Toyota smear campaign?

Beck for engineer of the week :tup:

Toyota screwed up big time; this is a HUGE news story. You could make the argument that there is a conflict of interest when the transportation secretary comes out and says “don’t drive these (Toyota) vehicles” since he works for the government and the government “owns” GM. (which he retracted) But considering everything Toyota is dealing with, it’s doesn’t matter either way.

We’ll have to wait to see how this effects them in the long run.

Based on the news coverage I would assume at least 10,000 people were murdered by Toyota. What is the total number killed so far?

Thats EVERY lean consultant… you will have to be more specific.

From November last year:

NHTSA said its records now show that a total of 15 people died in crashes related to possible sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles from the 2002 model year or newer, compared with 11 such deaths in vehicles made by all other automakers.

But you also have to consider they are only selling roughly 16% of the cars during that time. So that 15 cars is ~715% of the industry average.

It’s big news because the company that basically defined modern quality control fucked up so badly they had to completely shut down manufacturing. Business schools will be studying this for decades.

…“NHTSA said…possible sudden”…

I guess its “possible” that every crash was caused by this. Well I mean except Government Motors cars of course. :wink:

Those 15 were from people stacking floormats. There have been 5 incidents of where the pedal materials are sticking and causing sudden acceleration, and 0 people have died.

I don’t see why the floormats are Toyota’s gig, but they are taking care of it regardless.

If you saw the way this shim fit into the pedal assembly, you’d be shocked. It’s almost as if it should have been there the whole time. The way it lines up and there are little lips on the assembly that holds it in place.

Either way, everyone I’ve talked to ~ 500 Toyota owners are “meh” about the whole thing. Couldn’t care less and will continue driving/buying Toyota’s. :tup:

Almost like it was engineered that way!

i was just about to post this actually, there really hasn’t been many cases at all, i think a few hundred came forward and said thats what happened to them, but only 5 were actually that problem…

and the way i look at it, toyota is doing right by this, only 5 cases and they are already recalling them all, thats a stand up job if i’ve ever seen one.

look at how many explorers burned for no reason, or durango’s wheels fell off before they issues recalls

yea toyota owners are nuts about their cars, i really dont think this will change much, they will still have their customer base

Will this mean the resale values of Toyotas will go down? I’d really like a Tacoma, but used ones are way overpriced.

Jay, i think you got your facts a bit messed up… Auto blog has done a good job covering this.

The pedal recall, and the Shim recalls are two separate recalls

The pedal recall addresses the misshaped floor mats by grinding down the pedal, this is only on certain cars…

the SHIM, is actually a spring, to return the pedal back up to its full position

KBB already has them down about 2.5-3%, with a possibility of dropping more, depending on how the recalls are handled.

^ That’s what I’m more worried about, not that I’m planning on selling my taco anytime soon. They aren’t even effected by any of the recalls and the values are already dropping. The good thing though is it may place the prices back in check. When I bought mine in March of 07, the used trucks were only ~5 grand cheaper than brand new. That’s comparing a 3yr old truck with 40-50K on it to a brand new vehicle, same options, sticker price to sticker price.

Kills any thought of refinancing, resale value…

Toyota: Recalls won’t totally fix gas pedal issues

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/02/23/965938/driver-recalls-6-miles-of-highway.html

Or maybe it only works some of the time Beck. :wink:

well about toyotas recalls. the whole reason this blew up is a guy died doing 120, but they sometimes forget to say he was a cop and called 911 for help. then he could even try to put the car in nutruel or turn it off(thats jus dumb). there has only been a few accidents and some of them was because of stacking floormats. people r sayin, first it was the floor mats, then its the pedals, now its electrical toyota doesnt know what there talkin about. well first the floormats are a known problem, happens all the time to all car makes, the second the shim fix’s the pedal sticking to the ground. (pedal is an american part, that also ford and other car companies have, so itll be fun to see what other companies do when it happens to them.) and the third electrical issues were not done by studys jus, american companies sayin it could be so chek it out.

as one person said the goverment it smearing toyota how else are they gonna get there money back from gm, easy smash toyota so that they can manage there sales.

also not to mention honda has recalls right now. gm has recalls out for new cars, no one is saying anything about that. but time will tell and we will see what hapens.

o and if anyone has any questions, i work for toyota so if i can answer something give me a shout. and im not only into toyotas i like all cars, i jus go by the facts and over the years the trends of cars, and the way there going.

Sounds like you’ve got some interesting inside info…

you know what…

i sorta do feel like there is a valid counter-point here when discussing how all the other companies having recalls do not result in congressional hearings…

and yeah the GOV being staked in GM does pose an interest conflict of interest.

There is meat in those points for sure imho, but i don’t think it matters.

However, it did occur to me how incredible it would be if Toyota came right out with a big FU and called the GOV out on it and refused services or response to the GOV until the other manufacturers were held to a similar standard.

Toyota needs to not be a pussy here… they are a large enough employer to scare the living shit out of ALOT of cities that would evaporate if they played hardball here… i’d like to see that to be honest.