Torrent Alternatives

I am getting sick and tired of Rogers throttling bandwidth for torrenting…it is ridiculously slow.

It doesn’t bother me so much as I am rarely in Toronto, but I was wondering where most of you guys get your TV shows, songs, movies etc…

I used to have a megaupload account and could do direct downloads at full bandwidth speeds, it was nice. Now I get pissed everytime I have to download anything here in Toronto.

I’ve heard of people using IRC, newsgroups, rapidshare, limewire etc…anyone care to share some secrets?

Are you using bit torrent to download? i also noticed really slow speeds with that, then I tried using FrostWire and its extremely faster.

i use utorrent and download from demonoid.me always fast

+1
i download at 1.3 mb some times. average 700 kb’s

Are you guys one of the lucky few who don’t get throttled?

Is Rogers your ISP?

I get a whopping 13 KB/s on a good day using ANY torrent, regardless of seeds.

i’m with bell, but one of my friends is with rogers, he gets better speeds than me.
13kb are you serious? that’s messed up!

I get killer download speeds on utorrent too, upload speed is horrible though.

im rogers in brampton and north york

Yaknet 5mbit connection, unlimited bandwidth. Running Vuze downloading primarily from eztv and thepiratebay and i average 300kbps. weaksauce but not bad considering the price im paying.

Yaknet is going to impose a bandwidth limit so i’m going to switch to CIK, a 7mbit connection with unlimited bandwidth.

i dont mind the slower connection speed since i’m never home.

i get everything from megaupload.

torrents suck shit

IRC- i don’t trust, speeds and content suck… Bots sucks
News Groups - are wicked fast but pain in the ass to setup, can’t really comment on content
Rapidshare & limewire - SHIT!

My vote- Just stick to torrents and try different apps and sites

I tried to join, it is invite only…send me one? lol

rapidshare
megashares
megaupload

so many to list… ya you pay a membership fee but it maxes out your internet connection. been using it for over a year, will not touch torrents.

uTorrent and any torrent website works fine for me and I have Rogers. I usually get around 1 MB/s - 1.2MB/s.

Are you sure you’ve opened the ports and forwarded them to your IP on your router? If they aren’t open and re-directed it would explain why you get a really low speeds.

Don’t touch FrostWire or Limewire, mad viruses.

IRC is good and stable, but finding what you’re looking for is a bit of a challenge.

If I refuse to actually buy the games/movies/music, there is no way I’d pay for a rapidshare account or megaupload so I can download stuff.

You might be interested in Usenet, it’s a newgroup type thing, but you have to pay for it. I’ve never used it, but I’ve heard its really fast and you can find TONS.

lol wheres the people using premium Rapidshare accounts & warez! my downloads are 530kbs, with Bell. Would be getting more if theyd upgrade my area with optical wiring already!..ugh!

Limewire is dead, Frostwire is up and running, viruses aren`t a problem if you know what your looking for and have anti-virus.

krgoodwinXux5w91igirog7kezpg9mnqvmi2o71

wtf^

also i hate to shit in a thread … but what does this have to do with car chat ? haha

i get like 900kb/s with cogeco but i keep going over my limit of usage

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

bitcomet , from bt junkie

utorrent and isohunt for tv/movies. albumhunt for music

use bittorent than just change the port to a random (in a higher range preferably) port cause rogers throttles speed on certain ports only apparently. Also if you’ve got balls and are tech savy enough to do it, change the tcpip.sys file to accept more incoming connections, but know that doing so will increase the ability for viruses and worms to spread like mad once you are infected to other computers in the home or even network wide. i don’t really use torrent but i stream my own media and such and also run an FTP server so i’ve been using this tactic with that and i’ve noticed crazy fast ul and dl times.

Hope that helps