Track Prepping my MKIV GTi

Well this summer I’ll be attending many track days and auto-x events…I was curious as to what I could do to better my GTi’s handling and track performance. I don’t want to cage it for obvious reasons, and I don’t want to do anything that will be TOO extreme for it being my DD.

Things I was curious about are Solid mounts, Upper and lower front and rear strut and sway bars.

I’m also curious as to what I can do to have my shoulder belt lock to keep me in the seat. I’d rather not run a harness bar and harness again, because of obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance.
-Steve

cg lock. race tires. then tweaks etc…

CG lock is a waste of money.

Tires, Brake pads, ducting for the brakes, that’s IT.

Thanks for the info, I should have mentioned whats been done.

I have a rear strut bar and a cup kit. All the bushings have been replaced about a month ago as well. I love how it handles, but I’m sure it could always handle better.

Any suggestions on a brake setup?

Can you suggest anything else to hold me in the seat? I’m very skinny and the bolstering on my seats is pretty minimal.

Pads and ducting, that’s it. Get some good backing plates and some OG Racing ducts (or cdoc).

At the absolute most get a used Sparco from someone to swap in for track days and AutoX.

Thank you sir. Appreciate it.

if you’re gonna do that you should prob get a roll bar

also, the cup kit is rather soft, no?

Not really, I hit a bump and the whole car takes it.

rear sways work wonders on mk4s

Dont mod the living hell out of it. Learn to drive on the current setup, adapt, then start adding things slowly but surely.

Pads, Ducting, Seat. Maybe a steering wheel (sparco comp, or something of that like).

Where can I find the ducting online?
If I were to do the steering wheel what would I do about the airbag situation?

I personally would NEVER remove my factory airbag. that is just retarded, unless you plan on never driving it on the streets.

P.S your insurance would go nuts if they found out

Thats what i was thinking. I’m going to see if there may be a smaller factory steering wheel. I think the '04-ish GTI’s came with a smaller ‘sport’ steering wheel.

jam’s right, rear 28mm sway’s do wonders on MKIV’s…

BUT… i do agree with learning to drive as is… then adding later.

Anyone have any links to the sways? I want to price them and bookmark the page for future reference.

Again, Thanks guys.

Why would you assume a smaller wheel is better/sportier? For sways I would Look at nuespeed.

I don’t care about how sporty the wheel is, a smaller wheel is better to use from what I’ve heard. I’m a n00b when it comes to this but I’m learning :slight_smile:

Actually, your insurance doesnt go nuts. When was the last time your agent checked every aspect car, much less knew what exactly it was equipped with?

In my case, I dont trust 20 year old pyrotechnics in my face, hence the stock airbags in both my 5 series and my 951 being removed for Sparco comp wheels. That also has to due with personal preference for a slightly smaller wheel with a slightly larger grip (preferably in alcantara)

Quicker steering correction, easier at speed to turn it and get a set. Granted, it’s also twitchier and harder to steer at slow speed so it’s a trade off.

It’s totally a preference issue, I was just curious as to why he wanted a smaller wheel. I personally wouldn’t waste money on a wheel when I could buy a decent set of tires.