Toyota smear campaign?

Durring the past few weeks, as this toyota/lexus recall has been going on, has anyone noticed the amount that it has been covered on local/national news. This is just a thought of mine and in no way do i think its true. but i feel like the news is almost running a smear campiagn against toyota. Recalls happen all the time. I know this recall is a bit more major, saftey wise. but does that mean that it has to be mentioned on the news 24/7. Government payed smear campaign against toyota to make GM sales rise? Most likely, im completley and interily wrong. But it was just a thought of mine. Anyone else get this feeling?

You are “interly” wrong

it is big news, and people care about it, Toyota not sellling many cars is bad for the us economy as well… Most of the cars/parts are made here and sone of the models are assembled here

When something goes wrong for 'The World’s Largest ________" people pay attention.

Are you kidding me? The MSM has been hurling shit at GM and Chrysler for almost a year on quality. “If they were building cars that were up to the competition’s quality standard they wouldn’t be in this mess” :blah:

It’s news because Toyota pulled a Tiger Woods and spun a stupid lie instead of getting the problem out in the open and moving on. First they said no problem, then blamed floor mats, then they said it was just some binding at the far end of pedal travel that they could solve with a little shim. Now more agencies and owners are claiming the problem may be more complicated and have something to do with the electronic throttle. Plus, before the shim recall design was released Toyota was claiming the pedal would stick gradually and start returning slowly before it stuck. That implies a resistance along the entire travel of the pedal, something a shim that stops the last 1/16th of an inch or so will do nothing to address.

So yeah, I think it’s news worthy.

In no way am i arguing the safety problems. Just talking about the Massive amount of news coverage about this problem. This is going to kill Toyota’s reputation for the next few years! and the news is sealing the deal! Is anyone else surprised with the amount of coverage? Or is it just me, or maybe its YNN in buffalo because they have nothing else to report about. This is comparable to the Goodyear tire recall that ford had in the late 90s. and correct me if I’m wrong, but i don’t remember it being covered as thoroughly. I guess my only argument here is the TV coverage.

Did you read the posts above? I think there are a lot of solid points pointing to why it is so news worthy…

well, its one of those… uhhhh… things where…

yea I heard the same thing on the radio and was very surprised.

It said something closely realated to “dont worry about toyotas reliability problems and buy nissan”

27 months now, still haven’t been in for service yet. Enjoy your slow rusty shitboxes and your gf’s cube with shitty tires :tup:

I still think Bob Lutz fucked your mom or something. No one can be that biased against a company without it being personal.

Anyone remember the Ford/Firestone disaster? The media was all over that shit for a while. And those are US companies. In time pretty much everyone forgot and both companies are still in business. Like others have said though, the denial and lying will be 10X worse for their reputation than if it had just been a faulty part that they owned up to.

Off topic, I heard the most sappy cheesy Toyota “I’m sorry” commercial on the radio today, and then one on TV. I’m sure there will be many more soon.

Not to mention Prius brakes and now this “unexpected veering” in Corollas and Camrys. Every automaker has had recalls, and domestics more than their fair share in the past, but the covering-up is what is doing them in.

Do you work with Beck?

You also can’t compare late 90s media coverage to 2010 media coverage completely different times.

This is no more a smear campaign than anything else they do so, yeah, I guess it is a smear campaign. lol

i don’t think any media companies would inappropriately bash one of their largest and most consistent sources of advertising revenues.

this toyota case is the probably one of if not the most interesting consumer issue to be in the public eye EVAR!!!

Toyota CREATED an entire ‘quality industry’ with everyone trying to be like toyota… now they falter MASSIVELY in quality… i wont repeat the details but JayS summed it up nicely.

Toyota estimated $2,000,000,000 in warranty repair costs and it is estimated that the legal, lawsuit and settlement costs will be more than $2,000,000,000…

THAT’S $4 BILLION.

Toyota’s credit rating is being downgraded

The blue book value on all affected cars will take a 2.5% - 3.5% hit which may or may not be recoverable through class action suit… that write down would cost Toyota several more BILLION DOLLARS…

I cannot think of anything more complicated and more interesting that this in the world right now… and it’s not even close to having unfolded completely.

It wont ruin the Toyota brand completely, but it will be a major case in point of how
the bigger they are, the harder they fall’.

^Speaking of that I am going to call the lean mfg consultant that bragged about Toyota all of the time. lol

The shim works because it seperates the two parts enough to where it doesn’t wear. It doesn’t stop/constrict the movement of anything. Is it the right fix? I don’t know, but it seems to work pretty well and make sense. :gotme:

i HATE it when people idolize toyota in professional meetings using ideals like ‘quality and size’

quality and size are not in the top 5 most desireable traits of a brand or specifically an automotive brand.

Quality is a minimum requirement and size is irrelevant.

profitability, brand equity, sustainability, etc. etc. these are things that actually matter… toyota just took a shit on every one of them… so much for quality and size.

even the most devote toyota-humpers have to agree that the jury is still out on this whole thing… no one knows with any level of certainty what the problem is and what the fix is.