it), but it was all we had, so I’m p.o.'ed about this. How is it in Toronto or elsewhere?

around here it moved from 61 to BOTH 81 AND 39 … who cares, unless your a NASCAR fan, it’s a useless station now anyway.

Sucks to hear it moved in T.O.,too. And I don’t like NASCAR, but Car and Driver did an amazing story on Speed Channel about 6 months back, and it showed that, although Speed IS NASCAR-heavy, it’s no more so than even when the channel debuted in 1996. Besides, now this means even less F1 coverage (TSN sucks), no Barrett-Jackson auctions, no up-and-coming drifting coverage (they were just starting to do so), no more of the awesome Canadian shows Dream Car Garage and Sports Car Revolution…

There’s plenty to like on Speed… even as much as there is to hate. And now I’m like a junkie without a fix.

its like channel 68 or somethin now with R.o.d but basic cable doesnt have it anymore…so it cant put me to sleep at night anymore

G4/tech TV has D1 USA coverage. and in a previous post I’ve URL’ed a few motorsport only BT sites… now, I don’t even bother with TV for my race coverage I just DL it as same day or next day BT’s.

regardless, rogers pissed me off with it’s traffic shaping of it’s internet service, I’llb e moving to DSL and FTA dish service.

FTA is ( free to air ) look it up online… you buy any round dish and the FTA sta receiver… after that you pay nothing… ( theres more to it obviously but really anyone with a PC and the net is set ). Look it up, it’s worth while.

yea i dont have it n e more either…not to happy about it…i liked that street bike show that was on every so often…im very angered

haha

i dont know for you guys but im in scarborough and i have a digital box and it moved to 43 from 46. i dont pay any additional package. just the basic. speed is a really good channel. superbikes, pinks, uniquewhips, barret jackson, street tuner challenge, redline tv, nopi tunervision, payback, monster jam, etc… so to those who think speed is only for nascar fans i think you should try watching speed a little bit more.

yyeaa wooooo gooo alex …haha

I personally prefer TSN’s F1 coverage over Speeds… their feed is usually 10secsonds before Speeds, and the commentary is more relevant IMHO.

What he said… horrible taste in shows though… :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally miss Victory by Design the most… whether there’ no more, or they just don’t carry the show… one of the best IMO. I also liked their Sports Mondial(sp), and the once-in-a-blue-moon Touring/DTM/European race series coverage. I would kill for more coverage overseas.

Same move for Markham and most people in the GTA that’s Woodbridge and East. 46 to 43
Don’t know why though…

At least the Score is only one click up… that’s a convenience! :stuck_out_tongue:

remember the good ol’days when they used to show WRC races and coverage on speed? yeah those where good days.

Allot of shows left with the switch to ‘SPEED’ from the original station ‘Speedvision’. SPEED introduced a very biased NASCAR slant… esp. during peak/prime time hrs. As an example, Speed vision used to show, during prime time, BTCC/ Aussie touring car, the complete 24hrs of Le mans, non stop and the FULL 4 day coverage of WRC ( 3 days plus the rally XS wrap up). Now they show BTCC and AUS touring car as noon time fillers, a full year out of date. Le Mans gets shorted by likes of Speed news NASCAR edition and whatever other Nascar show they have. so 24hrs gets turned into ~ 6-8 hrs. and WRC was complete dropped and their hr long shows like unique whips… WTF demographic is that suppose to hit? It’s got to be the most boring show on there… including the infomercials. Those retarded, ’ test drive’ shows. wow… and they honestly think no one will realize they are just more infomercials.

People like Alan DeCadenae, a real driver, is reduced to colour commentary at those retarded auction shows… where as that moron Bob Varsha who’s never been behind a wheel of a car that wasn’t in OEM trim, some how has the ‘experience’ to announce and try to talk about open wheel, prototype, GT and saloon racing.

Tuner/import shows consist of 1/2hr low budget, crap production, insipid and inane shows based around supa-kun morons and vacuous bimbos.

You get more out of one episode of muscle car on spike then you would in a whole week of watching SPEED.

Damn… this makes basic cable even less boring, even though I don’t even tune to it after I got my FTA. Just keep it subscribed incase the machine doesn’t roll or needs a software flash.

I just got myself a Coolsat 8000. Free HD is amazing! :wink:

good thing I dont watch tv that much. It’s all about foruming and actually going out :smiley:

Well, sure, if you put it like that, lol!

I totally agree with you. But like I said, that’s all we had!
The problem is that the audience for all those things you listed is very small here in North America, even if they are a loud, vocal minority. So it’s not in many business interests to cater to such a small group. Too bad… I really missed WRC events, BTCC, and Speed World Challenge (They sponsor the series, and don’t even play the events live!).

crap, your getting FTA in HD? the local FTA dealer said it wasn’t out yet… where did you go for your setup? ( pm if you’d rather).

Okay, I’m a newb… what’s FTA? How much is it? And how do I score it?

FTA= Free To Air

sat. TV without a carrier like Bell or Starchioce. Just like the good ol’ days back when I was a kid with the 5’ dishes. the system allows you to view free sat TV signals as well as the ability to unlock subscription signals at no cost. The latter being the most important. FTA allows for up to 8 receivers on a single dish I think… although I thought a read about a 16 receiver system out there.

Coolsat’s the only manufacturer who currently has a working HD unit, but only works on BEV and not DAVE. Viewsat and the others should follow suit shortly. I prefer the Coolsat anyways due to its flashing simplicity, but NORW takes long to issue new updates.

Sold one of my CS6000’s (have 4 FTA recievers at home and 1 at work) and bought the unit from an online retailer in the US. I was probably one of the first few in Toronto to own one of these (but paid $800). Local retailers are pre-ordering now for about $550-600.

Sorry if I’m loosing anyone here with all the sat lingo. If anyone needs more info, you can PM me so we can keep this thread on topic.