Trailer/Tow Dolly from UHaul

Anyone ever rent from them? Rates, things to avoid, etc? I have to haul a car back from Virginia, and don’t have any way to trailer it anymore. Unless anyone on here wants to rent me one…

They are a little scary, especially since they usually have a “45 MPH Max” sticker on the fender. Last time we took a trailer from Pittsburgh -> Columbus (2006) I think it was less than $100, though I feel like more recently they have imposed a mileage charge so it may be quite a bit more now.

For some offices you will want to make sure your trip matches up with the hours of the rental place and you’ve got a clear understanding of their rental/return policy. Some places lock up their gates and then you can’t return a rental outside of certain hours. I’ve rented other places, however, where they just let you drop off the trailer any time before the next renter is scheduled (e.g., any time between midnight and 7 a.m.).

I hauled mine on a Uhaul trailer. No problems with them or the trailer.

hmm…their website says my tow vehicle is insufficient for what I’m towing on a dolly. anyone know about that, or have any experience with their trailers? I’m towing a '66 Tbird (sans motor) with a '94 Silverado 1500 King Cab.

I’ve used both that they rent several times with now issues besides the chains being too long and dragging. I think as long as you know what your doing your good. Tell them your towing a 84 honda civic and if you think (know it’s good) to go, do it.

Their tow dolly’s don’t have brakes, but their trailers have surge brakes.

thanks…thats exactly what I was looking for…

I’ve towed bigger vehicles but never on a rented trailer. I just don’t want to either 1) lose the trailer on the interstate or 2) have to pay for axles when I return it.

It always seems to be a lot cheaper to rent it as an in-town (rent and return to the same place). I rented a 6x10 for 5 day a couple months ago as an in-town and went to Jersey and back with it. The only problem is a tow dolly is a pain in the ass to tow empty, but it can be done.

Their trailers do not have anything that can track mileage, so whatever they tell you your limit is just smile and say okay.

you shouldn’t have a problem with uhaul, as long as you have a regular hitch and not just a tow ball bolted to your bumper. I got a dollie from them a few months ago it only cost me like 50 for a half a day. Though dirty is right, when they are empty they are annoying as hell, bouncing and noisy.

Rent one down there

I have a Reese hitch, not a tow ball. And as far as renting it down there, that’s what I was planning on doing, as long as reservations are guaranteed. I don’t want to get down there and them be out of trailers.

You guys follow the speed limit posted on these? I think the a trailer is 55 and dolly is 45.

Pulling a car with a dolly on a highway with a speed limit of 65 doesn’t sound like much fun if you have far to go.

The speed limit is a joke but Dolly = Fail. Just get the trailer, it is so much more stable and in case something does happen in front of you, you at least get some kind of braking.

If you’re lucky, no one will be renting the trailer right before you, but I’d recommend calling ahead the morning of/night before to confirm that your trailer is there. I believe their “guarantee” is something like money back, not literally a guarantee that your rental is available no matter what.

I would definitely get the trailer. They’re heavy trailers because of that decoupling tongue or whatever it is and being steel, but they’re stable at highway speeds at least. Granted I only have a Civic but I had no problem with it on the trailer behind a 1/2 ton Chevy to Carlisle and back.

Just call ahead and reserve it.

Trailer and you can do 80-85 MPH no problem… I towed my WS6 down to Tennessee up and down all those hills… it wasn’t bad at all. And left the rented trailer down there

On-Topic
Serious Discussions and debates not related to Automobiles. Forum Rules are strictly enforced. No Post whoring, flaming, thread hijacking or smart ass replies.

there was a guy on racepa.org that rented his trailer out. I don’t know if be still does or not.

I guess I’m the outsider here, but I would never rent and expect to make it that distance with u-haul.

THe last tow dolly I rented barely made from dongel to connellsville, with a fiberglass jeep CJ on it. One tire was flat when I got, and the ball coupler would not stay tight. And it did have a milage indicator on the one wheel bearing.

The last trailer I rented was to bring a 4th gen camaro from point marion to connellsville. I picked it up, one chain was broke off. It was the only trailer they had, so I fixed it myself so I could go get the car, what a mistake. Later got a call from them wanting paid for damages. The lights didn’t work, fixed that too. Then after the car was loaded and we were heading home we found out that the surge brakes system was nonfunctional, and it was completely dry of fluid. Dry like being in a sand box after a 500 day drought.

Over all just bad after bad with u-hual for me.